Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Admin Center will not display (Read 3,789 times)
X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Admin Center will not display
Aug 9th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Post Tools
I just upgraded from 2.1 to 2.5.  Everything seems to be working fine, however I can not access the Admin Center with my admin login. Also, there is no logout or login buttons/links. The forum appears to be working fine at this point other the lack of access to the admin functions when logged in as the administrator.

In the upper left it says, "No Masterkey was set in the Security Settings/Validation Image section of the Admin Center
Now using default value which is less safe!!"

I don't have any links or buttons any where on the page to access the Admin Center. What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Admin Center will not display
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 6:13pm
Post Tools
Assuming this is the only issue (which I doubt as upgrading straight from <2.3.1 to 2.5 without first upgrading to 2.3.1 is tricky at best so I suspect there's something else going on.)

Open ./Variables/Settings.pl in the good text-editor and down around line 500 you should see something like:
Code
Select All
$masterkey = "";          # Seed for encryption of captcha's  

Put "H8t0vWf35hCvtUvFJo7L0D5G" as what the masterkey is equal to.

Also clear your cookies and cache on your computer. It's possible there's a cookie issue, especially if your old cookie was set to 'Forever'.

Edited:
I assume your forum is recognizing that you've logged in. But I'm worried about the Logout button being missing.  My best advice is to roll back to your last 2.1 backup and do the 2 step upgrade - 1st to 2.3.1 and then to 2.5.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2012 at 6:20pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:31am
Post Tools
The settings.pl file is not 500 lines long. I did a search for the string and $masterkey and it does not exist in the file.  Interesting is the fact the settings.pl file packed in the upgrade zip says Released Nov 8, 2005 for version 2.1.

IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:35am
Post Tools
sorry the settings.pl file isn't packed in the upgrade or full install version.  so that file must be from the original 2.1 installation.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:43am
Post Tools
The old Settings.pl will be overwritten when you run Setup.pl - which should also invoke routines to convert some of your older files to the new configuration.
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?board=upgrade

Make sure you have your old board backed up. And you may still want to do the two step process of moving first to 2.3.1 and then to 2.5. A little more work now can save you a lot of headaches later.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:46am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:10am
Post Tools
Thanks for the quick reply!

Hmmmm.... Everything works except for being unable to logout once logged in and having access to the Admin Panel.  I can read and post messages, modify them and whatever.

I tried running the setup program, and I get an error 500 server message. Looks like I'll have to start over  Sad

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:34am
Post Tools
Check and see if a file named Setup.lock exists in your ./Variables folder - if it does, delete it and try again.

For all their speed, patience is a major virtue when dealing with computers and software. Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 5:15am
Post Tools
It occurred to me to ask if you were certain that Setup.pl had its file permissions set to 755. Although that should throw a different error.

IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:53pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:34am:
Check and see if a file named Setup.lock exists in your ./Variables folder - if it does, delete it and try again.

For all their speed, patience is a major virtue when dealing with computers and software. Wink

Too late. I deleted everything and started from scratch with a fresh installation of the latest version. 

I'm have everything installed and perms set, but when I run the Setup.pl, it returns an error message that says:

An Error Has Occurred!

Unable to open ./Variables/cook.txt: Permission denied

I can't find a cook.txt file in the original zip or installed in that folder.  I tried looking through both the codex and doing a search but came up empty handed. What next?

IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:34am:

The folder was there, but I had already started removing the old version by the time I got your message. Thanks for your help so far. Now, if you can tell me where to find the cook.txt file. We might be okay.

IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:58pm
Post Tools
Never mind about the cook.txt file issue. Solved it.

The instructions says set the perms to the variable file folder to 755. It is wrong (or at least on my server) I changed it from 755 to 777 and now everything so far is peachy and I can get to the setup1 step.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:04pm
Post Tools
X-Man Wolvie wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:58pm:
Never mind about the cook.txt file issue. Solved it.

The instructions says set the perms to the variable file folder to 755. It is wrong (or at least on my server) I changed it from 755 to 777 and now everything so far is peachy and I can get to the setup1 step.

Once you've got setup done, see if things work with that setting back to 755. 777 is very insecure - but you have to use the settings that work. You might also want to check with your host to see what's going on with that.

Good luck  Cheesy

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 6:07pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:04pm:
Once you've got setup done, see if things work with that setting back to 755. 777 is very insecure - but you have to use the settings that work. You might also want to check with your host to see what's going on with that.Good luck   

on a NOTE: you should not have to make files "777" on Linux/Unix for YaBB to work. it shows incorrect server setup maybe the ftp username and password are not that of the root admin for the server you may want to as Dandello "check with your host to see what's going on with that."

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 6:41pm
Post Tools
Got everything working fine. A few more housekeeping things to do and then I can start working on GUI. Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 6:46pm
Post Tools
X-Man Wolvie wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 3:58pm:

For the record so that you can feel validated for what you did, what worked for you to CHMOD 777 from 755 is not a particularly uncommon practice. Or perhaps more accurately, years ago this is what installers did for our company when we were helping to install dozens of YaBB forums.

Most recently, I've done this myself just to get YaBB's installation to work on some test forums that I've been installing for practice.

Important: What's been stated about CHMOD 777 being insecure is what I've understood as well, so if at all possible, it's good, and recommended advice to CHMOD back to 755 to make your forum more secure.

I've followed this same good advice after my own YaBB installations. Fortunately so far, changing back to 755 has worked just fine.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools