Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) testing new anti-spam mod (Read 7,960 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: testing new anti-spam mod
Reply #15 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 12:21am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 11:31pm:
The bots stopped attacking one of my boards they were trying to get into just Friday - turned off everything, even cleaned out the SFS banned list to lure them in. 2 errors since Friday.  

Is this a new anti-spam thing we didn't know about - announce you're open for spam-bots and they run away?   Shocked

that or a spam botnet is down lol

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 12:31am
Post Tools
Here spam-bot, here little spam-bot... Smiley

Over here http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb252/YaBB.pl ya dumb programs...
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2012 at 12:33am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 7:11am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 12:31am:
Here spam-bot, here little spam-bot... Smiley

Over here http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb252/YaBB.pl ya dumb programs...

Lol.  Grin

On the subject of a random pic, if we're on the same page here, I use something similar on segnette.com forum registration. A photo at the top that has to be identified, although it doesn't change.

Between that and Spam Fruits, bam! Stopped darn near cold!  Smiley

Merv and anti-spam mod writers - 1
Spamtards - 0  Grin

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:52pm
Post Tools
I was informed of an observation that spam-bots have a hard time finding YaBB forums not in the default location of yabb2/

So to test this I've copied my testbed forum  (lock, stock and membership) to http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl.
So maybe now I can get spam-bots to check in.

This may also be a basic anti-spam-bot suggestions for new installs - change the name of the basic installation directory to something other that yabb2.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 9:58pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:52pm:
I was informed of an observation that spam-bots have a hard time finding YaBB forums not in the default location of yabb2/

As I understand it, our forums can easily be found by spam-bot automation no matter what directory is being used because they simply search for the YaBB.pl file that almost all of us use.

But no worries. After all, those of you in this discussion already know that installing anti-spam mods specifically designed for YaBB can easily defeat spam-bots.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:50pm
Post Tools
Oddly enough, after two+ days of nada, I changed the directory name and got a bite - along with someone trying to access message files without going through YaBB. (The files they were trying to get to aren't even in this install and the same IP address doing the same thing has hit all my forums.)

So, so far so good.  Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #21 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 1:02am
Post Tools
"Seeeee"?  LOL

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #22 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 3:25am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:50pm:
Oddly enough, after two+ days of nada, I changed the directory name and got a bite - along with someone trying to access message files without going through YaBB. (The files they were trying to get to aren't even in this install and the same IP address doing the same thing has hit all my forums.)

So, so far so good.  Smiley

Grin thats good did you check the ip see what it is?

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #23 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 3:38pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 3:25am:
Grin thats good did you check the ip see what it is?

Google.

And after moving the testbed to yabb2/  I've got lots of spam-bot hits (all blocked from the get-go.  Cheesy )  (And none on my non yabb2/ installs.)

The honeypot experts seem to think that the bots will learn to skip certain fields if they're always blocked there. But if that were true, then wouldn't the bots figure out that they're blocked at other anti-spam measures too? Just thinkin' aloud here.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #24 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Post Tools
cool you just need Bing / MSN Search and Brandwatch now and you will be spam-boted out  Grin
Dandello wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 3:38pm:
The honeypot experts seem to think that the bots will learn to skip certain fields if they're always blocked there. But if that were true, then wouldn't the bots figure out that they're blocked at other anti-spam measures too? Just thinkin' aloud here.

yep that's why you always need new anti spam measures or until we get to the point where we get beyond this well in star trek you never hear the line arrrr my spam box is full or lieutenant uhura: captain kirk i have a long range communication for you. captain kirk: put it on view screen.
lieutenant uhura: yes captain. communication: captain kirk have you ever thought what will happen if captain kirk: end transmission..
Grin lol

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #25 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 3:06pm
Post Tools
112 spam-bots blocked since I installed the honeypot ( Aug 13th, 2012 at 2:23pm) - this is on a forum with no other anti-spambot mods active. (The forum does have anti-spam-post mods active.)

Note that the test forum has no Google presence, and only 2 incoming links.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #26 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:30pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 3:06pm:
112 spam-bots blocked since I installed the honeypot ( Aug 13th, 2012 at 2:23pm) - this is on a forum with no other anti-spambot mods active. (The forum does have anti-spam-post mods active.)

Note that the test forum has no Google presence, and only 2 incoming links.  

google has been on it thow https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=http:%2F%2Ftestbe...

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #27 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:31pm
Post Tools
The forum that used to be at that address was on their list - but that's moved and I didn't tell Google. (You can do that, ya know.) So it keeps trying.

But the Google issues points out an interesting problem/bug - messages that are missing because they were removed don't throw a 404 error on the server level. So Google never realizes that the files are missing and so keeps trying to find them.

This is from my server error log:
Code
Select All
[Sun Aug 19 12:57:47 2012] [error] [client ] File does not exist: /testbed/500.shtml, referer: http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/AdminIndex.pl?action=setup_guardian
[Sun Aug 19 12:57:47 2012] [alert] [client ] /testbed/cgi-bin/yabb2/.htaccess: deny requires at least two arguments, 'from' followed by hostnames or IP-address wildcards, referer: http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/AdminIndex.pl?action=setup_guardian
[Sun Aug 19 12:40:23 2012] [error] [client 208.115.113.88] script not found or unable to stat: /testbed/cgi-bin/yabbshado
[Sun Aug 19 12:40:22 2012] [error] [client 208.115.113.88] script not found or unable to stat: /testbed/cgi-bin/yabbshado
[Sun Aug 19 12:17:32 2012] [error] [client 62.31.203.252] File does not exist: /testbed/favicon.ico
[Sun Aug 19 11:28:53 2012] [error] [client 79.186.1.143] script '/wp-login.php' not found or unable to stat 

now Yabbshado was removed - it was a test and is genuinely gone and the client IP does belong to a search engine.

favicon.ico doesn't exist

and client 79.186.1.143 is probably a badbot because it's trying to access a path that has never existed for that domain and a file that doesn't exist anyway (at least not in the public root).

Now in the YaBB error log, there are dozens of 'The information you are trying to access is not available to you. ./Messages/1329839152.txt' every day.

These messages are not there. but the search engine can't be told it's missing because the error message is the wrong one.

Granted - not too many regular forum admins just rename their old forum directory and put a new one under the old name but as a future tweak - a way of throwing a proper 404 error  when message files/ attachments/ etc. are genuinely gone.

(And the first two errors above were due to an experiment with Guardian. That's what testbeds are for.)
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:35pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #28 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:37pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:30pm:

But look what it's saying - YaBB 2.6. Google hasn't updated the content.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:39pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #29 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 7:08pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:30pm:

This is one of the interesting things about Google that a lot of people don't know; that despite what webmasters try to do, and this is a good thing, Google is generally very good at identifying relevant links.

In Dandello's case, she's doing her part to fight spam-bots, so Google will look at her anti-spam attempts very kindly, and rightly so. As such, when people using YaBB want to fight spam, her site will comes up to help them.

Dandello's test bed, for instance, comes up in 4th & 5th 2nd place (under Google's ad) while using the search terms "spam-bots yaBB" (this forum comes up first, and Carsten's forum comes up second third). And again, this is what makes Google such a great search engine.

Think about it. If you use YaBB, and you're searching for help to stop spam-bots, then coming to this forum or going over to Dandello's test bed is exactly where you want to go. This is very relevant, and Google rewards relevant links.

As I've previously pointed out, Google is amazingly fast at linking relevant sites. It's not uncommon for those links to appear within seconds of any given publication.

Regarding spammers, the latest good news about Google is that they've taken steps to eliminate or make less relevant the search results for sites that are operated by spammers. It's a really good move on their part.

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2012 at 7:13pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools