Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Importance of having a good web host (Read 4,266 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Re: Importance of having a good web host
Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 1:05am
Post Tools
Some I have listed as private and some I do not. I guess it depended on the mood I was in at time of registration. On my very first few, I was so green, I didn't even know that you could look up that kind of info on a domain.

Domain names free to register, wow!

Thanks everyone for the insight.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:35am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:13pm:
Well, maybe at least we will open someone's eyes.

That's my hope as well. It's always good to be a little more secure with one's domains.

WestwegoMan wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:14pm:
Well,  on all of mine, I am listed as the registrant and admin, and client transfer is prohibited.

On your main domain yours shows "Lock Status: ok" - so you're actually fine; better than most.

My domains all show as "Lock Status: clientDeleteProhibited" - so I'm locked down tightly. It's an added security feature that my registrar offers, which quite frankly isn't necessary.

JonB wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:07am:
The Client delete, update, private registration, secure domain services and such are value-added services and vary from registrar to registrar.

If you are the Domain owner that is 90% of it right there.  Most of the other stuff is overkill

Jon is spot on with that information (as he explained it ahead of me).

I also saw that you made private the information about your main domain (and I guess your other domains), which is something I've never done (other than using a P.O. Box). But what you did is a good business practice. I probably should have made my information more private a long time ago, but back in the old days, circa 1996-98, information about domains couldn't be private. It simply wasn't allowed.

I even remember farther back than that when there was only one registrar, and domains were free to register. Can you imagine that?

Before cybersquatting became a really big problem (before the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act took effect in 1999), I knew about people who had registered many hundreds of domains, some of whom became millionaires from the sale of those domains. Those were the Wild West days of the Internet.

I was one of those early pioneers not long after my semi-retirement who got lucky in the Gold Rush of the Internet, circa 1996-2002, although I didn't take part in any cybersquatting (I was involved in other endeavors - right place; right time).

About the cybersquatting, me and my stupid morals. Roll Eyes

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:07am
Post Tools
The Client delete, update, private registration, secure domain services and such are value-added services and vary from registrar to registrar. ICANN only governs the key minimum services they 'must' provide to maintain Registrar status.

Its one way for registrars to distinguish themselves from their competitors.

If you are the Domain owner that is 90% of it right there.  Most of the other stuff is overkill.

Good Luck.
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:14pm
Post Tools
Well,  on all of mine, I am listed as the registrant and admin, and client transfer is prohibited.

I don't see anything about client update or client delete. I'll have to check my account when I'm not on this pos iPhone.

Thanks for the info Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:16pm by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:13pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Worse yet, you want to make sure that you actually own each domain that you have versus a registrar owning them. Many people don't actually own their own domains because of the way that they obtained them, and they don't even know it.

At the very least (even as this may be done privately), all domain owners should be listed as the Registrant. Preferably, I think domain owners should also be listed as the Administrative Contact, and Technical Contact as well.

Bill is exactly right. Many reseller-oriented hosters offer their resellers 'free domains and renewals' as long as they remain resellers.  The hosting company/registrar actually owns the domain. If the reseller or developer/reseller bellies up, doesn't pay their hosting bill (or gets in a bad situation of any sort with you), you are two or three shades of screwed.  You can't transfer your Domain because YOU don't own it.  Been there with clients, ugly, ugly ugly. hard to explain to them too. This is one of those cases where you may have to 'expire out' a domain.  YOU, or a company you control/work for must ALWAYS be the registrant and Administrative contact. I'm often the technical contact for clients as that generally allows me to make inquiries/support tickets.

I refuse to register Domains for anyone other than myself or one of my companies. I 'walk the clients through it'.

Well, maybe at least we will open someone's eyes.

Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 10:44pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:34pm:
This has me thinking now. Thinking that maybe I should change registrars. Maybe I'll do some research tonight.

You may be okay. It's just that it's a good business practice to make sure your registrar doesn't have any control over any domains you own. Generally speaking with a good and reliable registrar, you shouldn't have a problem either way.

Worse yet, you want to make sure that you actually own each domain that you have versus a registrar owning them. Many people don't actually own their own domains because of the way that they obtained them, and they don't even know it.

At the very least (even as this may be done privately), all domain owners should be listed as the Registrant. Preferably, I think domain owners should also be listed as the Administrative Contact, and Technical Contact as well.

As you already have it, I also think it's important to secure any domain you have with the following (if all are available to enable):

That way, only you or an agent of your choice can do anything with your domain(s).

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:34pm
Post Tools
This has me thinking now. Thinking that maybe I should change registrars. Maybe I'll do some research tonight.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 4:07pm
Post Tools
I totally agree on this issue -

Never, ever have hosting and domain registrar with the same company, and beyond that never let your developers do that for you either.  The 'developer hosting/reseller' business is an awful business model -- ditto registrars in the hosting business.

Although I make a living doing development work and server engineering, I think its possibly the worst idea on the 'net. I can honestly say that almost every client I have ever worked with that had that kind of arrangement (all-in-one) got burned at some point.  At the moment I am de-tangling two clients, it takes time and patience - and some times there is no choice other than to 'expire the domain'. Most registrars are 'past unethical' about Domains.  Particularity one that uses a 'hot racer' for their spokesperson, if you get my drift.  I am at this moment 'waiting out' a domain, on which they are going to run 'two auction' cycles for an intellectual property that was never theirs.  "Blank" them and Nasty Network Solutions.

bad - bad - bad idea!  Smiley

Honest, personal opinions based on experience. That's all for now folks -
Cool

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 3:54pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 10:35am:
WestwegoMan wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 6:54am:
I actually have the same company hosting mine as I'm registered with and haven't had any problems, so far.

There is a lot of bad reviews out there about certain hosts, yet on many forums you find developers using them for their own needs without complaint.

All very true - I even have one client on GoDaddy. And everyone's advice greatly depends on their own experiences in these matters.

For myself, I will never have my hosting service and domain registrar be the same because my old hosting/registrar did hold my domains hostage when I was trying to change hosting services after they put unstated limits on forum software - forums were just being shutdown, including the PHP based ones, without warning or explanation - and tech support repeatedly denied that there was even a problem with the forums OR with changing the Name-server for the domains - even when THEY couldn't change the Name-server settings.

In the end, I had to get new domains for the move, use forwarding to get visitors to the new domains, and let the old domains lapse so I could buy them back later. And even after all that, the old hosting company charged my credit card for support AFTER I'D CANCELLED ALL MY ACCOUNTS WITH THEM! Angry

Yes, this is an example of a good host gone bad after changing hands. Your mileage will vary.  Wink

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 10:35am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 6:54am:
I actually have the same company hosting mine as I'm registered with and haven't had any problems, so far.

There is a lot of bad reviews out there about certain hosts, yet on many forums you find developers using them for their own needs without complaint.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 6:54am
Post Tools

If they didn't allow me control over file permissions, I would change companies for sure.

I won't give any plugs for them here(their banner is at the bottom of one of my sites) but, up until now, I've been completely satisfied.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 5:54pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 4:34pm:
So to anyone really, I think one good thing to do is to have your domain(s) hosted by another company other than your registrar. You'll have more control that way; at least in terms of having peace of mind about it.

Excellent point and one for everyone to remember - it's rarely a good idea to have your hosting company also be in charge of your domain registration - they may be the most trustworthy company in the world, until they change hands and you discover your domain is being held hostage.

Another thing I always recommend when looking for a reliable hosting service - aside from checking their reputation via a Google Search, is to see if they have their own support forum and how things are handled there. Some hosts have support forums but their own support staff has no access to it to even see if there's a pervasive problem showing up there much less to answer simple 'how do I do this' questions - even if it's just to say 'here's the how-to.'

But if there are multiple complaints of 'what happened to my cgi-bin?' or 'why can't I ftp my site after your last upgrade?' and nothing indicating any of these complaints were handled - that's a warning sign that support may not be what it should be, considering you're looking to be paying them for service.

A money-back trial period is a good sign.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Post Tools
And the discussion on that particular hosting service has moved here  Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 5:00pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 4:34pm:
But to the point, Ludek's host evidently allows for file permissions to be changed (referenced here). Still, as Ludek's already mentioned, he's probably going to move to another hosting company.

it seems they were good till a take over i dono how Ludek's host is still up and running now probs probs and more probs https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=easily.co.uk+problems&oq=easily...

i have tested some free hosts that dont even CHMOD prelocked lol

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Importance of having a good web host
Aug 12th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Post Tools
Starting in another thread that got off topic (see that notification here) ...

The only times I've seen CHMOD that has been prelocked is when a server's admin chooses this option such as when they want to restrict any given domain owner's ability to change permissions. I've never restricted any of the domains on any of our servers.

But to the point, Ludek's host evidently allows for file permissions to be changed (referenced here). Still, as Ludek's already mentioned, he's probably going to move to another hosting company.

So to anyone really, I think one good thing to do is to have your domain(s) hosted by another company other than your registrar. You'll have more control that way; at least in terms of having peace of mind about it.

Another good thing to do is to confirm with your host beforehand what you can and cannot do in terms of changing permissions.

Happily, there are now a lot of very good web hosts out there, including UK2.net (the web host of this forum as it's referenced here).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top