Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Should we 'test' this on Yabbforum.com (Read 3,178 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Should we 'test' this on Yabbforum.com
Aug 13th, 2012 at 4:30pm
Post Tools
We have had a few complaints (mine included) about the 'pop-up' Reply mode.  I have been 'exercising' YaBB Next lately, and digging through all the Admin options. It turns out there is a 'multiple control' for that feature:

(at least that is what I interpret that control to be for)

Should we 'tinker with it' here???

I may hook up a poll, but for now - just give us your opinions.

Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2012 at 4:31pm by JonB »  

post_popup.jpg ( 19 KB | 37 Downloads )
post_popup.jpg

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Should we 'test' this on Yabbforum.com
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Post Tools
OK - I am confirming that  Cool

Edited:
Yeppers - that is what happens
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2012 at 4:35pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 6:29pm
Post Tools
i like it but when you have to go back to the page see what your looking for then go back to the bottom of the page to open it back up can get can i get annoying at times think it needs a minimize button  Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Post Tools
I agree with you xnoddyx, although I am unsure if that is do-able.

It is a real pain to be doing a support reply and need to look at the series of posts.

Umm maybe it needs to have a User Control Panel option to 'turn it off'.  So cell phone/mobile users could kill it easily.

I also will say - (for myself) Post Drafts would sure be a nice feature.  I often need to stop things, or do research, or 'think it over', I use the 'Draft' feature in phpBB all the time... (on that forum it only works in Full reply mode - not Quick Reply).

Cool

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 7:36pm
Post Tools
It was planned on having it a user option all along, but unless it's been kept as an admin option, I think Unilat has removed this feature anyway.

http://www.dev.yabbworld.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1329421094

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 7:56pm
Post Tools
Well, LOL - then we all agree, and this topic is "over" LOL

Edited:
WHOOPS -
"here" it is an Admin Option.
Should we disable it here, as most likely any final version will not include the 'pop-up reply'???

Cheesy
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:02pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:14pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 7:56pm:
Edited:
WHOOPS -
"here" it is an Admin Option.
Should we disable it here, as most likely any final version will not include the 'pop-up reply'???

Cheesy

I thought you already knew that - isn't that where the screenshot is from in the first post?

But, yeah, I guess so. More people seem to complain about it than like it anyway...
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:16pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:19pm
Post Tools
LOL - I made that statement for the benefit of our skim-readers, who don't read through a whole topic before replying.

I'm thinking of turning pop-up reply 'off' -- unless someone gives me a good reason to leave it on.  I'll leave this for a while and see if anyone has an objection.

thanks again -

Cool

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:40pm
Post Tools
The pop up can be a pain on a mobile device.

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:21am
Post Tools
I like the pop up but I guess I am alone.   To me, it makes YaBB more like an application, it loads quickly, it looks nice, and it keeps you from reloading the page.  The other option is to always have the quick reply box on the bottom, but to me that is a waste of bandwidth.  You load that for every topic page you go to, and you don't necessarily reply to most of those.  It also does not look very good. 

I understand the point of not being able to see the posts behind it, but that is what the close button is for.  It saves your content, so when you click reply again, it is still there.  I would vote to make it a user option - page reload for standalone post page, quick reply box, or post popup.  Those are all great options and should be case-by-case for each person and each forum depending on the type of site and their needs.  I don't like "admin only" controls for something as important as that.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:51am
Post Tools
I can see it both ways - on a large screen I don't mind the popup - it does load fast and if I really need to see something that's hidden, I can open a second window.

But that's not as good an option on many mobile devices. So having the pop up as a user option - or even a platform/user option, is something we may want to look at it the future.

The other possibility that hasn't been really looked at - having a slimmed down Quick-Reply as a user option. And with slimmed down I mean clear out most of the various formatting buttons, preview, attachments - just the text box with an option to open a full reply window if the user needs it.

Just an idea.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:38am
Post Tools
I still think the quick reply and pop up should be a user option for sure. 

As far as mobile devices are concerned, the correct fix is to have a mobile template that automatically gets loaded if the browser detected is a mobile device.  This would be a slimmed down page with less graphics, less links and tools, less features, less header, etc.  Just display the most important content and links/buttons.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:58am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:38am:
As far as mobile devices are concerned, the correct fix is to have a mobile template that automatically gets loaded if the browser detected is a mobile device.  This would be a slimmed down page with less graphics, less links and tools, less features, less header, etc.  Just display the most important content and links/buttons.

I attempted a mobile template a couple of weeks ago, but YaBB's pretty impossible to strip down until when/if all of the HTML is accessible through the template files - ideally having a new .template file for any page which is loaded, i.e. memberlist.template, register.template, loginout.template...

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:04pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:21am:
I like the pop up but I guess I am alone.

no not alone i like it but i will explain it more in detail
Corey Chapman wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:21am:
I understand the point of not being able to see the posts behind it, but that is what the close button is for.  It saves your content, so when you click reply again, it is still there.

yes this is fine but when you are making a post then have to go check that its good and not missing anything then have to go all the way to the bottom of the page to open the reply window agen then hit the close button agen to check something els then then go up the page to find what you was looking for then have to go all the way to the bottom of the page to open the reply window agen and so on but a addition of a minimize button will be nice so that way there is no up down up down lol
here is a mock up of what i was thinking

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:58am:
I attempted a mobile template a couple of weeks ago, but YaBB's pretty impossible to strip down until when/if all of the HTML is accessible through the template files - ideally having a new .template file for any page which is loaded, i.e. memberlist.template, register.template, loginout.template...

Cool do you have a live demo and yes there is still alot of hard coded inline style and html parts  Sad

min.jpg ( 622 KB | 42 Downloads )
min.jpg

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:19pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:04pm:
do you have a live demo

Not really I'm afraid, no. I'd only just started before I realized it was impossible to strip the login, register, memberlist etc. pages. It would also be far easier if everything wasn't in tables - but just having easy access to the HTML would be enough. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top