Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spammers, (what's new?) (Read 3,243 times)
ggn
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Spammers, (what's new?)
Reply #15 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 4:43pm
Post Tools
Vikash Kumar munda wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 6:33am:
Dandello wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:09pm:
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:49pm:
Also, I'm worried that if our forum's banned IP list gets too big, it might slow down our forum.

Based on what we've seen of people who have had their ban list multiplied into the thousands - I would also worry about having too large a banned IP list. The better solution really is to go over to BoardMod and install at least one of the anti-spam mods. As people here will attest, they work. If you keep them out, you don't have to delete them later. Wink

Question and answer spam mod works really well in preventing spam registration i don't recommend captca plugins as they can be easily decoded using decaptcha Cool.

ahem No they don't Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Spammers, (what's new?)
Reply #16 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 7:05pm
Post Tools
ggn wrote on Nov 12th, 2013 at 4:43pm:

I want to publicly thank you once again for authoring your CAPTCHA hack. Smiley

With ggn's blessings, I also want to publicly acknowledge, and thank Derek Barnstorm for authoring this wonderful hack into a mod for YaBB (a standard feature in the next release of YaBB). You can see it in action here on this registration page.

You can also see it here near the bottom of Dandello's YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum.

For those of you who would like to know how to implement this very effective option to stop spam bots cold, click here for details (I recommend that you read the entire topic).

Regarding Derek Barnstorm's Anti-Spam Question mod, you can very easily make edits to it in your Admin Center that will stop spam-bots cold. As an example, I've seen admins cleverly include a question asking registrants, "What is the first word in the User Agreement below?" That's just one example.

In any case, YaBB admins can now stop spam bots colds using one or both of these mods. I also recommend Carsten's Spamfruits mod.

Note: In addition to stopping spam-bots cold in the registration process, the implementation of ggn's CAPTCHA hack/mod gives you the option of enabling guest posting without worrying about automated spam-bot posts.

Enjoy your YaBB forum! Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top