Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spammers, (what's new?) (Read 3,055 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Spammers, (what's new?)
Reply #16 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 7:05pm
Post Tools
ggn wrote on Nov 12th, 2013 at 4:43pm:

I want to publicly thank you once again for authoring your CAPTCHA hack. Smiley

With ggn's blessings, I also want to publicly acknowledge, and thank Derek Barnstorm for authoring this wonderful hack into a mod for YaBB (a standard feature in the next release of YaBB). You can see it in action here on this registration page.

You can also see it here near the bottom of Dandello's YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum.

For those of you who would like to know how to implement this very effective option to stop spam bots cold, click here for details (I recommend that you read the entire topic).

Regarding Derek Barnstorm's Anti-Spam Question mod, you can very easily make edits to it in your Admin Center that will stop spam-bots cold. As an example, I've seen admins cleverly include a question asking registrants, "What is the first word in the User Agreement below?" That's just one example.

In any case, YaBB admins can now stop spam bots colds using one or both of these mods. I also recommend Carsten's Spamfruits mod.

Note: In addition to stopping spam-bots cold in the registration process, the implementation of ggn's CAPTCHA hack/mod gives you the option of enabling guest posting without worrying about automated spam-bot posts.

Enjoy your YaBB forum! Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

ggn
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #15 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 4:43pm
Post Tools
Vikash Kumar munda wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 6:33am:
Dandello wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:09pm:
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:49pm:
Also, I'm worried that if our forum's banned IP list gets too big, it might slow down our forum.

Based on what we've seen of people who have had their ban list multiplied into the thousands - I would also worry about having too large a banned IP list. The better solution really is to go over to BoardMod and install at least one of the anti-spam mods. As people here will attest, they work. If you keep them out, you don't have to delete them later. Wink

Question and answer spam mod works really well in preventing spam registration i don't recommend captca plugins as they can be easily decoded using decaptcha Cool.

ahem No they don't Wink

IP Logged

Vikash Kumar munda
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 6:33am
Post Tools
Also, I'm worried that if our forum's banned IP list gets too big, it might slow down our forum.

Based on what we've seen of people who have had their ban list multiplied into the thousands - I would also worry about having too large a banned IP list. The better solution really is to go over to BoardMod and install at least one of the anti-spam mods. As people here will attest, they work. If you keep them out, you don't have to delete them later. Wink

Question and answer spam mod works really well in preventing spam registration i don't recommend captca plugins as they can be easily decoded using decaptcha Cool.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Post Tools
Bill, you are evil  Grin - but then I've used the same tactics on people I really wanted banned.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 3:56pm
Post Tools
Because we can ...

Sometimes I like to keep a spammer's profile active with no posts of course, and no spam links available to advertise.

To effectively lock the spammer from their profile so it can't be used, I change their email address while keeping it hidden, and I change their password.

To their tag line I've recently added, "Banned as a spammer."

I've also added the attached photo for their profile pic (hopefully that pic is still available to see).

Okay ... back to fully waking up with a good cup of coffee, at which point I might shake off my nastiness.

Just saying. Roll Eyes

spam.png ( 12 KB | 49 Downloads )
spam.png

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 7:10pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Mar 28th, 2013 at 6:00pm:
The human variety also wait until you disappear then start spamming   Angry

Which is why stealth mode is so popular with some admins. They never see you coming. Grin

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 6:33pm
Post Tools
Happily for us YaBBers, YaBB offers different ways to stay ahead of spammers even as they evolve.

One trick of the trade as it might be considered is to sign on with a different, but obvious admin/moderator account with a browser you don't normally use, and leave that admin/moderator online.

Kind of like a scarecrow I guess. Wink

The thing is, happily once again, beyond the great anti-spam measures that YaBB has available, admins can enable Pre-registration with admin membership approval as needed or desired. That way, very few if any spammers will be able to post anything in your forum.

I've been able to allow Open registration without approvals for a while now (keeping my fingers crossed). I've even opened up guest posting. It's not that I don't get a lot of spam-bots coming our way. Our forum still gets them at a relatively high rate. It's just that, once again, YaBB has pretty terrific anti-spam measures to enable.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 6:00pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 28th, 2013 at 5:49pm:
@Bill : Excellent observations concerning Spammers. They are getting tricky.

The human variety also wait until you disappear then start spamming  Angry

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 5:49pm
Post Tools
@Bill : Excellent observations concerning Spammers. They are getting tricky.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 3:32pm
Post Tools
What's kind of new are spammers who can initially appear to be legitimate users when they register. One sign of this is when two names are used to register such as John Smith (just an example).

Especially in forums, more often than not, people don't use their first and last names, and they rarely ever use their real names. So that's one flag to consider.

A lot of times their chosen User ID won't show up in the Stop Forum database, but then, it probably shouldn't since common names are usually chosen to help fool admins and moderators.

However, more often than not, their IP addresses are in the Stop Forum database, so that can be one confirmation for you.

Another sign that can indicate a spammer has registered is their membership will often include an innocuous website address, which I'm guessing will probably be changed later on if they skip detection as a spammer.

Another sign are multiple posts that may seem legitimate, but are in fact tailored to disguise themselves as an acceptable post. This is very effective because admins and moderators can sometmes fail to find all of those posts to delete or to move even when a spammer is recognized, so enough will remain to effectively spam the forum.

As I post this message, even though a number of spam posts from two different accounts have been moved or deleted, a couple of their posts remain. And again, this is what spammers intend.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:52am
Post Tools
The better solution really is to go over to BoardMod and install at least one of the anti-spam mods.

Absolutely!

I took that good advice some time ago with encouragement from people in this forum, and I finally learned how to use the BoardMod program. I had previously used an effective anti-spam hack that stopped spam-bots cold.

Thankfully, adding to our banned IP list is no longer needed.  Cool

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:09pm
Post Tools

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
Caseyrock wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 7:19pm:
How many IP's do I have to ban by the time they are all banned? Is there a master list somewhere

I've always wondered this as well. Then again, as Dandello so accurately points out, they're "always changing IP addresses" and as such, I'm not so sure adding offending IP addresses to the list is worth the effort. Also, I'm worried that if our forum's banned IP list gets too big, it might slow down our forum.

However, on rare occasions I still add IP addresses just to put an evil smile on my face.  Smiley

Because of spam-bots that have been stopped cold, our error log is always quite busy.  Cool

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 9:55pm
Post Tools
Just be aware that some people really do have roving IP addresses (people using satellite-based ISPs or Smartphones)

IP Logged

Caseyrock
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 7:58pm
Post Tools
You're right Dandello.  I also noticed that there are sometimes totally different IP addresses for the same person between the notification email and the board.
I actually sort them in numerical order on the 'banlist'.  Then delete the fourth group of numbers.  I.e.:  25.26.27.28 is banned as 25.26.27.  Once I get three banned numbers where the third group is the same, I remove all, i.e.: 25.26.27.29 - 25.26.27.40 - 26.26.27.50  The only banned address will now be:  25.26.
Spamlike registrations have slowed down, but they're still there (and probably always will).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top