Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Admin only registration mode still displays Register button (Read 6,675 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Admin only registration mode still displays Register button
Reply #29 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 9:31pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from YaBB 2 - Bugs [Need Verification] [move by] Dandello.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #28 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:12am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:54am:
No argument with that, especially if you have reason to believe the main admin account has been corrupted.

Yeah, and I only mentioned it because this happened in our forum (with a 2nd admin account).

Then I thought to myself, "What if that happens to me?"  Roll Eyes

Personally, if at all possible, I'd like to have access to a quick fix versus having to FTP my problem away. Hopefully, I'll never need that 2nd admin account.

Edited:
Whoops! I didn't realize I had posted two in a row. Sorry about that. Embarrassed

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:17am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #27 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:05am
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:00am:
You've only got to look at the general troubleshooting board to see how many admins don't know how to use FTP - everything should be fully usable from the front end.

That point among all others is particularly important for the normal admin who operates a YaBB forum. Many admins do nothing more than administer their forums, i.e., they have no FTP access.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #26 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:00am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:40am:
Coming into this late - The original issue was (I believe) that the password reminder button allowed anyone to get a password reminder, even though the system was in Maintenance mode - which meant that files were being written to while the Admin was working on it. Not a good thing and may make whatever the situation was the Admin needed to work on worse.

Okay - the admin lost their password immediately after putting their forum into Maintenance? or else the system went into Maintenance automatically and they probably need to have root access to fix whatever caused it - and if they have root access they can reset their own password by hand.

Just my 2 cents.

And as for the admins who have forgotten their passwords? If their boards are in Maintenance mode and isn't breaking out of it - they have more problems than just 'I forgot my password'.

I'm easy with it either way. I brought it up because I think it's important to respect the decisions which were made in the past, and there must have been a reason to let admins use the password reminder. You've only got to look at the general troubleshooting board to see how many admins don't know how to use FTP - everything should be fully usable from the front end.

But like I say, I'm easy. I just wondered what you folks thought. Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #25 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:54am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:47am:
Still, it's good to have a backup admin account.   Wink

No argument with that, especially if you have reason to believe the main admin account has been corrupted.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #24 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:47am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:40am:
The original issue was (I believe) that the password reminder button allowed anyone to get a password reminder, even though the system was in Maintenance mode - which meant that files were being written to while the Admin was working on it. Not a good thing and may make whatever the situation was the Admin needed to work on worse.

Ah, good point. That is a bit of a dilemma.

Still, it's good to have a backup admin account.  Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #23 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:40am
Post Tools
Coming into this late - The original issue was (I believe) that the password reminder button allowed anyone to get a password reminder, even though the system was in Maintenance mode - which meant that files were being written to while the Admin was working on it. Not a good thing and may make whatever the situation was the Admin needed to work on worse.

Okay - the admin lost their password immediately after putting their forum into Maintenance? or else the system went into Maintenance automatically and they probably need to have root access to fix whatever caused it - and if they have root access they can reset their own password by hand.

Just my 2 cents.

And as for the admins who have forgotten their passwords? If their boards are in Maintenance mode and isn't breaking out of it - they have more problems than just 'I forgot my password'.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:43am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #22 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:28am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:48pm:
but its the random "my admin password won't work"

I don't think this is particularly unusual; just as it can happen with a regular account.

For whatever reason, one of our admin accounts couldn't use its password after we moved to a new server. I fixed it for them by using my own admin account.

After thinking about it, I subsequently added a 2nd admin account of my own with full privileges just in case I ever need it to fix my main admin account. Additionally, my wife's admin account can give us access as needed.

I call my 2nd admin account my YaBB insurance account. You never know when you may need it. Wink

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #21 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 11:10pm
Post Tools
I'm not saying that there definitely isn't a problem - maybe there is - it's just hard to look for something without knowing what it is you're looking for. Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #20 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 10:48pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:42pm:
majority of it is user or host error.

oks cool if your happy with that so am i Cheesy

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #19 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:42pm
Post Tools
but its the random "my admin password won't work"

But that could simply be that their host has reverted to an old back-up without notifying them - among other reasons. There's just not enough information to know that it is a YaBB issue or not.

I also find it weird that just the password would be corrupt and not the whole file or any other info - it's why I'm convinced that the majority of it is user or host error.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:04pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:57pm:
I'm personally not seeing a 'YaBB problem' in either of those links - only 'user error' or 'host problems'. Neither user supplied enough information...

if there still here somewhere i will find them so
just stay with the ftp fix?

for now and i will keep looking for the old ones and look out for any new ones and re post this when there is more info on it then?

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #17 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:57pm
Post Tools
I'm personally not seeing a 'YaBB problem' in either of those links - only 'user error' or 'host problems'. Neither user supplied enough information...
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:57pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #16 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:48pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:18pm:
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 7:02pm:
was also thinking about whatever it is happens when the password gets corrupted so the admin needs to ftp into the server to fix this.
can some kind of check be made to check for password corrupted and then set a new password for the admin and email it or a url link emailed to reset it?

That isn't specific to being in maintenance mode though is it? And without being able to reproduce it, then I wouldn't really be able to look into a solution...  

Have you got any examples, maybe in the 'General Usage and Feature Troubleshooting' board, so I can see what you mean?

here are two just now i have seen more in the past but will keep looking for them
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1273091904
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1341931129

Edited:
as to why i'm just as much in the dark but do remember this keep coming up every now and then but some some are CHMOD permissions some are the windows server user permissions and thats cool but its the random "my admin password won't work" but as it dont come up that often do you think it's worth the time or just stay with the ftp fix?
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:00pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #15 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:18pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 7:02pm:
was also thinking about whatever it is happens when the password gets corrupted so the admin needs to ftp into the server to fix this.
can some kind of check be made to check for password corrupted and then set a new password for the admin and email it or a url link emailed to reset it?

That isn't specific to being in maintenance mode though is it? And without being able to reproduce it, then I wouldn't really be able to look into a solution...  

Have you got any examples, maybe in the 'General Usage and Feature Troubleshooting' board, so I can see what you mean?
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:21pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top