YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Addon Domains for cPanel (Read 2,989 times)
 Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:54pm
There are no actions to perform.  

Elrick 
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers
Edge of the Abyss

YaBB 2.5
Addon Domains for cPanel
Addon Domains for cPanel

Ok, I had good advice on adding a new domain to my existing account on cPanel (saves on new account charges) as my web host would allow it. Presumably would have to create a new directory under cgi-bin, for instance “XYXY” where I can download new version of YaBB 2.5AE and the new Add-on domain being redirected. So that both domains would have their own web page and redirection to their respective Path.pl.

Any pitfalls? I take it YaBB would work. Any other main criteria I should observe?
Your views would be greatly appreciated, particularly from those who already have experience with this scenario.

p.s.  Cpanel states:  “When allowed by your web host, an addon domain allows a new domain name to link to a subdirectory of your account. The addon domain’s files will be stored in a subdirectory of your public_html folder. Creating an addon domain gives you the ability to control multiple domains from a single account.”
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:57pm by Elrick »  
~ Elrick ~
There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter.

IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:15pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Re: Addon Domains for cPanel
Elrick wrote on Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:54pm:
Addon Domains for cPanel

Ok, I had good advice on adding a new domain to my existing account on cPanel (saves on new account charges) as my web host would allow it. Presumably would have to create a new directory under cgi-bin, for instance “XYXY” where I can download new version of YaBB 2.5AE and the new Add-on domain being redirected. So that both domains would have their own web page and redirection to their respective Path.pl.

Any pitfalls? I take it YaBB would work. Ant other main criteria I should observe?
Your views would be greatly appreciated, particularly from those who already have experience with this scenario.

p.s.  Cpanel states:  “When allowed by your web host, an addon domain allows a new domain name to link to a subdirectory of your account. The addon domain’s files will be stored in a subdirectory of your public_html folder. Creating an addon domain gives you the ability to control multiple domains from a single account.”

yes i can confirm you can do this although different hosts work this differently i.e.
1and1 you have your root host account from here you can subdirectory like 123.com zyx.com and 123.com-old and so on from there control panel you can tell there server that 123.com will load from
/root_account/123.com/public_html/ and have /root_account/123.com/cgi-bin/ and the same for the rest e.g. zyx.com /root_account/zyx.com/public_html/ but with 1and1 you dont need to have a cgi-bin as long as the the Dir is set to 755

123-reg works almost the same e.g.
the root host account is also where the first domain will live so say zyx.com is your primary domain then this will live here /root_account/public_html/
and all addon domains will be /root_account/public_html/123.com/ and /root_account/public_html/abc.com/

is this ok for you?

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:20pm

Elrick 
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers
Edge of the Abyss

YaBB 2.5
Thanks VM Xnoddyx

Any particular reason for setting permissions to folder 755?

~ Elrick ~
There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter.

IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:30pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
Hi Elrick -

I don't see a problem particularly, but how it works is specific to Cpanel and how they implement vhosts at that ISP.  Presumably you will have separate cgi-bin and public_html (www) folders for each domain.

When you have 'added' domains in a shared webhost, how it works is a function of how the systems engineer who configured the provisioning system decided 'how things should be'.  Very often the Apache configuration is a bit different from ISP to ISP.

As long as you find out 'where to put stuff', it should work roughly the same as a standard YaBB install.  There may also be tricky DNS stuff that is hidden from yoou, but it likely won't affect YaBB.

Good luck with your project.
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
jonbservergeek  
IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:41pm

depablo 
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK

YaBB 2.5
I have used addon domains on many occasions, be careful creating one ftp account for your root folder. Then accessing the addon domain to change / upload files, its not the first time I have over written the wrong files / wrong site  Cry

Some folk prefer reseller accounts as it keeps everything separate, my own host uses an inhouse control panel which keeps sites separate.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:42pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
on 1and1 and 123-reg you can run cgi scripts i.e. YaBB.pl outside of the cgi-bin directory but to do this the server has to Execute
KEY:
R=Read/W=Write/E=Execute
755 sets the file or dir for owner R/W/E Group R/E Public R/E
so if you are on 123-reg and have /root_account/public_html/abc.com/yabb2/YaBB.pl
set /abc.com/ and /yabb2/ to 755 also YaBB.pl then when you goto abc.com/yabb2/YaBB.pl
this will then Execute it and not give a 500 Internal server error or a error 403 Forbidden or even just load the code on screen as if it was a .txt file
do you need help setting one up or is this just more curiosity.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 9:01am

Elrick 
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers
Edge of the Abyss

YaBB 2.5
Very many thanks folks, for all the input. I will take it to my host to clarify all those issues and options. Mayhaps the addition of a domain and two forums operating simultaneously from the same account could have some bearing on disk space and bandwidth allotted. I would dread a SForge scenario.. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2012 at 9:02am by Elrick »  
~ Elrick ~

IP Logged  
 Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 1:51pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Bandwidth and diskspace might be a concern, especially if one of the forums threatens to become a BIG forum. (Luckily, YaBB is really easy to pack up and move if you find out that you have to and cPanel is supposed to make it easy too.)  Roll Eyes

IP Logged  
 Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 2:06pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Dandello wrote on Sep 2nd, 2012 at 1:51pm:
Bandwidth and diskspace might be a concern, especially if one of the forums threatens to become a BIG forum. (Luckily, YaBB is really easy to pack up and move if you find out that you have to and cPanel is supposed to make it easy too.)  Roll Eyes

to add to Dandello post there is also the cpu load as on crammed hosting you will have a lower cpu limit.

Edited:
1 more item i will add is what doesn't get talked about much
and that is most good hosting will offer you Dedicated server hosting
but wont say is that if you have your own 1U server that they can take it and add it to there data center and most times it will be at less than half the cost of there Dedicated server hosting most times some where next to there vps costs  Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2012 at 2:16pm by xnoddyx »  
YaBB install help video
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 4:59pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Another thing to look at: if you have a bunch of sites on shared (like I did) you may actually get a cost benefit with moving them all to a VPS or even a dedi.

IP Logged  
 Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 1:33pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
Another plus to VPS's - a fair number of hosts will scale a VPS for you. You literally add on what you need, no relocation.

One other thing about VPS's - some of the the low-ball versions are 'unmanaged' - read "you are on your own". That can be a scary place unless you are a Linux OS wiz...

Good Luck
Cool
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2012 at 3:16pm by JonB »  
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
jonbservergeek  
IP Logged  
 Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 6:16pm

Elrick 
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers
Edge of the Abyss

YaBB 2.5
Very many thanks folks for all your input, Downloaded 2.5AE on a subdirectory as an add-on domain and so far so good. Uploaded a new forum logo to replace yabblogo. Works fine but need advice on moving the logo to the left of the top banner space and place the text "Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register" to the right of the page. Your know-how will (as always) be greatly appreciated.

~ Elrick ~

IP Logged  
 Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:06pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.