Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) I'm confused (Read 4,300 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: I'm confused
Reply #17 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 7:39pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:22pm:
Just to clarify something -

Quote:
I have a long way to go for 50 posts, and as I am no expert in computing or forum admin it may be some time before I get a count of 50.

You don't need any number of posts to see the whole YaBB help forums.

Thanks for using YaBB
Wink

Thank you very much for reversing that policy. Way to go!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 2:45pm
Post Tools
ah 'ownership issue'  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #15 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:56pm
Post Tools
The original 'old chestnut' (error log issues) is here: http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1328714809
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:57pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:22pm
Post Tools

Quote:
I have a long way to go for 50 posts, and as I am no expert in computing or forum admin it may be some time before I get a count of 50.

Thanks for using YaBB
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 12:25pm
Post Tools
trekwebmaster wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:44am:
Now to tackle that variables file I bet it's that old chestnut again.

i think you maybe looking for /yabb2/VariablesSettings.pl but without more specific information like what do you mean by Quote:
I am having the same old problem with the error log not working.

as i don't know what your old problem was.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:44am
Post Tools
Thank's for the help guys, as always you come through with the answers. Smiley

Now to tackle that variables file I bet it's that old chestnut again. one of the problems of age is the memory can't always keep up with the rest of me. Grin Wink

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:57am
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:34am:
Hi Bill,

Just so you know and for what it's worth, I actually agree with you. I have brought it up myself in the support concerns board - my biggest issue is the programming boards being hidden to guests - but all I can do is express my concerns. Smiley

As a "Hacker God" over at YaBB's accompanying BoardMod, and as an obviously very important member of YaBB's community, it makes me feel good to know that you've expressed your concern about the programming board being hidden to guests.

On that note for me personally, I find discussions about YaBB's programming to be inspirational. And particularly because of my relative ignorance about how YaBB actually works, I also find discussions about its programming to be wonderfully educational.

For everyone else if you don't already know about it already, Derek authored the Anti-Spam Question mod for YaBB that stops spam-bots cold. If you're having trouble with spam-bots, you won't any more with his mod. And because it can be configured so easily through YaBB's Admin Center, you can even effectively stop hu-bots (human bots)!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:34am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:00am:
I do know that as of this post, the public at large isn't able to read certain sections of this forum. "The Lounge (Members Only)" is one example. Why this is hidden from the public I don't know, and I see no reason for that section to be hidden. Then again, sometimes you just have to trust the powers to be that they're doing the right thing.

Hi Bill,

Just so you know and for what it's worth, I actually agree with you. I have brought it up myself in the support concerns board - my biggest issue is the programming boards being hidden to guests - but all I can do is express my concerns. Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:00am
Post Tools
Lady Lo wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 10:52pm:
I can see an awful lot of boards. And this is my first post - am I missing something?

Possibly not. And as it seems now; probably not. I would even say definitely not; I think. Wink

It's hard to know for sure. Ironically, this open source project isn't so open source when it comes to being transparent about its operations. Some things seem so secretive now.

Evidently, the restrictions I mentioned that effectively locked out almost every member in this forum were recently reversed; to what degree I don't know because there's been no public mention of that change in access.

Hopefully one of YaBB's staff can clarify this with accurate information.

For instance, as Dandello pointed out in this post of hers, "... the 50 posts thing was changed a couple of weeks ago."  Smiley

I do know that as of this post, the public at large isn't able to read certain sections of this forum. "The Lounge (Members Only)" is one example. Why this is hidden from the public I don't know, and I see no reason for that section to be hidden. Then again, sometimes you just have to trust the powers to be that they're doing the right thing.

I suspect the relatively abrupt and drastic changes that have been made have been done with good intentions even though it can seem user unfriendly for the public at large.

My hope is that this forum will go back to being a truly open forum again without the separation of those who are worthy, and those who are not worthy of participating fully.

As things are now, only three or four people at last count (as far as any of us know) make the decisions about who's allowed, and who isn't allowed to fully participate in this forum.

Still, I remain hopeful. After all, the restrictions I mentioned have been reversed, and that's a good thing.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2012 at 7:59pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 11:15pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 10:57pm:
Bill, the 50 posts thing was changed a couple weeks ago. But your point on finding old posts is a valid one.  Some of us use the Search function here or Google Search. Of course, some previous Moderators and Admins were in the  habit of removing old posts. Not one of the better ideas of all times as inevitably the post you need is the one that just disappeared. The current batch of Moderators might move things around but the only thing we'll delete is spam, and even that gets saved in a special bin.

Grin im Google Search helps find more  Wink and i have also had the disappearing posts in the past so i know how not nice that is  Angry and i know we have had difficulties here in the past months but, but i do think we are making headway and hopefully we can get things back to normal well not normal but back to a full and helpful and thriving community  Grin

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 10:57pm
Post Tools
Bill, the 50 posts thing was changed a couple weeks ago. But your point on finding old posts is a valid one.  Some of us use the Search function here or Google Search. Of course, some previous Moderators and Admins were in the  habit of removing old posts. Not one of the better ideas of all times as inevitably the post you need is the one that just disappeared. The current batch of Moderators might move things around but the only thing we'll delete is spam, and even that gets saved in a special bin.

IP Logged

Lady Lo
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 10:52pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:09pm:
The good news is that those missing posts aren't actually gone even though, effectively, they certainly are. Those missing posts are just hidden from everyone except those who have at least 50 posts to their credit.

I can see an awful lot of boards. And this is my first post - am I missing something?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:56pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:28pm:
I think what he was looking for isn't hidden, just further down the page than he was expecting.

That would be good news.  Smiley

By the way ...

Dandello wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 5:20pm:
You can also go to your UserCP and look at your last however-many posts to find where you've posted recently.

Unfortunately, that will only work if one has 50 or more posts. Otherwise, for the majority of members in this forum, a great many help posts are no longer available to them; even through one's own User CP.

Bill Myers wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 7:39pm:
JonB wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:22pm:

Thanks for using YaBB
Wink

Thank you very much for reversing that policy. Way to go!  Smiley

On a related note, if I'm remembering correctly, about a year or so ago this forum evidently lost a lot of its older posts; at least when access is attempted through one's User CP since many of those posts still seem to be online.

This will be much more evident for members who only have a few posts.

Suggestion: One or more of this forum's admins or moderators should have access to an alternate account so that there's a better understanding of what other members experience; YaBB's membership at large.

In other words, the great majority of this forum's membership don't have the same access or privileges as the staff enjoys (or members who have at least 50 posts). This forum used to be operated quite openly, but it's increasingly becoming more private over time.

In fact, as it's been mentioned, this forum could very well become a help only forum in terms of public access with only certain members able to access the rest of the forum. If that happens, then YaBB's community at large will have to choose another forum to enjoy an open dialogue and a truly open YaBB community if there are enough members still active who would care to do that; or new members coming in who are seeking a real YaBB community versus just a help forum.

Interestingly on that note, there is some fun stuff going on inside of this forum that only a very few number of people have access to enjoy. And that's a shame because there's some pretty cool stuff in that quasi-public YaBB community that the public at large would surely enjoy.

My educated guess about this forum is that it would grow exponentially, and in great numbers if it went back to its roots as it's described, a "YaBB Chat and Support Community" versus its current restrictive look and feel.

Evidence of this exists online with one of YaBB's child forums where thousands of posts are made each and every week.

Just saying.  Wink

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2012 at 7:45pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:37pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from Praise and Feedback [move by] Dandello.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:28pm
Post Tools
I think what he was looking for isn't hidden, just further down the page than he was expecting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top