Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Installing YaBB on Windows through XAMPP (Read 7,347 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Installing YaBB on Windows through XAMPP
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 12:42am
Post Tools
Quote:
The set up script did not work, forcing me to write much of it, conflicts with XAMPP control panel and its beta version did not let me know if Perl was running or not!

If you extract xampp and place it in C:\xampp, you don't need to do anything at all in most cases.

If you would have gone to the Welcome Page in XAMPP and clicked on perlinfo() in the left column, it would have told you.

and this -

Quote:
Though this now makes your system open to hacks and attacks, you will need the YaBB Forum system open for you to set up. Later on when you are done, you will be restoring the Read-only option on a few files and folders and ensure the security of your YaBB System. -

is simply untrue.

It has nothing at all to do with Windows user permissions.

BTW - I must type different -

Code
Select All
C:\xampp\perl\bin>perl -v

This is perl 5, version 16, subversion 0 (v5.16.0) built for MSWin32-x86-multi-t
hread

Copyright 1987-2012, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

C:\xampp\perl\bin>

Cool
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:23am by JonB »  

xampp_perl.jpg ( 86 KB | 79 Downloads )
xampp_perl.jpg

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Post Tools
Installing YaBB on Windows through XAMPP: Part V

IV: My Notes

For me it took over an hour to install XAMPP though it took less than 15 minutes to install the YaBB files and folders, change the files properties on them, run the program and set the variables to make YaBB work on system I put it on: a Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop with a Pentium III processor running at 850MHz, 256megs of RAM and a 40GB Harddrive running on Windows XP Pro.

The problem I had was with XAMPP itself. Its documentation was lacking on how to install it. The set up script did not work, forcing me to write much of it, conflicts with XAMPP control panel and its beta version did not let me know if Perl was running or not! Like I said, it took me an hour to set XAMPP up compared to 15 minutes with IndigoAMPP. It as supposed to be simple, it was not.

The other problem was with Windows itself; Windows needs to be connected to some network for its networking processes to work! But connecting the machine to a router solved this problem. In Mac OS8/9, Mac OSX, and UNIX/Linux, the machine does not need to be connected to a network to do this kind of installation. So this second problem is a Windows Networking problem and not a problem with YaBB itself. Mind you, many in my little town of the Big Apple, New York City, NY, consider me as an expert on all things in IT and I do get paid well in doing such jobs and employment.

The only problem in installing YaBB was making the ‘yabb2’ and everything in it read and writeable by turning off the ‘Read-only’ option in its Property window. If you get a white screen while installing YaBB during set up, you need to check your ‘yabb2’ folder, its folders and files, making sure they can be written too.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:39pm by Elfen »  

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:37pm
Post Tools

Installing YaBB on Windows through XAMPP: Part V

V: YaBB

Once you have XAMPP running, installing YaBB will take a few steps.

Download the latest version of YaBB and put it in ‘My Documents’ Folder on the Desktop. If you are using XP, Vista or Win7, Windows will be able to extract the folders and files from the YaBB.zip file (currently at this time it is: YaBB_2.5_AE.zip). Double clicking on it will extract the files in a folder labeled: YaBB_2.5_AE. Opening this folder will give you the files README.txt and VERSION.txt, and folders Quick-Guide, cgi-bin and public_html. It is these last two folders cgi-bin and public_html that has YaBB in them and you need to pay attention to them.

Double-click on public_html and it will open showing another folder: yabbfiles. Right-click on the yabbfiles folder and scroll down to COPY to copy the folder into memory for the time being.

Now open by double clicking the ‘My Computer’ icon and then the ‘Local Disk (C:)’. There you will see a list of folders for Windows. Look for a folder labeled ‘xampp’. It should be there is you correctly installed it. If not, you will need to chase it down. Double-click on the ‘xampp’ folder once you find it. It will list a few more folders, the one you want will be labeled ‘apache-[version number]’. The one I’m using with XAMPP 1.7.7 has a folder labeled ‘htdocs’. This is where all html and image files goes into for a webserver to find them. Double-clicking this folder will have a few files in it to show you various things about the webserver. Here you Right-click on the mouse and select paste. In a while you should have a ‘yabbfiles’ folder in with the rest of the html files. One third of the work is done at this point.

The next thing to do is to do the same thing with YaBB’s cgi-files. Go back to ‘My Documents’ folder and look for where the YaBB folder is. Open it and open the ‘cgi-bin’ folder inside it. Right-click on the ‘yabb2’ folder ad select copy.

Go find the cgi-bin folder in the XAMPP directory and Double-click on it to open it. Right-click and select paste to copy the ‘yabb2’ folder and its files in there. Once this step is complete, two-thirds of the installation and the hardest part are done!

Right-click on the ‘yabb2’ folder and select ‘Properties’. Look around the Properties window and look for the ‘Attributes’ section. If ‘Read-only’ is checked, uncheck it and click on apply. This will open another window which you will select ‘Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files.’ This will make all the subfolders and files in the ‘yabb2’ folder read and writeable. Though this now makes your system open to hacks and attacks, you will need the YaBB Forum system open for you to set up. Later on when you are done, you will be restoring the Read-only option on a few files and folders and ensure the security of your YaBB System.

Looking around the XAMPP’s cgi-bin folder, open the ‘printenv.pl’ file with notepad. Look at the top line of the file, it should say, ‘#!”xampp/perl/bin/perl.exe” ’ . Highlight the line and copy it. Minimize the window and then open the ‘yabb2’ folder in the cgi-bin folder. Open each of the following files one at a time with notepad: AdminIndex.pl, FixFile.pl, Setup.pl and YaBB.pl. Highlight the top line which says ‘#!/usr/bin/perl -’ and paste ‘#!”xampp/perl/bin/perl.exe”’ in its place. Save each file when done. Now five-sixths of the work is done.

In browser, open page to localhost/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl
When asked for password, type in ‘admin’

In setting the paths for YaBB, click the ‘Insert’ button for Absolute Path and then click on ‘Autofill the forms below’. Make sure that all entries have a full directory and full urls with your domain name in it on the right side. Finally at the bottom of the page, click on ‘Save Settings’.

Give it a while to process.

Note: if you get a blank page at this section, it means that your files and folders are not writable. You need to check your YaBB folders and file permissions and uncheck the ‘Read-only’ option, apply and OK. Refreshing the page should bring the section that did not loaded.

Also Note: if you do not have your domain name setup yet, you can use ‘localhost’ as a domain name (not localhost.com, localhost.org, localhost.net, just ‘localhost’). When you get your domain name and have the site online, you can change ‘localhost’ to your domain name in the forum’s administration panel under ‘Path Settings’.

Next page will show you the installed modules on both Perl and YaBB. If there are missing modules, you can always add them later through the Perl CPan Library. With the XAMPP set up I have, these are the missing modules found:

Net::SMTP:TLS - used to send emails through SMTP:TLS, and not needed to run YaBB unless you want to send emails through Perl. You can use another email system like hMailServer to send emails for YaBB. You would need to configure that in the Adminstration Panel later on.

Compress:Bzip2 – used for the back up feature. Its does not effect the forum itself but as a forum administrator and owner, you will need to back up your forum, mainly the: Boards, Members, Messages, Modules, Sources Templates and Variables folders. You also need to back up the Paths.pl and YaBB.pl files.

After saving this page, the next page is System Set up. Fill in the options you have for your forum: Forum Name/Title, your email, domain name (if any at this time), etc.

The next page is ‘Checking System Files’ where the forum’s set up is checked. If there is an error or issues, you will be alerted to fix them and maybe hinted on how to fix them. In my installation, there were no issues to fix. Click on the ‘Continue’ button to do ‘Forum Settings’.

Next page will be the forum itself, saying that it is in Maintenance Mode, and asking you to log back in as the administrator. User = admin , Password = admin. Once logged in, you will see the forum as it is - blank. Click on the ‘Admin’ button on the button bar. At this point YaBB is running. You will need to go to the Admin Panel to make changes to the forum and get it out of Maintenance Mode. Also go to the ‘View/Delete Members’ page in the admin panel and give the admin user a new password!

Congratulations – It’s A YaBB Forum Done On XAMMP!

But it is a blank forum. All you have to do is make and shape the forum and its sections with the Forum Configurations and add forum sections and posts to get it stated. Put it online, make a few adjustments like adding the domain name in the administration panel, and tells your friends about it. Then watch it grow. All you have to do is administer it. As its owner, you can give administration and moderator rights to those you trust to help you run the site. At this point do a File Property on the YaBB files and the Admin, Modules, Sources, Help folders and set them to ‘Read-only’.

And that’s it.

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:36pm
Post Tools
Installing YaBB on Windows through XAMPP: Parts III & IV

III & IV: Perl & XAMPP

Perl is a computer programming language, which allows you to write programs to run on your computer. YaBB is a program and a series of modules written in Perl that will run on any system that has Perl on it.

Since Perl is an interpretive Computer Language, meaning that Perl sees the Perl code written in the program and converts each instruction one by one into machine code for the CPU to run, programs written in Perl can seem slow. But you would only know this if you known and seen the difference between Perl native code run against Perl Complied code. This difference can only be about .0572 of a second, imperceptible to you. The nice thing about Perl being an interpretive language is that if there is something wrong with the program, it will give you an error message and stop the program at that point. A compiled program with errors in it will crash and even damage files on a PC. Another plus with Perl is that you can modify the code as needed, which is done often on YaBB. With compiled programs, you can not modify it and are stuck with its results. In fact being able to modify YaBB is one of its biggest plus.

Installing XAMPP automatically installs Perl on to the system as it installs Apache, PHP and MySQL. The current release of XAMPP is 1.7.7, which installs PERL 5.10.1. XAMPP’s Perl is said to have access to CPAN and other Perl Libraries and is upgradeable but this is my first time using it and remains to be seen. It goes to say that I had problems installing it, but once properly installed, it works as stated.

Unlike most Perl systems installed on Windows, XAMPP’s Perl can not be verified through a Command.com (DOS) Window. Typing ‘perl –v’ on command.com will give you an error. From what I can tell this is because XAMPP’s Perl is accessed like an application and not part of the Windows Operating System. This means that every time a webpage calls access to Perl, it is loaded into the system and Perl runs the programs needed. There is no problem with this as far as I seen with YaBB.

Problems you may have installing XAMPP involves your firewall settings. Make changes to open ports for the webserver (port 80 and 8000). For other projects involving PHP and MySQL, you will need to open those ports as well. The server has to be connected to some network to make TCP/IP work. Also where you install XAMPP can cause problems. It needs to be installed in the root directory (usually at ‘C:/’ ). Make sure your virus and malware checking software is turned off.

IP Logged

Elfen

Installing YaBB on Windows through XAMPP
Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:34pm
Post Tools
Excuse the typoes. I was sleep typing again. But to those who profess on the belief of the users installing YaBB on WAMP, XAMPP or any other easy install, this is for you... It compares XAMPP to these others.

Bare with me, I have to install it in sections: Parts I & II

Installing YaBB on Windows through XAMPP

I: Don’t say I did not warn you…

As I have always said in the past about YaBB, it is that its one of the more secure forums out there. Chances are low that you will have somebody trying to break into your forum and render it useless. Mind you, there have been YaBB forums broken into and hacked into tiny bits until they were useless, but it was not done through YaBB. What I am saying is the attack on the forum happened because the attack went through the weaknesses of the operating system: Windows. By this I mean: Windows 95/98, Windows Me, Windows 2000 (non-server/client version), Windows XP/XP Media Center, Windows Vista and Windows 7; are all not secure to be run as a webserver to provide content and services. These systems are easy to get into and any website running on them are vulnerable to attacks. Running YaBB on these systems, you are basically stripping away any protection YaBB has and leaving it naked for would be hackers to do as they please with it and take down your forum. If you are going to put together a webserver and put a forum on it, and you can only do it on Windows, do it on the Windows Server Edition version: Windows NT, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2008 Server, and as far as I know Windows 2010 Server Edition.

Another warning I must give is Windows Internet Information Services (IIS) is not a secure Web Server Software. IIS has its place but its not serving live and always changing content that a forum would have. You can do things on IIS that cheats on its security, thus making it a weak and insecure system. If you want to use IIS, you will need to do a lot of work to it to give it some security, but such work is beyond the scope of this article. It’s easier to install Apache Webserver. But mind you, no version of Windows with IIS or Apache installed includes Perl. Perl has to be installed onto Windows before YaBB can be installed and used. We’ll discuss installing YaBB later.

One last warning is where you have your forum and server running. Having your server and forum running on a home DSL/Cable/FiOS network I would have to discourage. Running a server from home exposes your router and your other connected devices to intrusion and attack. They are also not fast enough to keep up with a traffic heavy site. Most tiny cable modem and connected routers can only handle a few connections at a time. Having you, your family and your TV running all at the same time limits what is left for the server to manage your forum members to access the forum with. I have seen and set up professional internet connections at people’s homes for their businesses, but the Average Joe out there can not afford $250 - $500 a month for such a professional line. $99 a month for TV/Phone and Internet is not worth the headaches when your server and forum is not able to serve content when there is no bandwidth to provide content on. In fact, in most internet systems like this – you make a phone call, you wont be able to be on the internet because voice services sucks up all the bandwidth such lines take.

Now, if you are really adamant about having a server at home and having a forum on it, I will discuss how it is done. Just don’t come crying to me when your site is hacked because you put it on a weak system or your forum members can’t connect because there is no bandwidth for your server and forum because your mom is talking to her sister – your auntie - long distance for the next 3 hours.

Lets say, You Have Been Warned.

II: Now, lets build that webserver.

As stated before on my YaBB Installation on Linux Article, you can use any PC that you have of find in the street to run a webserver. Anything that you can install Windows on, you can install the other programs to make it a webserver and run your forum on. A minimum system should have a hard drive with 10GB, a cheap video card (one built into on most mother boards is fine), a 500Mhz or better PIII CPU or AMD equivalent, and a case for it. Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor will also be nice since you will need it to set up all this software but wont once its up and running. Basically any machine you find in the trash or flea market today, desktop or laptop! I would recommend a laptop because it has all these things built in.

Though I recommend a minimum of 500Mhz Pentium III (or AMD equivalent), you can do this on a Pentium 100 system. Years ago, I built a server on a Dell Latitude P100 laptop running Windows 98. I still have it and run it in awe to see that it is still capable of doing this, But because of its speed and power, I can only have about 5 to 8 users connected to YaBB at the same time at any given time. This is not good by today’s standards, but in 1999 when YaBB started out and everyone was on a 486DX, Pentium or Pentium Pro processor, this was the best thing since sliced bread! But by today’s standards, you need something with a little more power and speed. A Pentium II at 250Mhz I would consider as a minimum system to build a worthwhile and workable server. But if you have the money to buy a brand new system, then fine. Just make sure that the system you get has at least one network port on it. A Celeron Processor of the same speed works just as well. In fact, I’m installing IndigoAMPP and YaBB on a Dell Latitude CPx running a Pentium III at 650MHz with 256Megs of RAM and a 20GB Harddrive.

Once you have your PC (or laptop) all together, its time to install Windows on it. What version you install is on you but you have been warned about installing a weak system for a webserver and only install a Server Edition of Windows. But if you must install XP or anything after that, please do yourself the favor of installing the Pro, Business or Ultimate version of that Windows. If anything, they do give you some protection over the Home versions, which have little to no protection at all. When the system is installed, connect to Microsoft and other websites (like Adobe) and perform a software update. This will insure that your system will be up to date against all known system weaknesses open to those attacks.

Also install any software that you will need like text editors. NotePad and WordPad maybe nice put they are not powerful or have tools to look over configuration or Perl Program files. (Do not install your webserver at this point.) I prefer and recommend Text Wrangler, though you could choose something else. Do not install MicroSoft Office or video editing software! This is a webserver, not your personal machine to do homework, run your business, games or video projects on! At best, doing this will slow down your machine. At worst, your machine gets hacked into and you lose everything!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top