Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Windows Server 2008 IIS 7 YaBB 2.5 (Read 6,680 times)
_STEVE_
YaBB Newcomer

Windows Server 2008 IIS 7 YaBB 2.5
Sep 24th, 2012 at 4:52pm
Post Tools
I had my forum running perfectly under Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6 on my old server, but since moving to our new 2008 server with IIS 7, I am unable to log into the forum!

When I enter my valid Administrator credentials, instead of logging me in, I get a message saying "The User ID field was not filled out. It is required." even though I did complete both username and password fields correctly.

The server is 64-bit but I am running YaBB in 32-bit mode.

All boards are displayed correctly and can be navigated ok, but no-one can log in!

Can somebody please help as I need to get this working ASAP

Thanks

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Windows Server 2008 IIS 7 YaBB 2.5
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 7:56pm
Post Tools
Our Windows server expert seems busy at the moment - he could tell you definitely. But at a wild guess, I'd say it was a write permissions issue. During log in the member file gets written to - if it can't write to the member files, then bad things happen.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 8:46pm
Post Tools
Hi Steve

I have a couple of quick questions.

A. - Did you install clean, test and then move your data files?

B. - Was it both a move and an upgrade to 2.5 IF so, what was the old version?

Thanks very much

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

_STEVE_
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 4:59pm
Post Tools
Hi, thanks for the quick responses guys!  Smiley

So... I had the forum all working nicely on Windows Server 2003 / IIS6 but the server developed problems and had to be replaced.

They replaced it with a Windows Server2008 / IIS7 machine (yay!) but unfortunately, my YaBB forum, copied from the backup of the old sever, won't allow the login.

Should I do a fresh install? If so, where are my data files that I need to keep so that I do not lose my configuration and postings etc?

I am a noob when it comes to YaBB so please be patient with me if I ask silly questions!  Wink

Cheers

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 6:08pm
Post Tools
Before doing anything rash, try clearing the YaBB cookies in your browser.
It's possible there's a mismatch between your existing cookies and what the backup install is looking for.  

If that doesn't do it, we have a couple people around here who can help guide you through a re-install.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2012 at 6:09pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

_STEVE_
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:59am
Post Tools
Hi Dandello

Thank you for the suggestion. I have deleted all cookies but the problem persists.  Sad

I have a backup of the YaBB forum files so if you could please talk me through a complete reinstall then tell me which files to restore from the backup to 're-build' the forum as-was, I would be most grateful.

Do you know if YaBB 2.5 is fully supported on WS2008 / IIS7?

Thank you for your help.  Smiley

Steve

IP Logged

_STEVE_
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:03pm
Post Tools
... one point I forgot to mention: The server is 64-bit but I am using the 32-bit version of YaBB 2.5

... is this an issue?

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 2:34pm
Post Tools
The ONLY way to move a YaBB install that actually works reliably is do a clean install, test and then bring back the 'data elements'.

As to 'fully supported' - It certainly runs on IIS7. Most of those installs I am aware of are on hosted servers or managed VPS's. That is not a huge number. I would bet all of them are 64 bit installs, as I can't imagine a hosting company installing the 32 bit version due to the memory mapping issue (it would be a non-starter).

Is this an in-house server, a hosted server, a VPS or a VM?

I am aware of one persistent unresolved bug on Server 2008/Active States 64 bit installs. I ran into it myself when I had a running Server2008 in core mode. Basically - you see the same text displayed twice (you'll catch this right away).  As a systems engineer, my 'guess' was that it had to do with FastCGI and how YaBB is coded.  I have had other reports of the same occurrence.

I don't think you have this problem. So the chances are you just need to set up clean, install, and test.

Make it work, when you bring back the data - the test install is lost, as all the pointers are gone.

The problem here is the low numbers, there's not enough info to say anything definitively.

Did you set up Perl/Application Handler. (like this link)?
http://www.howtogeek.com/50479/how-to-install-perl-on-iis-7-for-windows-server-2...

I strongly suggest you don't directly use Windows backup/restore methods for bringing back the data. If the old server is still online, in the same domain and on the same network use a 'copy' method to get the files onto the new server. (could be a portable drive also)  When you get to the 'bring the files back' point - copy NOT move the files to their new location, then re-apply all the correct NTFS permissions to the YaBB folders & OK the 'apply to subfolder & files' dialogue. There is (AFAIK) only one file that does not adhere to its parent's inheritance.  'Paths.pl' in the root of Yabb's install folder. It has to be set manually to 'Write' for the IUSR.

Good Luck
Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012 at 3:03pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Post Tools
YaBB is interpreted by Perl - so it's the Perl version running on your machine that you have to worry about - 2.5AE has a few issues with the most current Perl - 5.12 works for it, 5.16 doesn't without some YaBB patches (or moving to the 2.5.2 beta)- but what you're describing aren't the symptoms of this problem.

JonB is our local server expert and I'm sure he'll be checking in shortly.

For an install - Download a new 2.5AE and do a completely new install according the the Quick-Guide instructions and make sure the problem isn't also in the new install.  (One thing that will happen is the new install will check and make sure your Perl version has all the modules YaBB needs to run properly. It should also show if you need to patch YaBB 2.5 for Perl 5.14/5.16.)

Once the new install is good (you can log in as Admin and things save properly from there), copy your Members, Messages, Boards, and Variables folders over to the new installation as well as Templates if you have custom templates. Also copy over the contents of the yabbfiles/Attachments (if it isn't empty), yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars (if it isn't empty) and the yabbfiles/Templates folder (if you have custom templates).

Then, in admin, run the various 'rebuild, recount' utilities.

Assuming your install went okay, this should work. Once you're up and running you'll also need to reinstall any mods you had as those will not be in your new install.

Edited:
Didn't I say JonB would be around?
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012 at 2:36pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

_STEVE_
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!  Cheesy

JonB and Dandello, you have between you got me working again and I am extremely grateful!

What worked for me was a clean install and setup of 2.5AE then a copy of Boards etc

Worked like a charm!  Smiley

Not happy to just sit back and accept that it now worked, I did a compare between the new (working) and old YaBB installations and found the problem to be something as simple as the local filepaths being defined differently on the two servers. Simple, but without you guys I probably wouldn't have found this!

JonB, for your info, I am running a dedicated server to which I have full admin rights, so this was easy for me to do.

Thank you so much.

Steve

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 4:43pm
Post Tools
Excellent!!  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 6:28pm
Post Tools
Steve -

I'm glad you have it working now (and I am sure you are gladder than I am  Grin )

Just so you know - We are busy evolving a really new YaBB over the next year. We have several initiatives, including improved installers and better 'server qualification'.  One of the things MOST needed is testing for IIS and IIS installation scripting.  LOL - this is 'non-destructive' testing we are talking about.

This is something I'd like to discuss with you. Please send me a PM.

Good luck & thanks very much
Cool

BTW - did you vote on the next release's theme?

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1348531012

IP Logged

_STEVE_
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:11am
Post Tools
Jon,

I would be more than happy to help out with any beta testing.

I have several website customers that are asking for forums, so am happy to try anything new - just let me know.

My setup is Windows Server 2008 Standard / IIS 7 running on a SuperMicro 64-bit server.

You may be able to help me with one more little problem I am having...?  Wink

My forums are now working (as mentioned above) but the Advanced Settings page is returning this error:

502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.
There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.

... any thoughts?

Cheers,

Steve
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:12am by _STEVE_ »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 2:08pm
Post Tools
This one may be related to a little glitch relating to a *nix command that chokes some Win servers. Open Settings_Advanced.pl in a good text editor  and find
Code
Select All
# Free Disk Space Checking
my @disk_space = qx{df -k .};
map { $_ =~ s/ +/  /g } @disk_space; 

Comment out the lines of code. (put a # in front of them.)

If that doesn't do it, then I'm sure JonB will have more questions.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 9:46pm
Post Tools
@ Dandello

Yep - that would been the first thing I would looked at.  We learned a lot eh?  I know now exactly what really happens with that code, BTW.

As you know I have been moving servers - some had to go to my 'shop' on their way to new homes.  LOL - some needed to go to my shop!  Whooo-boy...   Shocked

Anyway - Much IP wackiness ensued. A few things went 'whoops'.  BOY did I lean a lot about YaBB. (and spammers & spam-bots)    smiley=angry.gif]

whatever.
Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top