Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic CHMOD & BoardMods (Read 1,031 times)
Paul James
YaBB Newcomer

None
CHMOD & BoardMods
Oct 5th, 2012 at 12:50pm
Post Tools
Hi,
How can I move one Yabb Board from one webserver to another without having to CHMOD each time ? The hosting servers are Linux and I'm using windows so if I FTP from Linux webserver to laptop (XP/Win7) I have to CHMOD on new upload server. Is there a quick and easy way to circumvent this please ?

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: CHMOD & BoardMods
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 1:14pm
Post Tools
If you are on a shared webhost (meaning without shell access), its quite difficult.

Ask at the help/support desk if they offer or support archiving to tar.gz. Both webhosts would need to support the option, and you would need to be able to extract onto the target (new) server. There also might be file ownership issues, as generally the users and default groups are provisioned differently from one hosting company to to the next. Its a function of how the servers were setup and what Control Panels are in use.  

You would want to have two separate tarballs - one with what is under cgi-bin, and the other with the 'public_html'/yabbfiles.  You will also have to manually edit at least one file - Paths.pl   You may also need to edit all the shebang lines (path to Perl) for the directly called YaBB files (its in the Quick Guide) if the Perl Path is different; could be /usr/bin/perl or /user/sbin/perl (or something else)
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1233421622

Even if you were able to do this, This is not a recommended way to move between servers. The right/approved manner is to do a clean install, and then ONLY move the data from the old server - you will save may headaches.
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190674425

Let us know if you have more questions.

Good Luck
Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2012 at 1:28pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Paul James
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 1:25pm
Post Tools
JohnB,
Many thanks - it sounds like I need to do a clean install each time.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 3:17pm
Post Tools
Before I realized it wasn't supposed to work that way - I did transfer two entire forums (twice) by just zipping them into tarballs, uploading them and unzipping them - luckily the overall file structure for the two servers were pretty close to the same.  I edited Paths.pl and the only files that I actually needed to CHMOD to 755 were AdminIndex.pl and YaBB.pl. Everything else was already set to the proper defaults of folders at 755 and files to 644.

But in my defense - both forums were modded to the hilt and reinstalling 10+ mods plus refactored base code looked a lot worse than CHMODding every single file if it came to that.

So it can be done. But you probably need a real good reason to do it that way.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 5:50pm
Post Tools
IMO, what it mostly depends on is:

Do you have shell access?

Know-um you the Command line?

If yes to both, and the servers are setup about the same - eminently do-able.  I do it all the time on my Linux boxes. I only run Centos or Fedora so the stuff is almost always in exactly the same spot.

Otherwise - headaches abound.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top