Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Let's re-visit the roll back idea. (Read 5,718 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Let's re-visit the roll back idea.
Oct 11th, 2012 at 8:00pm
Post Tools
I know this has been mentioned before but, this forum should be rolled away from 3.0.

Maybe go with 2.5.2 once it is fully released.

While trying to add a topic notification earlier, to a thread that I had not been part of, I realized that it is another thing that doesn't work, at least not for me.

As mentioned in the past, YaBB should showcase a fully working version of its product.

I bet one would be hard pressed to find another forum software that uses a incomplete and unsupported version of its software as their support forum.

Just thinking out loud. Cool

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Let's re-visit the roll back idea.
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:24pm
Post Tools
We are thinking through a plan (with Corey). He and I literally discussed this a bit yesterday or the day before.

Thanks for bringing it up.
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:58pm
Post Tools
That's good to hear. Thanks for the response Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:59pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 8:00pm:
As mentioned in the past, YaBB should showcase a fully working version of its product.

I bet one would be hard pressed to find another forum software that uses a incomplete and unsupported version of its software as their support forum.

You certainly have that right. I've never understood why this forum operates with faulty software. It makes no sense at all.

JonB wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:24pm:
We are thinking through a plan (with Corey).

This would be good news. It's been a horrible mistake for YaBB to use this version to showcase its software. This is the kind of decision that leaves people scratching their heads and wondering if anyone's minding the store.

Without a doubt, I'm sure plenty of people are saying, "I can't believe they do this."  Roll Eyes

Maybe one day we'll all laugh about it, but nobody would believe this actually happened. Cheesy

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 1:59am
Post Tools
The point was to keep interest in YaBB going to show that huge leaps were being made.  Updates were being made frequently to fix bugs and add features.  Once development slowed, we have what we have.  That is why we discussed a rollback as long as the data is compatible.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:14am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 1:59am:
The point was to keep interest in YaBB going to show that huge leaps were being made.

That's the rub. Huge leaps were being made, but that was some time ago.

Unfortunately, because we now have what we have, and it's been this way for a long time, the only thing that's being showcased is how buggy YaBB Next Edition is.

For future reference, please, please, please never again use an updated version of YaBB for this chat and support community until it's a truly stable version.

Personally, I'm now kind of questioning the idea of rolling back to an earlier version of YaBB. If my limited experience hasn't deceived me, testbeds of YaBB's newer version seem to work quite nicely. So for those of you who actually know, wouldn't it be easier to install a fresh copy of YaBB's newest version as you have it now, and then copy over all of the pertinent data to update this particular forum?

If that works in a test folder, then maybe a switch can be made so that people coming here will see that everything pretty much works as it should.

Yes, I realize you developers are still dealing with some bugs with what you're working on, but aren't those bugs kind of minor, and fixable compared to all that's wrong with the running of YaBB Next Edition? Just thinking aloud here.

But what do I know? I'm just a guy who continues to enjoy how well our YaBB 2.4 version works. Pretty sweet!

On an ironically related note, here we have in this forum true experts of how to install YaBB, and yet, YaBB's own support forum is without the benefit of a stable version of YaBB. This almost defies explanation.

To that point for future reference whenever others have difficulty installing YaBB, please give them a break, and be empathetic about it.

On the bright side of things, in general YaBB is better now than it ever has been before. We have people working on a new version, thank you very much, we have an administrator who stays on top of things, and we have our project leader at the helm.
Life is great, and so is YaBB!  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 2:34pm
Post Tools
As an admin (not here but in general), I think what Corey is trying to say: Next has some features that may not permit the data to roll-back well to a previous version - namely the sub-boards. (The Calendar is a standard mod so shouldn't be much of a problem to add on to an 'earlier' version and bring the data over.)

But: unless the sub-boards can be safely ported back to a non-sub-board version - or someone familiar with how the sub-board coding works helps out with adding it (as a mod or taking the existing beta code and adding it) - moving back to a 'less complex' version may not be entirely feasible.  But I may be wrong.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:23pm
Post Tools
That is exactly correct, and I am calling you now

Wink

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Post Tools
Would moving the post from the sub boards to a parent board that does not contain any sub boards help ease the process?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 6:39pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 2:34pm:
As an admin (not here but in general), I think what Corey is trying to say: Next has some features that may not permit the data to roll-back well to a previous version - namely the sub-boards.

Ah, that makes sense. Then I guess you and others with capable hands can maybe figure out a way to fix whatever needs to be fixed with Next Edition so that it's not so buggy.

By the way, as a reminder to a rendering issue I mentioned a few months ago (YaBB Support Codex), the relatively quick and easy fix is to correct the location of the language icons.

One thing at a time.  Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 8:59pm
Post Tools
At the moment we are working to get out this release. All our energies need to go in that direction for at least the next week.

When that is done we are going to do some thinking and testing.

Edited:
I should explain that we are using fairly specific roadmaps for several (3-4) iterations of software. 2.6 is already 'scheduled' to be data-compatible with '3.0/Next' as you see it here (with sub-forums).  There are also 'things to be torn out' and "that's nice" pieces we would like to preserve - that is where the thinking part comes in Wink
We also have modularization of CSS and removing all the in-line HTML on that same 2.6 target.  A lot of work to get there, time frame more than a 'few' months.  So what can/should be done at this juncture requires a bit of 'big picture' thinking.

Thanks very much for all the input.

Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012 at 10:03pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:33pm
Post Tools

Considering how long this forum has operated with a buggy version of YaBB, I don't think there needs to be a rush about getting things updated or fixed. I'd love to see things done yesterday, but there's really no need. After all, the damage to YaBB's reputation has already been done. So even with a version of YaBB that the community can be proud of, YaBB's reputation is going to take some time to rebuild.

Even more importantly, the best forum software in the word won't matter much until word gets out that this support forum is once again sincerely friendly and supportive to its community at large. Particularly of late, I generally see good things happening here, and evidently behind the scenes as well, so I'm very optimistic about YaBB's future.

In internet years, YaBB has been around forever. It deserves to be a major player again.  Smiley

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 8:02am
Post Tools
Now, as you know, I'm not shy when it comes to being critical of YaBB and how it's managed. But...

This site was updated for all the right reasons at the time. However, development issues caused development to stall, leaving this site high and dry, on a branch of the code that may be dead.

With the benefit of hindsight, I could be critical, but I think it was the right decision at the time (and Y3 was expected within months)

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 8:03am
Post Tools
And going back through my notes, this (being a Y3 beta) would have been converted to UTF8

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 3:22pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Oct 14th, 2012 at 8:02am:
This site was updated for all the right reasons at the time. However, development issues caused development to stall, leaving this site high and dry, on a branch of the code that may be dead.

With the benefit of hindsight, I could be critical, but I think it was the right decision at the time (and Y3 was expected within months)

You're absolutely right. At the time it was no doubt the best thing to do - to showcase the work being done and get people excited about future developments.

But getting stalled and not fixing things puts a pall over the whole project and gives the impression that there's no one left who cares or in a position to fix it.

But we're getting on track again and this site is in our sights for getting the bugs out and getting it back on track so it can properly show off what YaBB can do.  Smiley

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools