Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Will YaBB work on a Yahoo domain? (Read 2,474 times)
timbuk4
YaBB Newcomer

Will YaBB work on a Yahoo domain?
Oct 12th, 2012 at 6:33am
Post Tools
I have two websites on Yahoo! I do not think they have a cgi-bin directory. How would I upload YaBB without it?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Will YaBB work on a Yahoo domain?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:23am
Post Tools
timbuk4 wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 6:33am:
I have two websites on Yahoo! I do not think they have a cgi-bin directory. How would I upload YaBB without it?

Hopefully the following will help (from this source):

Quote:
Where is my cgi-bin directory?

Yahoo! does not support or require a cgi-bin directory to run Perl scripts. You may place Perl scripts anywhere in your site directory structure. Be sure each script includes the file extension .pl or, if you are calling a Perl module, .pm. If your Perl script uses the extension .cgi, please rename it with the extension .pl.

It may also help to read this page since you'll be creating a cgi-bin directory of your own.

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:37am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:29am
Post Tools
Having had Yahooooooo! (*in case you have ever called their customer support) web sites, I can say they have a lot of 'non-standard' stuff.  In fact I still have several Yahoo domains I run for 'captive clients'.  Yahoo runs a highly modified variant of Unix/Linux, with an equally highly modified webserver.  LOL - Yux and Yahooopche   Grin

In particular, as I recall, you can't use .htaccess. I dealt with this only last year for SEO. Please check and ensure I am correct. If I am, you will probably not be able to install YaBB securely.

Good Luck
Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:31am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

timbuk4
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:35pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:29am:
In particular, as I recall, you can't use .htaccess. I dealt with this only last year for SEO. Please check and ensure I am correct. If I am, you will probably not be able to install YaBB securely.
Cool

Thank you both. The .htaccess thing was going to be my next question. Yahoo! considers it an invalid filename due to the leading period. Do I rename the file (and would that entail changing a TON of references to it in various YaBB files) or would YaBB work OK without it? I hope I can still use YaBB.
Thanks  Shocked

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 6:23pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:29am:
In particular, as I recall, you can't use .htaccess. I dealt with this only last year for SEO. Please check and ensure I am correct. If I am, you will probably not be able to install YaBB securely

Our company managed a number of YaBB forums hosted by GeoCities, which was subsequently purchased by Yahoo. About 10 years later, Yahoo shut down GeoCities (but not the GeoCities Japan version).

But looking back on my notes, evidently the YaBB forums that continued, and which were subsequently hosted by Yahoo were actually hosted elsewhere, and brought into Yahoo hosted sites via iFrames. I'm now wondering if the .htaccess issue was one of the reasons for this.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 8:45pm
Post Tools
About YaBB "on" a Yahoo server -

Let me be clear - if that is an Apache Server and you cannot use .htaccess (which is Apache's security 'tool') and you do not have a folder that is configured for remote executable files (CGI) - you cannot configure (AFAIK) YaBB to operate in a secure fashion where your data folders cannot be read by anyone on the web.

I don't think it can be technically relied upon, because you do not have access to the Apache configuration. The only way Apache can 'pay attention' to Apache directives (which is what is in .htaccess files)  is by looking for the filetype defined in  the " AccessFileName" directive. So changing the name is not a solution.

This is the 'magic' that keeps web users from 'seeing' what is in the datafiles in YaBB.

Code
Select All
AuthUserFile /dev/null
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName DenyViaWeb
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Limit>

Absent that being present AND that you do not have a 'cgi-bin' folder (where the files present, if called from the web are expected to be executable) - I am basically telling you that I suspect all your data will be exposed.

The answer is simple - ask YahOO Support (its a free call) "is .htaccess supported?" If the answer is 'no', you cannot reliably run YaBB on their servers. Sorry - its a fact.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/smallbusiness/webhosting/perl/

All is not lost - see next post -

Good Luck
Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012 at 9:44pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 9:43pm
Post Tools
You still probably can run YaBB forums 'for' those servers without moving everything.

Note I said 'for' and not 'on'. - YaBB probably will not run on Yahoo servers. But, as Bill alluded to in his last post, you can have YaBB 'appear to run on a server' using an 'in-line frame' 

An in-line frame is a way to embed a 'window' to another URL within an HTML page.  You almost certainly have seen these before - Inside a page there is an area that has itt own scrollbars (although it does not have to have that element).  It's a picture window to another location on the web.

You could run your YaBB forums on another hosting company (could be very inexpensive) and simply include a new page on your existing site(s) that has an inline frame that opens into your YaBB forum. I have seen and worked on lots of these.

Good Luck
Wink

IP Logged

Barefoot Brat
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:08pm
Post Tools
timbuk4 wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 6:33am:

As far as uploading to Yahoo, I have been running a Yabb forum on yahoo since 2.1 came out. I created my own cgi-bin and public_html folders and uploaded.

No, you do not have .htaccess, you can't upload it. I am not savvy like the other posters here about the security,, and it may not be enough but I have always put in a robots.txt file in every folder and a index.html file for folders I do not want others accessing.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:28pm
Post Tools
Without .htaccess you lose a lot of security functionality - Guardian can't block things on the domain level, and there are other things as well that YaBB may need.

However - since YaBB runs in Apache on Windows (which doesn't have .htaccess), if you don't mind not having those missing security functions, chances are the only way to know is to install YaBB on that server and see how it behaves. It may run fine. It may not.

As Barefoot Brat indicated - you can create your own 'cgi-bin' directory for the files.

Edited:
Oops - the person who told me that Apache on Windows doesn't use .htaccess was in error.  So ignore the above. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:03pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:09pm
Post Tools
Barefoot Brat -

I'm pretty sure that all an index.html file being present does is prevent browsing a folder.  You would have to know what the global httpd.conf had in it.

Good Luck
Cheesy

IP Logged

Barefoot Brat
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 9:22pm
Post Tools
You are right Jon. Like I said though, I am an extreme newb at security issues. I just keep my fingers crossed at the moment until I am ready to move to another server. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top