Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic O/S headaches (Read 1,352 times)
The Boy

Re: O/S headaches
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Post Tools
Its my day job to fix Windows, Linux and proper Unix servers that people break. Welcome to my world Grin

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 7:04pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Oct 15th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
It's XP Pro.

Yea, I kinda figured it might be something like that. All seems good now.

Went ahead and did a complete fresh install. Probably was overdue. I've abused it so much over the years with all my rubbish and experiments that I like to play around with.  Grin

lol i know what you mean i still have my xp hdd on a 1024x768 screen only harf my start menu shows lol and dont even ask what the load time is  Grin but i have to say i have never liked vista but it was on my laptops when i got them but when i did update my pc i went with win7pro and have to say win7 is almost the same as xp pro i also just got a new pc and that has win 7 home premium so need to get that updated to pro i am just moving my stuf over just now it's just the install of the programs that slow me down same old lol

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 6:24pm
Post Tools
It's XP Pro.

Yea, I kinda figured it might be something like that. All seems good now.

Went ahead and did a complete fresh install. Probably was overdue. I've abused it so much over the years with all my rubbish and experiments that I like to play around with.  Grin

<div class=

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 5:42pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Oct 15th, 2012 at 3:54pm:
XP.

It's been giving me different problems, the biggest being freezing and slow to boot. Tried running all the regular anti-spam programs that I have with no improvement.

Used Sea Tools to test the drive and that showed good.

So, I did the repair as that has worked in the past but then it would not boot up completely. Just said "please wait" for almost an hour.

Ran chkdisk.... Booted fine still seemed slow but not as bad.

Installed SP3, bam. Wouldn't boot again.

So, I said I got something that will work. A complete wipe and re-install.

oh i know this its a botched sp2 update a part that sp3 was needing sp2 was telling the update server that it had that part even if it diden't after a rollback or uninstall norm happens on xp home but some times on xp pro as well best tool i use is combofix  Wink and if it stalls while working i just run msconfig and stop all startup items then restart combofix
also most of the time you can do a overinstall xp just like win 98 win 7 is the same just dont ask about vista   Lips Sealed lol

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 4:22pm
Post Tools
A trick I've used when Windows just bombed out and I wasn't sure about my last backup - installed a new HD (they are so frickin' cheap now), put the old drive in a USB case, installed Windows on the new HD, grabbed my data off the old HD.

My son changed out his old boot drive for a solid-state one a couple months ago. Thing runs like a bat outta....  Wink

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 3:54pm
Post Tools
XP.

It's been giving me different problems, the biggest being freezing and slow to boot. Tried running all the regular anti-spam programs that I have with no improvement.

Used Sea Tools to test the drive and that showed good.

So, I did the repair as that has worked in the past but then it would not boot up completely. Just said "please wait" for almost an hour.

Ran chkdisk.... Booted fine still seemed slow but not as bad.

Installed SP3, bam. Wouldn't boot again.

So, I said I got something that will work. A complete wipe and re-install.

<div class=

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 3:36pm
Post Tools
what windows was it and what happend to need a repair ?

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
O/S headaches
Oct 15th, 2012 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
Ugggg!!!

Nothing ruins a morning like having to do the big ole nasty re-install of Windows because the repair that was attempted last night, failed.  Smiley  Cry

On a positive note, I was able to recover all of my data, unless I missed something.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top