Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2.2.2 to 2.5 (Read 6,604 times)
Bunta

2.2.2 to 2.5
Oct 18th, 2012 at 4:22am
Post Tools
I recall trying to update from 2.2 to 2.3 a long while ago and failing twice, frustrating since I've updated YaBB to newer versions several times before without issue. My YaBB is outdated now and I wish to upgrade to 2.5. Is the method still as it used to be (install new version then upload and chmod newer files)? Or is there an automatic upgrader available now? Thanks.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: 2.2.2 to 2.5
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 9:01am
Post Tools
Hi Bunta

YaBB 2.5.2 will be out soon where as in the past to go from yabb 1x or 2x you had to update to 2.3.1 then to 2.4 or 2.5 there is now no need for the middleman you can now update from 1x or 2x to 2.5.2 some more info

YaBB 2.5.2 the beta download page is here http://testbed.dandello.net/downloads/index.shtml with all the info you need
and here you will find the beta forum with more info http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl We have a go date for (Sunday, Oct 21) now
although this has been put off before to fix some more bugs we have found and that i think this time we are on the T-5 countdown so no more stops Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bunta

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:31am
Post Tools
Thanks for the reply, but that link doesn't have information about upgrading. Is there an automatic method available or will I have to install a new forum and replace files? Thanks?

IP Logged

Bunta

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:33am
Post Tools
I didn't mean to put a question mark after the 'thanks', but I can't find an edit button so I had to type a whole new message explaining myself in case my remark appeared offensive. Am I missing the edit button or is there not one?

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:50am
Post Tools
Post tools to edit.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 11:53am
Post Tools
Bunta wrote on Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:31am:
Thanks for the reply, but that link doesn't have information about upgrading. Is there an automatic method available or will I have to install a new forum and replace files? Thanks?

ok in the download zip there is the Quick-Guide_252 this is information about installing, upgrading you can see a copy of this here http://testbed.dandello.net/Quick-Guide_252/English/extras/upgradeY2.php
but the most updated version of this is in the zip  Wink.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 2:03pm
Post Tools
You'll need to backup your forum to a safe place and install the new software. Transfer your messages, members, boards, User Avatars, and attachments into their proper places according to the newest Quick-Guide. Depending on the age of the forum, you may need to run either the File Convert or FixFile for the final step in the upgrade installation.

There are substantial changes between 1x,2x and 2.5x so simply 'upgrading' by replacing files is not a good option and so has not been offered. At some point in the future we hope to have a feature where the software really is close to a one-click install/upgrade.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bunta

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 11:01am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Oct 19th, 2012 at 2:03pm:
You'll need to backup your forum to a safe place and install the new software. Transfer your messages, members, boards, User Avatars, and attachments into their proper places according to the newest Quick-Guide. Depending on the age of the forum, you may need to run either the File Convert or FixFile for the final step in the upgrade installation.

There are substantial changes between 1x,2x and 2.5x so simply 'upgrading' by replacing files is not a good option and so has not been offered. At some point in the future we hope to have a feature where the software really is close to a one-click install/upgrade.

Thanks mate, that's the info I wanted to know about. Every YaBB upgrade I've done has been that way. I was hoping I could do it automatically this time. I'll save the upgrade for the next rainy night. Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 3:49pm
Post Tools
2.5.2 is now out and you don't have to go through 2.3.1 for your initial conversions. There are built-in anti-spam features, too. Let us know how it goes.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bunta

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 2:34pm
Post Tools
Everything went fine up 'til the Fixfile.pl step. I ran it, then I clicked on the 'update file structure' button and got this:

Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:29pm
Post Tools
In 2.5AE or 2.5.2?

When I've gotten that screen, it usually means bad data has gotten through or something has gotten corrupted. Is the chmod for Fixfile.pl set to 755?

Did you go through all your file maintenance on your old forum before copying the files into the new one?

IP Logged

Bunta

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:48pm
Post Tools
Yep the CHMOD is right for that file. Maybe I've run this file on an earlier upgrade, would that cause the error?

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:53pm by Bunta »  

IP Logged

Bunta

Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Post Tools
The new forum seems to work fine. What wouldn't work properly if the file structure hadn't been updated?

IP Logged

Bunta

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:33pm
Post Tools
SOLVED. I went back and ran maintenance again on old files and reloaded boards, members, messages. Thanks for the tip. Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
Glad things are okay now.  Smiley

What we've discovered (and should make this a really big instruction in the Quick-Guide), errors creep into the data - not enough to make things crash when run through the program that created them (ie. older version of YaBB) but enough to choke FixFile. So running all the maintenance utilities first takes care of the little niggles.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:58pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top