Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Banned IPS, email addresses and rejecting members (Read 1,621 times)
dave1

Banned IPS, email addresses and rejecting members
Oct 21st, 2012 at 1:52pm
Post Tools
i am not sure if I am in the right place for this but i thought a good idea for the yabb boards would be to offer a checkbox and give us webmasters the choice to not only reject a prospective member but at the SAME TIME add their IP and or email address to the lists that ban or block them.  Just a thought.....  have a great day

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Banned IPS, email addresses and rejecting members
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 2:35pm
Post Tools
i will pass this on but find what you are asking for here "Ban IP Addresses from the Registration Log" http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1320684758 hope this is of some help to you  Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:15am
Post Tools
Banning IPs And/or email addresses from the Reglog and even the error log is a good idea - provided we can come up with a way for it not to bloat Settings.pl. Maybe those two should be part of a future reconfiguring of banning - to allow for timed bans and even banned source. (Admin, Guardian, SFS, etc.)

One thing that happens is once an IP is banned, the abusers simply change IP addresses to get around it and so one abuser could have scads of banned IP addresses which bloats Settings.pl but does little else as they've moved on.

(I also have a philosophical issue with anything writing to Settings.pl without the Admin hitting a 'save' button - but that's my thing.  Tongue)

So programming guys, put your thinking caps on. Get the ban info out of Settings.pl and add timing and sources to the ban list. (It will also need something like a 'clean ban list' to get rid of expired timed bans and things like Guardian and SFS bans older than an Admin specified age.)

Who's game?   Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:16am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:33am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:15am:
Banning IPs And/or email addresses from the Reglog and even the error log is a good idea - provided we can come up with a way for it not to bloat Settings.pl.

As I've mentioned a few times before, I too have been concerned about bloating the Settings.pl file, so thanks for addressing this issue. Maybe a reference to another file can be made in the Settings.pl file ... just thinking aloud.

Dandello wrote on Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:15am:
... (I also have a philosophical issue with anything writing to Settings.pl without the Admin hitting a 'save' button - but that's my thing.  Tongue)

I feel the same way.
By the way, you and the rest of the YaBB team have been doing a superb job of late.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top