Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Thanks for hanging in there - (Read 1,036 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Thanks for hanging in there -
Oct 21st, 2012 at 8:54pm
Post Tools
To paraphrase the Great One; 'YaBB 2.5.2 is one mean, clean, lean Forum machine! "

Try it -  Wink

To everyone who worked on and/or tested 2.5.2 - THANK YOU!

To everyone who encouraged the YaBB Team - THANK YOU!

To everyone running YaBB on your Forum(s) - THANK YOU!

We shall now embark on the Great Code Cleanup, and other adventures in YaBB Land.  I had a long conversation with Corey today. I think we made a lot of progress defining YaBB's future and now have a good roadmap to work with.

The YaBB team will begin publishing the RoadMap over the next couple of days. Some are already familiar with its basic ideas, components and methods. That is where we are going now. For everyone else, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by how forward thinking this effort is.

Thanks again
Cool.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Re: Thanks for hanging in there -
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 2:38pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Oct 21st, 2012 at 8:54pm:
The YaBB team will begin publishing the RoadMap over the next couple of days. Some are already familiar with its basic ideas, components and methods. That is where we are going now. For everyone else, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by how forward thinking this effort is.

I know I don't have to say this, but don't run before you can walk.

In the 6.5yrs I've been a YaBBer, there has always been this great goal of YaBB3.  Bigger, better, and oh so glorious.

But in being bigger/better/glorious, it meant it was a too big a cherry to chew, and it always stalled.

I feel we have momentum back in the project, and if we can get together some smaller releases to introduce new features, performance benefits, and security enhancements, this is more beneficial than a leave it all to a big, massive (and probably never released) major version update.

So I'd like to see more regular releases with minor updates, whilst we learn to run towards Y3.

Just my tuppence worth.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 3:40pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Oct 22nd, 2012 at 2:38pm:
I feel we have momentum back in the project, and if we can get together some smaller releases to introduce new features, performance benefits, and security enhancements, this is more beneficial than a leave it all to a big, massive (and probably never released) major version update.

So I'd like to see more regular releases with minor updates, whilst we learn to run towards Y3.

You're reading our minds  Grin

The goal of 2.5.2 was to get as many of the reported bugs out as we could and add some of the security features we've been telling people to install or were strongly suggested while not totally messing up people's ability to install their favorite mods. I think we've succeeded.

For 2.5.4 and beyond: We know here we need to end up -> an incredibly easy installer/converter, mySQL (which will improve Search), subboards, even better Admin choices and the best Perl, javascript, html, and css we know how to write along Mobile support. All without making YaBB so bloated as to make it unwieldy.

It's a big job. But to quote Jor-El of Krypton: "On a long journey, take small steps."  Wink

We've just started the journey.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 4:59pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Oct 21st, 2012 at 8:54pm:
I had a long conversation with Corey today. I think we made a lot of progress defining YaBB's future and now have a good roadmap to work with.

I'm still thrilled with the progress YaBB has made lately, particularly since I feel somewhat vindicated for defending YaBB to others who were either attacked for their critiques, or were otherwise pushed aside because they were made to feel unwelcomed.

Even today, not every YaBB team member welcomes me in this forum. Thankfully, and you know who you are, a lot of people continued to support me in private, and some of you as I came to know, even cautiously spoke out on my behalf behind the scenes ... and of course you supported other people as well, which is really what counts.

The biggest failings of YaBB hasn't been its software. After all, the 2.4 version I still use is a beautiful piece of software, and it works well. But just as it is with pretty much any endeavor of such a grand scale as the sharing of an open source project, the biggest failing has been one of human nature.

YaBB can never grow in the way that it deserves without every member of YaBB's team being supportive of YaBB's community at large even as they might have personality conflicts with certain individuals. One has to put childish behavior aside, and act accordingly.

Thankfully, however, there's always been Corey to go to, and for me personally as it happened, JonB stood firm in the face of discontent to allow my participation, and by difficult extension, it seems that he's allowed everybody's participation.

Ironically, I think what actually turned YaBB around were the very people who tried to help with criticism, not the least of whom included YaBB Legend Carsten who deleted his membership from this forum.

I hope Carsten will return.

Hint, hint: Maybe someone on YaBB's team will extend an official invitation to him personally, and even salvage his posts to reactivate his YaBB Legend status, which of course would be well deserved.

As for the hundreds, and even thousands of people who have left over the years because of how there were so poorly treated, can YaBB's team please incorporate a human mod to always be supportive, and inclusive from this point forward?

If any YaBB team member ostracizes any one person, by extension they ostracize everyone.

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to celebrate YaBB's new life, and optimistically hope for the best.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top