Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic forum time zone query (Read 3,371 times)
trekwebmaster

forum time zone query
Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:15am
Post Tools
My forum did not automatically adjust for the clocks going back.
The setting on the forum admin look right, but I can only set individual members times not the whole forum.
can anyone help please.

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: forum time zone query
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:28am
Post Tools
trekwebmaster wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:15am:
My forum did not automatically adjust for the clocks going back.
The setting on the forum admin look right, but I can only set individual members times not the whole forum.
can anyone help please.

You can change this for your forum in your Admin Center. Hopefully it'll be the same or similar as the YaBB 2.4 version I use.

If so, go to Admin Center, then Forum Settings, and then scroll down to Select Forum Time Zone: to make your time adjustment.

Below that, you should be able to check the following: Enable automatic Daylight Saving Time change?

To make sure your forum's time is correct, you'll want to log out as the admin, and see what it looks like as a guest. Keep in mind that your forum's time zone will be based on where your server is even though you can set it to any time zone you wish.

At the top of our forum to help guests, we state "(Default: UTC/GMT -8 hours. Adjust in User CP.)"

I hope this helps.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:39am
Post Tools
All the setting are correct, even when logged out the forum time is correct, but some members have differnt times to the forum time.

This happend before on BST but gradually our members adjusted the time in the USER CP, of course now the time has changed again the same old chestnut has come up again.

I think I am just going to have to live with this one as it has me stumped at the moment Sad

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

malmklang2
Jr. Developer
Language Team

None
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:48am
Post Tools
Well, do like Bill, state somewhere that members can adjust their time settings. Unless you mean they get the wrong time regardless?

When running a forum, these things are always, hm, the admins are always at the members' mercy in terms of such things Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:53am by malmklang2 »  

if ($human) {die("Sorry, you lot have destroyed too much already")}
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:50am
Post Tools
trekwebmaster wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:39am:
I think I am just going to have to live with this one as it has me stumped at the moment Sad

This is what every admin goes through. All you can do is to have your forum's date and time correct. Each user has to make an adjustment according to their own time zone.

Think about it. Unless you live in England where this forum's server is located, each time you visit as a guest, the forum's time will be off. Otherwise, the only time it will be correct will be when you log in, and only if your own time setting has been adjusted accordingly.

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:57am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:53am
Post Tools
I have just left a post explaining to our members how to change the time in the "USER CP" that's about the best I can do for the time being.

thanks for the input.  Cool

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

malmklang2
Jr. Developer
Language Team

None
Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:54am
Post Tools
That's the best you can do, period, so, take a well-deserved rest Smiley

if ($human) {die("Sorry, you lot have destroyed too much already")}
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:56am
Post Tools
trekwebmaster wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:53am:
I have just left a post explaining to our members how to change the time in the "USER CP" that's about the best I can do for the time being.

thanks for the input.  Cool

Yep, and that's the way to do it.  Smiley

In our forum, for instance, we now have a special message that reads as follows:

Upcoming time changes based on the upcoming time change for Los Angeles, CA:

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM, fall back to 1:00 AM.

As a courtesy reminder, we also have this same message going live on our main site's menu with tomorrow's update.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:03am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools