Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Moving Forum On My Server (Read 1,021 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Moving Forum On My Server
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 4:38pm
Post Tools
Ah, we're making it more complicated than it needs to be (at least I am). Cheesy

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:17am
Post Tools
Quote:
I need to move my yabb install on my machine to a different absolute pathname but the URL and all relative paths should not change.

I read that as a change on the same machine.

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
So long as your new server has everything you need, picking up and moving a YaBB forum really is as easy as you describe - put the old one into maintenance mode, back it up, unpack it in the new location, check your Paths.pl and  permissions and take it out of Maintenance Mode. I did this twice in three days for two forums. (They had to be moved twice - long ugly story.) - the members barely knew anything had changed and the required time was literally the time it took for the download and upload.

You may have to clear your YaBB cookies in your browser as occasionally things may get a little confused with those when the forum's IP address changes.

Edited:
Xnoddyx answered while I was writing - The paths he pointed out are the one's to watch for - it's rare that home directory paths are exactly the same.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2012 at 5:49pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 5:46pm
Post Tools
ok if your forum paths are set up as

Code
Select All
$boarddir = ".";                                                      # The server path to the board's folder (usually can be left as '.')
$boardsdir = "./Boards";                                              # Directory with board data files
$datadir = "./Messages";                                              # Directory with messages
$memberdir = "./Members";                                             # Directory with member files
$sourcedir = "./Sources";                                             # Directory with YaBB source files
$admindir = "./Admin";                                                # Directory with YaBB admin source files
$vardir = "./Variables";                                              # Directory with variable files
$langdir = "./Languages";                                             # Directory with Language files and folders
$helpfile = "./Help";                                                 # Directory with Help files and folders
$templatesdir = "./Templates";                                        # Directory with template files and folders 

the only paths you will need to edit are

Code
Select All
$htmldir = "C:/xampp/www/yabbtest.test/site/yabbfiles2.4";  # Base Path for all public-html files and folders
$facesdir = "C:/xampp/www/yabbtest.test/site/yabbfiles2.4/avatars"; # Base Path for all avatar files
$uploaddir = "C:/xampp/www/yabbtest.test/site/yabbfiles2.4/Attachments"; # Base Path for all attachment files 

Hope this is of help to you   Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Griff Hamlin
YaBB Newcomer

Moving Forum On My Server
Nov 1st, 2012 at 4:39pm
Post Tools
I'm sorry if this is somewhere else and I could not find it. I need to move my yabb install on my machine to a different absolute pathname but the URL and all relative paths should not change.

If I'm seeing things correctly, all I should have to do is copy the files to the new location and make changes in Paths.pl. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help and excited to check out the new version.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top