Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Error Log Corrputed (Read 8,720 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Error Log Corrputed
Reply #44 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 1:02am
Post Tools
malmklang2 wrote on Nov 12th, 2012 at 12:46am:
If everything members and guest do are from within the forum domain, all should be well and peachy.

That makes sense. Okay ... so I turned our Activate Referral Security Checking? option back on.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

malmklang2
Jr. Developer
Language Team

None
Reply #43 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 12:46am
Post Tools
You are not restricting members or guests even, unless you have a login form or other stuff, on another domain altogether Smiley

If everything members and guest do are from within the forum domain, all should be well and peachy.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2012 at 12:47am by malmklang2 »  

if ($human) {die("Sorry, you lot have destroyed too much already")}
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #42 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 12:12am
Post Tools
Jkulin wrote on Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:48pm:
Those Japs are persistent aren't they, had to clear up another errorlog.txt file just now

I have now added the IP address to the ban list and see if that works!

Yep, me too, so I guess I spoke too soon. I just got back from the theatre, and found our errorlog.txt jammed up with another error. As such, I unchecked the Activate Referral Security Checking? option. No sense using it, and restricting legitimate users if this particular problem still exists.

Thankfully, however, what has helped is following these instructions here in this topic regarding The Guardian™ and using YaBB's Environment String Blocking ... kind of like banning IP addresses, but somewhat more effective.

Back to the drawing board. But at least YaBB makes it much easier to manage what appears to be spam-bots automating the registration process. At the present time it's really only a relatively minor irritation.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #41 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:48pm
Post Tools
Those Japs are persistent aren't they, had to clear up another errorlog.txt file just now

I have now added the IP address to the ban list and see if that works!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #40 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 6:05pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 11th, 2012 at 5:41pm:
Somebody pointed out one another thread - don't have time to look it up, but Google needs to access print. You'll also need to allow rss. The rest will depend on what errors pop up. It's better to start really strict and then loosen things up than the other way around.

Thanks again!  Smiley

Yes, I just noticed the rss option when I checked to allow sendtopic after seeing that was blocked.

I'll have to check more later on ... need to shave, shower, and get dressed to be ready to go out the door in 20 minutes. Otherwise, my wife will be checking the non-YaBB-related option to sendme somewhere I don't want to be going.
Even though we're in California, the dog house is cold outside today.  Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #39 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 5:41pm
Post Tools
Somebody pointed out one another thread - don't have time to look it up, but Google needs to access print. You'll also need to allow rss. The rest will depend on what errors pop up. It's better to start really strict and then loosen things up than the other way around.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #38 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 5:03pm
Post Tools
I wish I could clone YaBB's support staff; excellent support!
Dandello's advice/instructions seemed to have done the trick.  Smiley

I have noticed that some actions are being blocked from Google, which I welcome because it brings in traffic, but it seems that I can tweak YaBB's settings to allow what I want ... just have to get the hang of it.

Example:
Code
Select All
This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!
Action is: print
Your Domain: www.listed discreetly - just ask in private.com
Referer Domain: www.google.com

http://www. see above /cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=&action=print&num=1274810786 

So I checked the print box, and so on, and so forth.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #37 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 4:42pm
Post Tools
Definitely on the 'look into' list. Those entries are coming from someplace - luckily YaBB catches them before they can do anything to the forum itself, but having the garbage show up in in the error log is annoying at best. (Maybe an output filter with an 'open log as text file' function to look at the raw data? - just thinking out loud here.)

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #36 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 11:38am
Post Tools
JonB raises hand and says "I had one also".

Maybe we need a filter on the data write to the error log? perhaps an entry that says 'unprintable characters' and then writes the data to a textfile whose name might be error_log_extract-timestamp.txt???

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #35 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:35am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 10th, 2012 at 9:47pm:
My conclusion: someone is spoofing the registration and/or login forms.

The supposed way to deal with that is to make sure you have Referrer Security turned on. (Admin Center -> Security Settings.)

Then make sure in Referrer Settings you have the login and register boxes unchecked.

Spoofing, huh? That makes sense. No wonder.

I've never had Referrer Security turned on, but I have it on now. I made sure to uncheck the login and register boxes, too.
Hopefully this will do the trick. Smiley

IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #34 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 7:34am
Post Tools
Yep it seems like that might have done it, Register and Register 2 were checked, must have been the default settings.

I now get the lengthy url appearing in the error log, but you can now check the box and delete, which is fine.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #33 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 12:47am
Post Tools
We're all having this weird thing happening with the posts.

If the changing the Referrer security settings doesn't stop it I'm honestly not sure what else to do - I don't think the perps are putting the whole string inside the query string, otherwise the program wouldn't be looking for a .pre file. The length limits should stop strings that long from getting through at all, not to mention the string 'sanitizing' that goes on.

So I'm seriously scratching my head on this one. (Bill has had similar issues, I know.)

In the meantime, you really can hand-edit your error log. Most hosting services have a file manager utility - open the file and just delete the whole bad line (YaBB stores each error on its own line, so if you remove the whole line all the way to the line return, you should be good.)

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #32 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 12:01am
Post Tools
Jkulin wrote on Nov 10th, 2012 at 11:19pm:
Thanks Lads, (Weird I could have sworn I replied)

Activate Referrer Security Checking is checked and always was.

I have unchecked login and log-off in the referrer security, what does that do and will the general public see any difference?

i had the same prob with my last post
as to login and log-off in the referrer security they should've been unchecked and the same for login2, register, register2
what this is for is to stop Requests, Actions from outside your domain/url to YaBB can you check and see if login2, register, register2 are still unchecked

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #31 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 11:23pm
Post Tools
Sorry lads, just had to report a bug or something, I replied to this thread and it never appeared despite showing it as the last post, then did a full refresh and still nothing, so figuring I'm going round the bend, I posted again and sure enough my original message was there along with the new one.

Rather than have duplicates, I deleted the first message and now the second one didn't appear  Huh

I bet when I post this reply, that both will reappear again?

IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #30 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Post Tools
Thanks Lads, (Weird I could have sworn I replied)

Activate Referrer Security Checking is checked and always was.

I have unchecked login and log-off in the referrer security, what does that do and will the general public see any difference?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top