Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic How about your ideas for a "Best Practices" Guide for YaBB (Read 2,364 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
How about your ideas for a "Best Practices" Guide for YaBB
Nov 5th, 2012 at 5:33pm
Post Tools
Many of you are experienced Admins.

There are many things that are 'for sure, do this with YaBB'

I'll start with this one.

-------------------------------------------------------
Use the built-in YaBB Backup if possible.  It supports a variety of backup methods that will work on most servers.

Each works a tiny bit differently. The Tar methods are best suited to linux/Unix servers where you have shell access. The file ownerships and permissions can often be preserved if you have command line access.  The ZIP methods, as far as I know, don't offer this. 

Issues:

Very large backups can cause timeouts on servers. These may be beyond your ability to fix/or be host-only fixes. If you have a big Attachments folder, you may want to consider Periodic separate backups for it.

Although YaBB Backup does not currently supported automated backups, you can schedule a 'reminder' that will be visible to the Admin when logged in. The reminder is basically just like 'Maintenance Mode'.

If you really don't understand how you would restore incremental backups, stick to the Full Backup methods. This is particularly true if you download the backups.  Small forums can live on once-a-week full backups.  Larger ones need to consider incremental daily backups + a weekly Full backup.

Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------

OK - who is next ???

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: How about your ideas for a "Best Practices" Guide for YaBB
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Nov 5th, 2012 at 5:33pm:
Use the built-in YaBB Backup if possible.  It supports a variety of backup methods that will work on most servers.

I would advise against this, or at least use it only if you also perform regular local backups. Otherwise, if the YaBB backup is corrupted, which has been reported numerous times, you won't have a backup for your forum.

In addition to having a local backup, I would also recommend that you have at least one more local backup in case it's needed (or more).

Good luck, and have fun using your YaBB forum.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 7:12pm
Post Tools
A 'best practices' should include doing a full-backup (whether via YaBB backup or other software) at least once a month and incremental backups on a regular basis - the frequency determined by how busy the forum is.

As for corrupted backups - making sure the basic file maintenance has been done before hand helps - otherwise you're backing up corrupted data.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 7:28pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 5th, 2012 at 7:12pm:
As for corrupted backups - making sure the basic file maintenance has been done before hand helps - otherwise you're backing up corrupted data.

Good point. Even with the religious way I perform backups, maybe even because it's done so regularly, backing up a corrupted file can easily be done. I probably do it all the time, and don't even know it. Thankfully, I keep numerous backups in case a previous backup is needed.

I also think it's best to stay away from any kind of backup that needs to be decoded. Instead, backed up files as they are is much better; or so that's how I've always done it; kind of old fashioned that way.

My preference is to use WinSCP because it's so dependable. But a while ago Corey mentioned another way to back up files that seems to be just as good if not better ... not remembering that method now; sorry.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 8:37pm
Post Tools
Although my forum is not as big as other YaBB's, I do religiously use the built-in backup feature. Maybe I have just been lucky. So far, no problems with it.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 11:51pm
Post Tools
Nobody can really know if there's a problem with a backup until it's needed. Since I back up using straight files, I can and do test random files from time to time.

I remember checking a backup once to find that only folders had been backed up; not the files in them. Brilliant! Roll Eyes

With backups, rather than argue this versus that, if you think about it, with YaBB it would be prudent to use its backup option as well as another backup option. Better to have both than one or the other.

If we're talking "best practices" here, an admin should have at least 3 copies of their YaBB forum; the original and current one, YaBB's backup on the server, and at least one local backup.

Beyond our YaBB forum, each one of our websites has 3 copies in addition to the original and active one on the server; so a minimum of 4 altogether. There's a copy on a 2nd server, a local copy, and a copied local copy on an external drive. It helps to be a little paranoid about this stuff.

And do you know what? That doesn't necessarily mean I've got a good backup.  Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 12:18am
Post Tools
ok Best Practices for me with backups

NOTE: use ftp to make full backups and remember linux names test.txt is different to Test.txt
NOTE2: some hosts will have file viewing limits so make sure you have all files

1. never leave a copy of the backup on the host from a security point if you get hacked
it makes it so easy for them to make a phishing site up from this

2. keep a copy of backups on a flash drive and also on RDVD (RDVD lets you keep a backup archive) not just on your pc

3. if you're not the only owner get them to also make backups and get confirmation

4. if you run a big and busy website have a mirror hosting setup (not that many of us will ever need this)

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 12:30am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Nov 6th, 2012 at 12:18am:
1. never leave a copy of the backup on the host from a security point if you get hacked
it makes it so easy for them to make a phishing site up from this

Hmm. Never really put much thought into that. Besides several backups saved to 3 separate locations, I always leave a copy of the last 3 backups on the server.

Thanks for bringing this to light. Guess I have to change my ways. Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2012 at 12:32am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 12:41am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Nov 6th, 2012 at 12:30am:
Hmm. Never really put much thought into that. Besides several backups saved to 3 separate locations, I always leave a copy of the last 3 backups on the server.

Thanks for bringing this to light. Guess I have to change my ways. Smiley

i didn't either till it happend to a website i go on some time.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top