Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Load time (Read 8,793 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Load time
Reply #37 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 8:24pm
Post Tools
Carly Rose wrote on Jan 3rd, 2014 at 2:24pm:
I am wondering if the developers are ready to take Yabb to next level by introducing HTML5 soon? so we can see a precisely great forum application in the near future. Huh

Yabb's development is happening at Dandello's YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum. I believe she may be working on introducing HTML5 at some point if it isn't already happening.

Quote:
Our list is pretty good for the next iteration - HTML5, mobile support, UTF-8, starting to sorting things in preparation for an SQL version, the Admin Center... Grin

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Carly Rose
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #36 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 2:24pm
Post Tools
I am wondering if the developers are ready to take Yabb to next level by introducing HTML5 soon? so we can see a precisely great forum application in the near future. Huh

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #35 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Dec 7th, 2012 at 12:46pm:
My working theory is that we are dealing with 'bot-swarms'.  Their registration attempts/CAPTCHA guessing leave many copies of YaBB.pl waiting to 'time out'.

I think that's exactly what's going on. Our forum gets hit with 'bot-swarms' as well, but thankfully, our 2.4 version seems to run quite fast anyway.

At the present time we're getting around 500 error messages every 6-8 hours or so (we've set that number of entries before our error log rotates).

What pretty much always generates the errors are anti-spam measures. SpamFruits stops a lot of spam-bots, and so does ggn's anti-spam CAPTCHA hack. Actually, when I only used the latter, spam-bots were always stopped cold. It's just that I like how pretty SpamFruits look.

Hu-bots can easily defeat these anti-spam measures of course, but for some reason that very rarely ever happens (can't remember the last time we had a hu-bot). And now that we're back to using "Pre-registration with admin membership approval" again, hu-bots are unable to post anyway.

Now that I think about it aloud here ... I think after I post this, I'm going to go back to "Open registrations without approvals ... keeping my fingers crossed.

I should point out, too, that thanks to advice given in this forum about how to defeat another kind of spammer, I'm delighted to see the following error message (and similar ones like it):

Code
Select All
Your url contains words not allowed here! (ugg) 

Happily of course, legitimate registrations are still being processed without any problems (we use a very easy to read CAPTCHA).

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2012 at 5:15pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #34 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 12:46pm
Post Tools
My working theory is that we are dealing with 'bot-swarms'.  Their registration attempts/CAPTCHA guessing leave many copies of YaBB.pl waiting to 'time out'.

Just a guess, and I don't have SSH access to dig around.

Undecided

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #33 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 7:27pm
Post Tools
What I did notice with my large site was that if Linux released the cache back to the kernel (which it can for a variety of reasons), page loads can be dog slow for a while, as the cache rebuilds.

Added to the fact something else was after memory (hence kernel requested the cache ram back), it sent IOWait through the roof...  ...I used to get occasional Linux crashes at this point, as YaBB processes start to back up, each needing RAM, making the situation exponentially worse, until all RAM and swap is gone.

Admittedly I had a couple of hundred thousand files in Messages, and a good 50,000 in Members - thats a lot to ask any OS to manage efficiently.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #32 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 4:22pm
Post Tools
Appeared to be a bit slow today, cleared cookies etc. Released / renewed IP, flushed DNS
@16.22 took approx 20 secs to login.

Maybe worth watching  Smiley

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #31 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 11:03pm
Post Tools
NOW - I'm thinking it was a function of our later-in-the-day server problem.

ah well - thinking is a good exercise -

Grin

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #30 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 2:51am
Post Tools
I just experienced one of those 20+ second loads

Local time 2145 UTC-5, server time is 0248 -

Which brings to mind that server time is again slipping.

Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2012 at 2:52am by JonB »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #29 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 11:41pm
Post Tools
just now i am back to 3-5 not the 20+ i was getting for the past week or so but if it happens agen i will get all the info i can and post it here.

JonB wrote on Nov 14th, 2012 at 8:36pm:
If you have a 'slooooow load', please go to this Topic and note 'roughly how long' to load and the both UTC time it happened & what your local time was.  I think we will find a pattern If you have a good load, also please note the UTC time.

my local time and UTC are the same as my time zone is (UTC/GMT) Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #28 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 8:36pm
Post Tools
OK -

Here's the deal - personally, I have rarely had the issue you describe. 

I have listened carefully and thought about this.  I also did my own (albeit limited) testing. It looks like the average load time for a Staff user (lots to build for YaBB) runs around 3-5 seconds (acceptable) and the Guest load runs 2-4 seconds (very acceptable).  The fact it loads OK for me almost always says - not a bug.  Everyone gets the same code, so it has to be one of a limited number of things.

A. General Traffic load related - those in the UK may be on primarily when the server farm is most loaded.

B. Specific node related - even though we have a VPS, it is sitting in a containerized physical server co-residing with other VPS's - we might be sitting on the same node as a UK based e-commerce site for instance.

C. Traffic shaping/routing related.  If all our problem loads are geographically close - could be a routing/BGP/Circuit issue.  Unless you do a circuit/peering analysis, there no way to understand likely causes in this area.

D. Server Backup related. According to our host, the whole server is being 'tarred' up daily. IF its a 'plain tar' (uncompressed) that's a four hour job, if that was poorly timed - it could be the cause.

Speaking as a systems engineer, I'm betting on 'its time related' in some fashion.

If you have a 'slooooow load', please go to this Topic and note 'roughly how long' to load and the both UTC time it happened & what your local time was.  I think we will find a pattern

If you have a good load, also please note the UTC time.

SOOOOOOO - as we know there is nothing wrong with the code, and this is mostly a 'lets see' issue I am going to move it to ServerSide. (where the truly geeky go)

Thanks to everyone -
Cool

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #27 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 10:47am
Post Tools
ok just whent to do this and my load time has been ok see pic but luckily i made one last night as well  Wink in the pic this has been 20s+ you can see this in Load_Data_yabbforum.com_wc_OLD.xml the one for the pic is Load_Data_yabbforum.com_wc.xml find them in the zip but will start this if the long load time starts agen that i hope won't Smiley .

load_data.zip ( 513 KB | 67 Downloads )
screentime.jpg ( 717 KB | 76 Downloads )
screentime.jpg

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #26 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 8:55pm
Post Tools
Thank you -

Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #25 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 8:05pm
Post Tools
ok i will get the ifo for you  Smiley but will probably be tomorrow.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #24 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 3:26pm
Post Tools
Before we get off on any wild goose chases, I need documented facts.

Id Est:

How long, with a cleared cache, logged out (no cookie) YaBBforum.com does it take to load the 'Front Page'?  IN seconds. measured, not guessed.

Then repeat experiment with cache cleared, but a cookie set before entering.

Finally - enter the forum with the cache intact and and a cookie set.

Please test on IE8/9, Google, and Latest FF (what would that be 267.18?)

Also please give your rough bandwidth speed down/up.

I appear to not be suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (or perhaps I am more patient).

Thanks
Cool

IP Logged

malmklang2
Jr. Developer
Language Team

None
Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 9:44am
Post Tools
I vote not to (as if I have a say!!). I say, we send in Dolph and Stallone with some nukes and big guns, threaten the bits and bytes to get a move on or face doom!!!!

if ($human) {die("Sorry, you lot have destroyed too much already")}
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top