YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Email Notifications (Read 928 times)
 Nov 9th, 2012 at 5:02pm
There are no actions to perform.  

Martin.W 
UK

None
Email Notifications
some of my users have said email notifications do not work, and this appears to be because it is not enabled in their individual profiles.

Is there a way to force all new registered members to have this enabled as standard?

Thanks.

IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 5:35pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Re: Email Notifications
Martin.W wrote on Nov 9th, 2012 at 5:02pm:
some of my users have said email notifications do not work, and this appears to be because it is not enabled in their individual profiles.

Is there a way to force all new registered members to have this enabled as standard?

Thanks.

no sorry as this will be Unsolicited Email = Spam!  This is why YaBB requires the user/member to manually enable email notification if it is what they want but in saying that you can see this post here http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1312817509/6#6
and this will help you.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 10:03am

Martin.W 
UK

None
Thanks.

I only want it enabled in the profile (easy fix, thanks), and not the check button checked as default, so I don't take it to be unsolicited email personally?  They tick the notify box, they want an email sent.

I have had a couple members recently comment saying "sorry I took so long to reply, I wasn't notified of replies to this post".

Thanks!

IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 10:22am

malmklang2 
Jr. Developer
Language Team
Norway

YaBB 2.5
Have it enabled in the profile by default? Then it's the same as having the checkbox checked by default, and back to the same problem, capsulated in the laws of unwanted e-mail.....

But I guess if you make the call, and do want this, for your forum, no one can stop you, nor should they, I guess. If you are willing to take the heat, should the heat arrive, that is, when someone comes knocking and complains about getting a bunch of unwanted e-mails Smiley

A tiny modification is all it takes for this to be checked by default.

Edited:
Oh, didn't read carefully enough... they select to be notified, THEN e-mail notification gets checked? Yeah, no, that's slightly better, but a slightly bigger modification Tongue
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2012 at 10:25am by malmklang2 »  
if ($human) {die("Sorry, you lot have destroyed too much already")}
WWW frost-bite-me m4lmkl4ng  
IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 2:00pm

Martin.W 
UK

None
I have altered it as below:

If you have the email notifications TURNED OFF in your profile, if you then click the check box for notifications on the post screen, a hidden div will appear below the check box informing you that you have not enabled email notifications (not a popup, just a line of text appearing).

I have also included a link you can click which uses Ajax to enable the email notifications in your profile automatically.

I think this suits all round.

IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 9:19pm

malmklang2 
Jr. Developer
Language Team
Norway

YaBB 2.5
Wow, and here I thought you needed help modding stuff. Seems you've done a great job getting where you wanted to be with this thing, kudos Smiley

if ($human) {die("Sorry, you lot have destroyed too much already")}
WWW frost-bite-me m4lmkl4ng  
IP Logged  
 Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 5:10pm

Martin.W 
UK

None
I was looking here to make sure there wasn't an obvious setting somewhere which I had missed.  I have done that before!  Modded something only to find a tick box somewhere that would have done what I wanted!  Jumping the gun!

I like doing some tinkering and tweaking.  I broke my teeth with Perl on my older Y1.4 forum.

I would like to upgrade to the latest YaBB, but have done so many tweaks to my current board, I am reluctant to do so at the minute!

Thanks for the input, I am happy with the red warning appearing to make it obvious emails will not be sent unless they have this set in their profiles.

Cheers.

IP Logged  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.