Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need help with sendmail (Read 6,389 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Need help with sendmail
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 6:07am
Post Tools
We wanted to make sure you had exhausted all possibilities. Occasionally a hosting service simply has configuration issues and/or security protocols in place that simply cannot be easily handled. At a wild guess, I say that's probably what's happening in your case. If you'd like someone to actually look at your YaBB settings, Xnoddyx  is very good at that - send him a PM.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 3:34am
Post Tools
Bill Myers ... You've given all the help you could and I'm very grateful. When I think about it, it's not that bad because I can still approve memberships in the Admin Center even though automated registration emails are not being sent.

Dandello ... Except for the YaBB internal engine, I tried the other options but maybe it's not working due to my lack of knowledge. In an ideal world, I just want to use the standard sendmail which my host have struggled to help permamently fix, but their service is generally excellent.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 3:18am
Post Tools
The thread in the link doesn't tell us if the possible smtp possibilities were tested.

YaBB's own smtp server comes automatically with YaBB. I know the 2.5AE version works and assume the 2.4 version does as well. (Of course, that doesn't mean it will work on the hosting service the OP is having sendmail troubles with.)
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2012 at 3:21am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

malmklang2
Jr. Developer
Language Team

None
Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 1:35am
Post Tools
But it is not for the lack of trying. Unfortunately the thread starter doesn't confirm if all advices were followed and failed or if hands-on help on the actual forum or server is required.

As Dandello said, there are several options within YaBB to use different modules for e-mailing, other than sendmail. If all these fail to be of usage, i.e. not being present for YaBB to use, maybe the host would be willing to install them, as the thread starter mentioned that they were more than willing to be of quick assistance.

And then there's YaBB internal engine, like Dandello more specifically mentioned Smiley

Edited:
Ok, I didn't see the link mentioned in one of the earlier posts in this thread until now, guess Dandello didn't either, but it still is a bit unclear what, if any, error messages using these other options for sending e-mail are producing and/or if they are even installed on the server.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2012 at 1:46am by malmklang2 »  

if ($human) {die("Sorry, you lot have destroyed too much already")}
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 1:14am
Post Tools
Miss Emily wrote on Nov 12th, 2012 at 12:42am:
I've given up and have to go with the last resort, which is to approve memberships in the Admin Center manually, then email the new member to confirm that they are registered.

I really appreciate all of your help.

I have to say, I'm really bummed about this. I surely thought someone here would be able to actually help you.

I wish, too, that your host could keep their sendmail program alive.  Sad

If it's any consolation, as you now already know in our own forum, people using AOL or Yahoo are unable to get our automated registration emails anyway. So as I think I mentioned elsewhere, I simply have a notice about this, including an email address to contact me directly as needed.

But it's not that bad in our forum because I've set up the registration process to allow each person to choose their own password. That way, as I explain it to them online, I'll approve their registration in a timely fashion, and they'll be good to go without me having to email them about it.

Sorry you had this happen to you, and again, I wish someone here could have helped.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 12:42am
Post Tools
I've given up and have to go with the last resort, which is to approve memberships in the Admin Center manually, then email the new member to confirm that they are registered.

I really appreciate all of your help.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Post Tools
Also YaBB does come with its own smtp program and normally has access to two other smtp modules. See: (Admin Center -> Advanced Settings -> Email )

You might try that.  Wink

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 11:50am
Post Tools
You can setup google apps to work with a domain name.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 5:21am
Post Tools
xnoddyx ... I'm happy with my current host, it's just that their sendmail program is causing problems. I've asked them to fix the problem on many occasions, they've been quick to help, but then the problem occurs again, so it's an ongoing problem.

JonB ... My email address associated with my domain and regular email service is working fine, can you please provide information about how to switch to an SMTP server?

The problem is that all mails are not delivered to any email account, sendmail just isn't working. Maybe you're right that if too many emails are reaching the spam folder, it might be giving a red flag and sendmail stops functioning.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 2:09am
Post Tools
OK - I will take a run at this -

A. You pretty much can't use 'sendmail' on another server. The reasons are close to what xnoddyx has described (hosts would not want you to) - but the reason is quite straightforward. 'sendmail' on Linx/Unix or 'fake sendmail' on Windows are local processes (excutables) - only processes running on the same server can access them.

B. Here is the good news - You can use a' foreign 'SMTP server'. 

If it is essential that your server e-mail be addressed from the same domain name (that improves deliverability)  i.e. form 'webmaster' or 'admin'@yourdomain.com, then even if your host is still providing regular mail services, you can have a second mailserver - you will need to make an addition to your DNS records.

If it is not essential that the e-mail address matches the domain, just about any e-mail service that offers an SMTP server will work.

I read your thread, and Bill basically gave you the right ticket, switch to an SMTP server. You might even be able to use your hosting companies SMTP server instead of 'sendmail'.

If the real problem is that 'not all the mail gets delivered' particularly to addresses on Yahoo, Hotmail or gmail it may actually be due using sendmail. Mail is 'scored' by mailforwarders by reading the SMTP header and using an algorithm to 'guess' if it is SPAM.  a message sent by 'sendmail' receives a score based on the 'spamminess' of the sending domain the IP is primarily assigned to. (i.e. your host)

Have you tried to analyze what the undelivered mail has in common?

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 12:30am
Post Tools
ok you say you are having issues with sendmail have you asked your host if they are having problems with this or is this self hosted i.e. at home

Quote:
I don't want to move my forum because it's too complex,

if you do want to move hosts i may be of some help if you need.

Miss Emily wrote on Nov 10th, 2012 at 11:20pm:
and I want to run sendmail from another server.

you can but this is more complex than it sounds then there is the question of security or lack of and for most hosts they won't let you set it up

but i will wait for your reply and see where we go from here to help you  Smiley.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Miss Emily

Need help with sendmail
Nov 10th, 2012 at 11:20pm
Post Tools
Hello, I need some help in relation to sendmail. Are there any tech guru's here with this knowledge?

To make a long story short, the sendmail program on my server is not working, and I want to run sendmail from another server.

Please read about my problem here:
http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1352545229

Thank you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top