Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
 25 Need help with sendmail (Read 5,858 times)
Miss Emily

Re: Need help with sendmail
Reply #41 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 8:02pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx ... Thank you for your help. I see those messages in the error log, and also "Username / Password mismatch."

Dandello ... I think it should be okay for now. The spammers can keep registering but they can't get past Admin approval, so at the end of the day the forum is still free of spam.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #40 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Post Tools
Try adding the StopForumSpan mod. It checks against their database - downside, there are some IPs there that don't belong - upside, it does catch a lot of spammer IPs.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #39 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 11:43am
Post Tools
Miss Emily wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 4:56am:
I'm still getting the spam signups by following your instructions.

you will still get spam signups as this will only help to curve some of them what you will see is in your error log as well as "You failed the fruit check!" you will also now see "Proxy Access to this forum is denied!"

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #38 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 4:56am
Post Tools
I'm still getting the spam signups by following your instructions.

They are not registered because they need admin approval, but they are just an annoyance. I guess I have to put up with it.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #37 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 11:08pm
Post Tools
Miss Emily wrote on Nov 14th, 2012 at 6:10pm:
xnoddyx ... Thank you, I will try your advice but I hope these changes won't block legitimate members of registering.

Different email and IP addresses are used to register, so can the changes you suggested detect between a legitimate registration and a spam registration?

The harvester agent strings are already listed in The Guardian, unless there are some extra strings in your attachment that is not already on there.

Dandello ... Yes it can be annoying and time-consuming to go through the new registrations and delete the spam registrations.

Hi Miss Emily

Activate Referrer Security what this is for it is to stop Requests, Actions from outside your domain/url to YaBB this will not affect legitimate members

if you have the default 2.5AE harvester agent strings this list will add EC2LinkFinder to it.
Harvester Blocking this will not affect legitimate members see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_scraping and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address_harvesting

Proxy Blocking ok why i say turn this on is that most of the hubots i have seen come from anonymous proxies you can have a look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server and decide if you do want this on or even test it for a couple of days just to see

Scripting Blocking this will not affect legitimate members.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #36 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers ... I already have a similar message in the User Agreement area, but thank you for the advice.

Yes it's impossible with guest posting these days. Sometimes I visit other forums and I want to have an input but I couldn't be bothered going through the registration process so I end up leaving. Web surfers visiting my forum may be doing the same thing.

xnoddyx ... The new security settings doesn't appear to be working, still spam registrations. Maybe I'll try to increase the number of CAPTCHA and see if that helps.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #35 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 7:31pm
Post Tools
Miss Emily wrote on Nov 14th, 2012 at 6:10pm:
... I hope these changes won't block legitimate members of registering.

I miss the days of having no restrictions in our forum when we allowed guest posting without requiring a membership. In large part, spammers ruined that freedom.

Our forum is truly worldwide, so participation pretty much comes from every part of the world. So particularly with us, there are times when people who want to register are unable to do so because of what amounts to our necessary, but nonetheless discriminatory anti-spam measures.

What's helped in our forum has been to include at the top of our required "User Agreement" the following message (obviously edited):

Note: If you have any problems registering in our forum, please contact Miss Emily
at MyEmail@MyDomain.com so that your registration can be activated. Thank you.

I actually highlighted the message above to make it stand out in our forum.

Ironically, with one of the two instances where our own forum's special message similar to the one above shows up in Google's search engine, an error message is presented because of our security settings. But that's actually okay since menu options in our forum also show up. No biggie.

On a related note regarding anyone with a "sendmail" problem, even though I noticed this was implemented because of spammers, I've seen admins replace the standard "Register" tab with one of their own that explains in succinct detail how to register.

In other words, such a forum's "Register" tab links to a post in that forum explaining it all.

Pretty ingenious if you ask me. If there's a will, there's a way. Smiley

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2012 at 7:34pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #34 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 6:10pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx ... Thank you, I will try your advice but I hope these changes won't block legitimate members of registering.

Different email and IP addresses are used to register, so can the changes you suggested detect between a legitimate registration and a spam registration?

The harvester agent strings are already listed in The Guardian, unless there are some extra strings in your attachment that is not already on there.

Dandello ... Yes it can be annoying and time-consuming to go through the new registrations and delete the spam registrations.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #33 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
Miss Emily wrote on Nov 14th, 2012 at 4:06am:
I don't approve the spam registrations and they still continue to signup.

Follow xnodyxx's advice for upping security and remember, if you don't approve them, then they are just annoying registrations and they aren't doing you any damage - aside from annoying you.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #32 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 9:44am
Post Tools
Ok lets try to stop some of them download this http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?action=downloadfile;file=Harvester_Bl...
you add the items from here to Harvester Blocking

now to referrer security goto admin center > Security Settings and check Activate Referrer Security Checking save now goto
Referrer Security and that login, log-off, login2, register, register2 are unchecked and save

next The Guardian™
goto The Guardian™ Proxy Blocking here check Deny access through proxy servers? and that
Do you want an email notification on any detected attempts?, Auto add abusing IP addresses to .htaccess? are unchecked

now Harvester Blocking
here check Activate harvester blocking? and that Do you want an email notification on any detected attempts?, Auto add abusing IP addresses to .htaccess? are unchecked

now open Harvester_Blocking_List.txt and copy all items you do not have in your list for forums that have not made any edits here
just select all and copy now in the Harvester Blocking window on the forum select all and paste

now Scripting Blocking
here check Activate scripting blocking? and that
Do you want an email notification on any detected attempts?, Auto add abusing IP addresses to .htaccess? are unchecked

now save

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #31 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 4:06am
Post Tools
The fruit thing was working for a while, but now they've found their way past both the CAPTCHA and fruit.

I've set new registrations to Admin approval. I can still manage to authorise new registrations without sendmail working.

I don't approve the spam registrations and they still continue to signup.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #30 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 2:18am
Post Tools
The problem with hubots (humans acting as spambots), is that they're always changing IP addresses and email addresses - so it's very difficult to make a preemptive ban on them.

Without having sendmail working, you can't have email confirmation and admin authorization. You might try adding Derek Barnstorm's anti-spam Question with niche specific questions. Also the x-post before links mod.

IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #29 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 10:00pm
Post Tools
It's not working and I have thrown in the towel but I really appreciate your kind help. Just have to let the web host fix sendmail and hopefully one day it will stay fixed.

Can you, or any experts please help shed some light into where the spam registrations below come from, whether they are the work of humans or programs. Maybe this is overwhelming their sendmail server, and the reason for it to stop working. I use both the CAPTCHA and fruit selection, and I still get many of these, but these are just some sample registrations. Also how can I stop them.

User ID, email and IP address:

ReneNbf, smitaxiuza@hotmail.com, 199.15.234.82
BennieFjz, wilber83@mailbeens.net, 99.110.131.36
RoygxQdl, mikr17omanome13tr@centrum.cz, 37.157.192.125
MaxieNdz, wspo10l6grany@centrum.cz, 37.157.192.125
PenniXF, andrzej.mo34@onet.eu, 201.187.107.19
Brock14, info@twitboobs.org, 216.231.136.242

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #28 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 8:58am
Post Tools
Miss Emily wrote on Nov 13th, 2012 at 12:08am:
Is this SMTP email feature all dependent on Gmail,

not all just this

Miss Emily wrote on Nov 12th, 2012 at 9:02pm:
My Gmail POP Download is set to the following:1. Status: POP is enabled for all mail that has arrived since 12:00pm

Miss Emily wrote on Nov 13th, 2012 at 12:08am:
The reason being is their server may be having problems with this too.

ok for your host to have problems with this and sendmail can only really mean three to four things and not one of them being good.
ok can you try setting yabb to

Send emails using: YaBB SMTP Engine

SMTP-Server: smtp.gmail.com if this dont work try smtp.gmail.com:465

Select SMTP Server Authorization Type: AUTO or try LOGIN or PLAIN if AUTO dont work

SMTP Authorization Username: username@gmail.com)
SMTP Authorization Password: your Gmail password

and see if this will work  Smiley

Edited:
Miss Emily wrote on Nov 13th, 2012 at 8:32am:
xnoddyx ... Thank you for your help in this matter.

it's cool and hope we can get you up and running soon  Wink

depablo wrote on Nov 13th, 2012 at 7:46am:
Miracles we can do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Some hosts try hard but their systems are just not up to it, keep trying with xnoddys help  Cool

i hear you on that and some hosts just take the proverbial  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2012 at 9:02am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #27 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 8:32am
Post Tools
xnoddyx ... Thank you for your help in this matter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top