Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is hostgator trying to get rid of me (Read 1,363 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Is hostgator trying to get rid of me
Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:47pm
Post Tools
Knownhost (from my own account):
  CPU
   Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2350

Speed
       2000.083 MHz

Cache
       512 KB

I have eight websites on the VPS2 plan, a total of 8 YaBB forums (all but 2 are testbeds for various iterations of YaBB) and my son uses space on the server to transfer large files to his colleagues at Uni.  Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:48pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 5:04pm
Post Tools
i have used x10Hosting free hosting before and it was good so i expected that there VPS will be top notch there main website is http://x10hosting.com/ and for there VPS http://x10vps.com/plans and there forum for VPS http://x10hosting.com/forums/vps-talk/

hope this is of some help to you  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 11:57pm
Post Tools
X10 looks very cheap, but it is 'unmanaged'. I am learning as I go with all this, and I am not familiar with linux etc, so I suspect I need a managed solution. That being said, I seem to be hitting the limits of what hostgator can help me with. They referred me to Munin for example to send alerts for CPU usage, but left me to my own devices to set up the limits.

Founding member of . I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #18 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:49am
Post Tools
Knownhost is managed - but it's not as cheap as the unmanaged ones. (But tech support is quite good - even when it's a user fubar.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 10:02am
Post Tools
I have used, with some success, Dreamhost's shared service. I would expect their VPS and Dedicated to be equally up to scratch.

They have suffered core router problems in the distant past though.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:00pm
Post Tools
freediver wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 11:57pm:
X10 looks very cheap, but it is 'unmanaged'

x10hosting has managed VPS or it did at one time but you had to ask them for it also they can take your server hardware and add it to there data centre if you have your own server hardware or did that last time i used them

but as to running a big and busy YaBB forum on servers The Boy is the one to ask  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:00pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #21 - Jun 1st, 2013 at 8:22pm
Post Tools
OzPolitic,

You should tell Hostgator that if they do not release your forum that you will move everything to another hosting site, demand a refund for lack of service and tell your friends to do the same, especially since you are a member of this board and can influence hundreds of YaBB Forum Owners to do the same (theoretically).

Furthermore you need to point out to them that it is not your responsibility if some idiot is trying to hack into your board, but it is theirs for not blocking IPs causing suspicious activities.

I have been a HostGator member since the late 1990s, and have little to no problems with them over the many years. There has been times where their servers act funny and I cant upload content to my site(s), but that only last for a day or so.

I do get stupid idiots trying to hack into my YaBB Site but I do a weekly to months IP Blocking UPDates, and add IPs that tries to register but failed in finishing the registration. I also have banned entire questionable sites when I see a certain email server on the list.

Good luck to you and this situation. I hope it resolves in a positive light.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2013 at 8:24pm by Elfen »  

IP Logged

zaza
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #22 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 10:43am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 11:43pm:
Unlimited is basically a scam.

Exactly! Unfortunately it has become the standard in th industry to write it, you will find it on any hosting website. Be darned the first who did this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools