Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Is it possible to ban one person from viewing my public forum? (Read 760 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Is it possible to ban one person from viewing my public forum?
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 7:15am
Post Tools
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 6:54pm
Post Tools
DeborahW wrote on Dec 4th, 2012 at 5:30pm:
Thank you. I knew I could ban her from posting that way, but wasn't sure about viewing. So, that answer my question. I appreciate it! Since she is a forum member, I do have about 3 or 4 IP addresses that she uses listed on her profile. It had already occurred to me that she could get around my attempts by just using a different computer...but maybe she won't think of it! LOL

Thanks again!

sorry i cant be of more help but the easiest way to to stop her from looking is to make it a partial private froum by this i mean have say 3 open boards and then make the rest of your forum private to trusted members this will be members with xx amount of posts or member groups.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

DeborahW
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 5:30pm
Post Tools
Thank you. I knew I could ban her from posting that way, but wasn't sure about viewing. So, that answer my question. I appreciate it! Since she is a forum member, I do have about 3 or 4 IP addresses that she uses listed on her profile. It had already occurred to me that she could get around my attempts by just using a different computer...but maybe she won't think of it! LOL

Thanks again!

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 4:38pm
Post Tools
DeborahW wrote on Dec 4th, 2012 at 4:25pm:
I run a medical support forum (version 2.3.1), and have had problems with a member who is an optometrist passing herself off as an MD and giving out possibly dangerous advice. The only thing she has done on my forum (of which she is a member) is to advertise her blog/website. I removed her link from my forum, and warned her it was not allowed. She has told me that she reads my website for information and basically she then blogs about these topics. I don't care about that, but she is basically a fraud and does a disservice to these sick people...all while offering them answers if they purchase her info while leading them astray.

I could just ban her from posting on my forum, but I would really like to not allow her to even view what my members are saying. I keep the forum public because it helps patients worldwide. The only reason to be a forum member is if they wish to post.

It is possible to both ban this person and prevent her from viewing our forum posts?

Thanks!
Deborah

if she looks at your website from one ip address then you can just ban that ip from the forum.

hope this is of help to you.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

DeborahW
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Is it possible to ban one person from viewing my public forum?
Dec 4th, 2012 at 4:25pm
Post Tools
I run a medical support forum (version 2.3.1), and have had problems with a member who is an optometrist passing herself off as an MD and giving out possibly dangerous advice. The only thing she has done on my forum (of which she is a member) is to advertise her blog/website. I removed her link from my forum, and warned her it was not allowed. She has told me that she reads my website for information and basically she then blogs about these topics. I don't care about that, but she is basically a fraud and does a disservice to these sick people...all while offering them answers if they purchase her info while leading them astray.

I could just ban her from posting on my forum, but I would really like to not allow her to even view what my members are saying. I keep the forum public because it helps patients worldwide. The only reason to be a forum member is if they wish to post.

It is possible to both ban this person and prevent her from viewing our forum posts?

Thanks!
Deborah

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top