Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) enable spamfruits in YaBB 2.5.2 (Read 2,835 times)
freediver

enable spamfruits in YaBB 2.5.2
Dec 5th, 2012 at 4:39am
Post Tools
I can't figure out how to turn SpamFruits on in YaBB 2.5.2. Is this supposed to be a standard feature now? Where is the tickbox for it?

Founding member of . I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: enable spamfruits in YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 5:19am
Post Tools
Admin Center -> Security Center -> Anti-spam Settings. Both the honey pot and SpamFruits have check boxes.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 8:31am
Post Tools
Thanks. I must have read straight past that three times today.

Founding member of . I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 3:08pm
Post Tools
Hey, the Admin Center is not the easiest place to find things - even I lose things there.  Wink 

There are lots of behind-the-scenes discussions going on on how to make it more user friendly. (Or even just more logical.)

Of course, if we did that, people could actually find things and wouldn't be hanging around here.   Wink Grin

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 5:43pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Dec 5th, 2012 at 3:08pm:
Hey, the Admin Center is not the easiest place to find things - even I lose things there.  Wink

I think YaBB's Admin Center is far easier to navigate and use than what's offered in other forums; one in particular that I've tested, which actually forked over from YaBB many years ago, and now has many bells and whistles to it.

In fairness, I've been using YaBB since 2002, so maybe I'm just used to it. Still, it's a great piece of forum software, so I hope with changes that come to be, it will basically be the same. I'm of the opinion that it's generally better to stick with what's good, and make sensible updates as needed or desired than it is to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

On a related note, I'm looking forward to this forum once again using a stable version of YaBB that actually works as it should, i.e., forum topic links that go where they should, etc. That way, when people come here, YaBB can showcase to the world how great this forum software actually is.

Obvious to me at least, I think pushing YaBB's Next Edition here was a mistake, particularly when it's been operating below par for a very long time. At least a bit over a year now, right? I have to wonder how long this will be tolerated. There doesn't seem to be any move at all to do anything about it, which defies explanation.

Thankfully on a good note, YaBB's current staffers have otherwise really come into their own in terms of getting back to the basics regarding support, and working together to come up with a next edition of YaBB that will truly be worthy of showcasing.

I'm looking forward to it!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:07pm
Post Tools
I certainly agree that as compared to other admin control panels, YaBB's is pretty good. But it can still use some tweaking.

As the fixing things here - We do know what the problems are and hopefully, within a short time frame, at least the bugs will be taken care of. (We're all volunteers here and sometimes RL attacks with a vengeance.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:07pm:
(We're all volunteers here and sometimes RL attacks with a vengeance.)

I can empathize with that, which is a big reason that YaBB's Next Edition should have been put on hold versus publishing it as a showcase for how YaBB works.

But that was then, and this is now. The big question I suppose is, will another year go by before YaBB fixes their known problems? I hope not.

YaBB lost its luster a couple of years ago for a number of reasons, so I'm looking forward to seeing it shine again.

In the future, and again because of real life interruptions, hopefully YaBB's staffers will take more care about implementing changes and updates before they're truly ready.

As one forum reviewer more or less stated about another forum's software after they hadn't updated their software for a long while (I'm paraphrasing), 'I give the forum high marks for not rushing out with a new version like others carelessly do.'

The reviewer went on to explain how it's much better to stick with a stable version than it is to push out newer versions when they aren't really ready for the public to use.
On a related note, my hat goes off to all of you who testbed updated versions of YaBB.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:28pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 10:33pm
Post Tools
Bill - just so you know -

A. We are at work on a new version that 'may' replace what we are running here.  It has to be 100% data compatible to do that.  That is the next item in the Roadmap -  YaBB 2.5.4 - with subforums/subboards.   Much of that 'replacement' decision will driven by 'look and feel' & functionality UI issues. In fact, we actually have to have a nomenclature decision on that issue - due to 'another' thing we are working on (unannounced and still in planning).

B. Two of us are working on 'fixing' YabbFourm.com (I am one of them - you can guess who the other is).  We have to do 'bolt-on' fixes and that's a lot like customizing cars - you have to tear stuff out to make room for the new 'cool' stuff.  In order to do that, we have a copy of the current 'custom' (not in any SVN branch) code we are running here.  We are only going to 'patch' this server/forum, as it contains code that is now dead-ended. It will get replaced with one of the next two planned releases; 2.5.4 or 2.6.

C. What we are currently working on (coding-wise) is evidenced by Dandello's query on 'Does anyone use this?'

D. You are always welcome to help out.  We will be needing beta testers again soon, or you can chip in for a nice YaBB corporate jet if you want (or a 'Yabber cruise' - we could all use one of those) ... the Holidays are coming you know.  Cheesy

There is some very new, very different 'thinking through' going on right now. This is in addition to our currently roadmapped features. I have discussed these ideas with Corey and Dandello in the last week and we are seeing what is 'doable' for the next release.  The 'new thinking' is 'off roadmap' or 'out-of-the-box' if you prefer.  So the roadmaps are still valid, some of the pathways may be simplified/clarified in this process.

OTAY???

Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2012 at 10:39pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 11:16pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Dec 6th, 2012 at 10:33pm:
D. You are always welcome to help out.  We will be needing beta testers again soon,

@Bill Myers the link is here http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb254/YaBB.pl come on help make yabb better you know you want to  Wink come on help Squish some bugs and find some new ones to Squish as well  Grin but remember all work here just now is alpha and not beta  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 11:40pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Dec 6th, 2012 at 10:33pm:
There is some very new, very different 'thinking through' going on right now. This is in addition to our currently roadmapped features.

Thank you for the update. I think you and your team have been doing a great job for a while now, so it's very much appreciated.

I'm particularly grateful to have you at the helm because you kept YaBB together when things didn't look so great. It's been inspriational and encouraging to watch you and YaBB's team tighten things up, and get this very deserving open source project back on the road to a real future.

At a point when things get back to normal, and I don't think there should be a rush to do this, I have a couple of suggestions.

1. This showcase forum should always operate with a stable version of YaBB that works as it should, i.e., workable navigation links, etc. That way, people coming here can see for themselves how well YaBB really works.

2. Whenever anyone has a question about how to manage hu-bots or spam-bots, it would be great to have one link referencing a comprehensive post that explains it all (updating it as needed).

Specifically, that post could point people to this forum's registration page to showcase the anti-spam measures that are in place to defeat spammers. As of this date, people might see the Anti-Spam Question and SpamFruits mods in action (available through the Admin Center).

Additionally, maybe in this same comprehensive post people can read about other mods such as the Minimum Registration Time mod. Preferably, that kind of mod could be activated in the Admin Center.

I guess I more or less described what might be YaBB's Q&A page. Just thinking aloud ...  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 11:47pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 6th, 2012 at 11:16pm:
@Bill Myers the link is here http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb254/YaBB.pl ...

Whoops ... didn't mean to double-post ... didn't see this in time.

Thanks. I'm aware of Dandello's testbed. I think she's doing an amazing job! I'm glad she's on YaBB's team. Unfortunately, I'm not welcomed over there, but it's a nice thought anyway.

Meanwhile, I'm also very grateful to you, and YaBB's other team members as well. I've been really jazzed about all of the good work everyone has been doing; very inspirational.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 12:07am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 6th, 2012 at 11:47pm:
Unfortunately, I'm not welcomed over there, but it's a nice thought anyway.

Who said you weren't welcome? If you got rejected, try again. You may have been mistaken for a French body suit sales person.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 12:28am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Dec 7th, 2012 at 12:07am:
Who said you weren't welcome? If you got rejected, try again. You may have been mistaken for a French body suit sales person.

Now you tell me! I always put that I'm a French body suit sales person when I join YaBB forums. No wonder I couldn't get in!

Seriously, you publicly stated I wouldn't be welcomed because had you been able to do so in this forum, you would have banned me years ago. It's only logical that you wouldn't welcome me in a forum that you actually control. Hopefully, all that mess; misunderstanding; whatever is under the bridge.

But it's not a big deal. Just as I did in Carsten's forum for a really long time, my usual practice is to be a long time reader before I join; certainly before I post. Your forum was the first time I was able to see YaBB in a newer version, which of course I found impressive.

You have a great looking forum, and from what I saw the last time I looked around (in an earlier version), everything worked great. Your forum helped to get me all excited about this open source project again. I'm still jazzed about it!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top