Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic RSS feed not a real RSS feed? (Read 1,353 times)
lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

RSS feed not a real RSS feed?
Dec 5th, 2012 at 4:00pm
Post Tools
For some time now my YaBB RSS feed hasnt been working properly.  It generates a feed page when i click the button, but then when I feed it in to the feed validation service linked at the bottom of my forum it says:

"It looks like this is a web page, not a feed. I looked for a feed associated with this page, but couldn't find one. Please enter the address of your feed to validate."

I have no idea why and it means nothing will read the feed.  Sage seems to, but I want my iphone apps to beep when a post is made like they used to.  Right now they just say I don't have an RSS feed.

My forum address is http: // mhoried.dyndns.org / forum / YaBB.pl if anyone wants to play.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: RSS feed not a real RSS feed?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 5:42pm
Post Tools
Which browser are you using? Chrome has issues with RSS feed pages (needs an add-on.)

Firefox doesn't render any RSS properly (disregards a bunch of valid tags.)

And what button are you referring to? The RSS feed doesn't have a validation button that I can find, but when I take the source output of the RSS feed and run it though  the W3C RSS validator it's RSS.  (It does throw 2 errors concerning email and the name attribute - the name attribute is valid according to the RSS specs but not according to W3C.)

Edited:
I think you're trying to feed the webpage through the RSS validator, not the RSS - because the RSS feed doesn't even have that button.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2012 at 5:58pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:10pm
Post Tools
Thankfully, the RSS feed works for our forum in all of the browsers that were mentioned including Firefox of course.

Regarding Chrome, I had instructions about how to fix this, but along with a bunch of other posts of mine that were deleted when YaBB staffers were censoring my posts back in May of this year, I had instructions about how to fix the RSS rendering while using Chrome. Those instructions are of course now gone, sorry about that.

Dandello's post that basically covers the same issue is still here.

Note: For a quick reference, this link to fix the RSS rendering in Chrome actually only works properly while using Chrome. Otherwise, you'll be prompted to install Chrome.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 9:28pm
Post Tools
I am trying to run the feed in firefox, and in all kinds of iphone apps and my brainbox linux hugging friend mark can't get it to work in anything.  If he says we havent had a functional RSS feed for months then I'm inclined to listen to him.

I have fed both the web site and the adddress the RSS button points to through the the W3C RSS validator.  I also then fed the link from the RSS feed on these forums through it and it says that one works fine.

My RSS feed should be HERE.  That link loads something, but no readers recognise it.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 10:32pm
Post Tools
1 - non members get just the login page on your site (this will include anything you send to the validator from your site since W3C is not a member of your forum.)

2. in Admin -> referrer security, make sure both RSS sections are checked so programs outside of YaBB can access it.

BUT, referring back to 1: anyone without your forum's cookies on their computer will still get the login page, not the RSS feed, until you have a section that is open to guests.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 11:18pm
Post Tools
We just diagnosed this issue.  My paranoid housemate checked the option to stop guests even looking at the forum in fear that robots would steal our identities.  No one knew he did this.  We have been trying to work out what was wrong for months.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools