Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Smart phone notification support (Read 1,778 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Smart phone notification support
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 1:54am
Post Tools
lawnor wrote on Dec 7th, 2012 at 3:12pm:
I upgraded my forum the other day and nearky destroyed it.  Im not messing with it again until I have time off work to repair it when I break it again.  I'll follow your instructions then.  Thank you.

We have guest access disabled as my housemate believes robots will steal our identities if we don't so the rss feed doesnt work anymore.  I used it for that for that before my housemate got so paranoid.

it is cool and hope your housemate dont see this post but most Identity theft happens when you put legal and identifiable information in a bin without destroying it enuf more sources of Identity theft are from the place where you work and shops that ask for some info when you a shop card or home deliveries and even the postman can all be a sources of Identity theft so no point on getting paranoid just try to keep it as safe as you can with out the ott  Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 3:12pm
Post Tools
I upgraded my forum the other day and nearky destroyed it.  Im not messing with it again until I have time off work to repair it when I break it again.  I'll follow your instructions then.  Thank you.

We have guest access disabled as my housemate believes robots will steal our identities if we don't so the rss feed doesnt work anymore.  I used it for that for that before my housemate got so paranoid.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 12:14am
Post Tools
lawnor wrote on Dec 6th, 2012 at 9:59pm:
I suppose I could run off email notifications.  I just need to figure out how to give my forum email access first.  This does feel like an old fashioned way of doing it in the age of smart phones though.  I guess next time I have a few days off work I'm going to have to look into how to get emails to work from my forum.

it may be old but it utilize one of the main items that makes a smart phone a smart phone  Wink also if your forum has Guest access as in Guests can see the forum then if you have rss on you can use a rss feed app to get updates from the forum if you need more help with a app you may want to post this here http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=hacks or here http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=request and ask.

now to: to look into how to get emails to work from my forum

if you dont have a email on your host you can try this or if you need more help post back and we will see what we can do for you  Smiley

see http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1352589613/26#15

Quote:
you will also have to check setting in your gmail as well under "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"

ok to start Gmail Problems sending mail

Are you able to log in to the Gmail web interface?
Visit http://mail.google.com to log in to Gmail. If you see a CAPTCHA (a security image with distorted letters), you'll need to log in before you can enable.

next:

Here's how to enable POP in Gmail:
1.Sign in to Gmail.
2.Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
3.Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
4.Select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.
5.Choose what to do with your messages after your POP client or device receives them.

Although the radio button next to your selected option may not stay selected, Gmail displays the status next to 'POP Status:.' When you enable POP, your settings display 'POP Status: POP is enabled.'

If your POP settings are turned off, the status will indicate that POP is disabled.

next settings you will need:

1. Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS or SSL:
smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465

2. smtp login:
Account Name or User Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)

3.Password:
your Gmail password

YaBB Advanced Forum Preferences and Settings > Email:

Send emails using: Net::SMTP (Perl Module) or Net::SMTP::TLS (Perl Module)

SMTP-Server: smtp.gmail.com if this dont work try smtp.gmail.com:465 or smtp.gmail.com:587

Select SMTP Server Authorization Type: AUTO or try LOGIN or PLAIN if AUTO dont work

SMTP Authorization Username: your full email address (including @gmail.com)

SMTP Authorization Password: your Gmail password

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 9:59pm
Post Tools
I suppose I could run off email notifications.  I just need to figure out how to give my forum email access first.  This does feel like an old fashioned way of doing it in the age of smart phones though.  I guess next time I have a few days off work I'm going to have to look into how to get emails to work from my forum.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 11:52am
Post Tools
Quote:
If you use Thomas's Advanced Email Mod http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288356271 then you get the content of the new post as well in the email Smiley

do you know i had forgotten all about that  Roll Eyes@me

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 10:58am
Post Tools
If you use Thomas's Advanced Email Mod http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288356271 then you get the content of the new post as well in the email Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 10:14am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Dec 6th, 2012 at 9:34am:
I could be wrong but, I think he wants a notification when a new topic is started.

Yer and if you look at red box 4 you will see new topic  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 9:34am
Post Tools
I could be wrong but, I think he wants a notification when a new topic is started.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 4:02am
Post Tools
Hi lawnor

YaBB can do this already by means of email see pic and this is how i keep track of what is posted where.

^^^^^^^^^^^ i am a windows phone 7 user  Wink ^^^^^^^^^^^
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2012 at 4:05am by xnoddyx »  

btn.jpg ( 404 KB | 76 Downloads )
btn.jpg

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

Smart phone notification support
Dec 5th, 2012 at 11:43pm
Post Tools
I would love to see a smart phone app that can remain logged in to the forum and send notifications whenever new posts are made, or selected threads get updated or I receive a PM.  I'm happy browsing through the normal browser on my phone, but notifications would be very useful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top