Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic The YaBB Next Teams is working on our Next release (Read 14,809 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
The YaBB Next Teams is working on our Next release
Dec 7th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Post Tools
The YaBB Next Team is at work on 2.5.4 -
YaBB 2.5.4 will feature sub-boards that are data compatible with yabbforum.com's Next Edition.  The User Interface also will be getting a stylistic update and YaBB Admins will be happy to hear that 'timed-banning' is coming, along with a banning cleanup utility.

There's also very new, very different 'thinking through' underway.  This is 'outside-the-box' oriented and may provide new pathways for YaBB's future.  This is research-only at the moment, but it will not alter the roadmaps or benchmarks for YaBB Next as currently envisioned. The pathways may speed up some aspects of development and also open new opportunities for YaBB to provide new features.

Thanks to all the YaBB'ers and good luck

The YaBB Next Team.
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Chess Publishing

Re: The YaBB Next Teams is working on our Next release
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 8:08pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Dec 7th, 2012 at 10:11pm:
YaBB 2.5.4 will feature sub-boards that are data compatible with yabbforum.com's Next Edition.  The User Interface also will be getting a stylistic update and YaBB Admins will be happy to hear that 'timed-banning' is coming, along with a banning cleanup utility. 

Sounds perfect! Smiley

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 1:02pm
Post Tools
Just installed a test version of YaBB 2.5.4. on my server

Looking goooooooooooooood
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2012 at 1:03pm by »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 6:36pm
Post Tools
YaBB 2.5.4 will feature sub-boards that are data compatible with yabbforum.com's Next Edition.  The User Interface also will be getting a stylistic update and YaBB Admins will be happy to hear that 'timed-banning' is coming, along with a banning cleanup utility.

I too like the idea of having sub-boards. In our forum I kind of did that starting back in 2002 when I more or less assigned contributors their own topic; all under one board dedicated for that. The forum is much more organized that way, and it helps to organize our main site as well ... way better than how Facebook does it.
The "timed banning" feature is another great idea; way to go!  Smiley

On the good advice of a couple of YaBBers, I recently cleaned out our forum's "Ban List" as preventive maintenance to keep our forum running quickly. With the anti-spam measures we've implemented, we haven't needed to ban IP addresses; very happy about that.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

dcihon

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:12pm
Post Tools
Quote:
On the good advice of a couple of YaBBers, I recently cleaned out our forum's "Ban List" as preventive maintenance to keep our forum running quickly. With the anti-spam measures we've implemented, we haven't needed to ban IP addresses; very happy about that.

I just updated to 2.5.2 from 2.1 and I have a very large IP , Email, and Username ban list.
I am very interested in what anti-spam measures you did so I can also get rid of my ban list.
Thanks
Dan

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: The YaBB Next Team is working on our Next release
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:11pm
Post Tools
dcihon wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:12pm:
I just updated to 2.5.2 from 2.1 and I have a very large IP , Email, and Username ban list.
I am very interested in what anti-spam measures you did so I can also get rid of my ban list.
Thanks
Dan

There are 3 anti-spam measures I recommend, Derek Barnstorm's Anti-Spam Question mod, Carsten's SpamFruits, and ggn's anti-spam hack.

Depending on how many hoops you want registrants to jump through, you may want to use all three, or just one or two of them. Or switch them up; whatever works for you the best.

I think your version of YaBB may have the first two of those mods built in, and available to activate through your Admin Center.

Thanks to Derek Barnstorm's authoring of ggn's anti-spam hack for YaBB, with ggn's happy approval, and thanks to Dandello for putting it into the 2.5.4 version of YaBB, this mod will be available through the Admin Center as well.

You can see this mod in action at Dandello's 2.5.4 test forum (click the register button).

One of the cool things that she's done is to allow guests to participate in her forum, and she's able to do that without getting inundated with spammers by using that mod.

You can manually install ggn's anti-spam hack by following the instructions in this post. The option to have this anti-spam measure in the Admin Center will of course be a better way to activate it. Having it there will also make it easier to modify if or when modifications are needed.

Good luck in your forum. Let all of us YaBB admins keep spam-bots out for good! Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:41am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
The YaBB dev forum has moved to its own domain. The 2.5.4 section is at http://yabb254.yabbforumsoftware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Downloads will be at http://yabb254.yabbforumsoftware.com/254_down/index.shtml and the new QuickGuide is at http://yabb254.yabbforumsoftware.com/Quick-Guide_254/Quick-Guide.html

We're getting close to a Beta release and since the coding underpinnings are pretty much what was proposed for 2.6 and so different than the previous 2.5x code we're considering releasing it as 2.6.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2013 at 3:38pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Xonder
Jr. Developer
Development Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:02pm
Post Tools
Hello

Bill Myers wrote on Dec 22nd, 2012 at 6:36pm:
The "timed banning" feature is another great idea; way to go!  Smiley

Yes it go ... i have make this on my Mod Bann & Mod Functions for YaBB 2

I have also playing around on my YaBB 2.5.2  test board (look at attach images)  Smiley

The User Interface also will be getting a stylistic update and YaBB Admins will be happy to hear that 'timed-banning' is coming, along with a banning cleanup utility.

Lips Sealed Upppps ... i can stop my coding  Grin

lg XTC

bann.jpg ( 45 KB | 83 Downloads )
bann.jpg
bann1.jpg ( 53 KB | 88 Downloads )
bann1.jpg

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:37pm
Post Tools
Xonder wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:02pm:
Hello

Bill Myers wrote on Dec 22nd, 2012 at 6:36pm:
The "timed banning" feature is another great idea; way to go!  Smiley

Yes it go ... i have make this on my Mod Bann & Mod Functions for YaBB 2

I have also playing around on my YaBB 2.5.2  test board (look at attach images)  Smiley

The User Interface also will be getting a stylistic update and YaBB Admins will be happy to hear that 'timed-banning' is coming, along with a banning cleanup utility.

Lips Sealed Upppps ... i can stop my coding  Grin

lg XTC

looking good  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 5:21pm
Post Tools
Xonder wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:02pm:
Upppps ... i can stop my coding ... 

Your YaBB Server site looks great! Cool

Much like Facebook, I've always thought that it would be great to have a central location for people to create their own YaBB forums, but without having to be particularly knowledgeable about how to install a forum.

So if they could create their forums like Facebook is able to do with its accounts, I can easily see how that concept could be a smashing success.

With YaBB's software, the ability to organize is so much more user friendly than the way Facebook does it (even when considering its timeline feature).

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2013 at 5:23pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top