Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Had to turn off registration with admin approval (Read 1,751 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Re: Had to turn off registration with admin approval
Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 5:00am
Post Tools
freediver wrote on Dec 11th, 2012 at 4:45am:
Let me know if you want the code. It is mostly a bit of copying and pasting, with a few variable names altered. It is a bit messy, as I don't know how to do for loops etc in pl.

Thanks Smiley

I actually just finished doing it. I used a few pics related to the swamp and fishing. I think it came out pretty cool. Now if I could figure out how to disable it like the spam fruits can be.
Im now able to enable and disable.

You can see it in action here

Edited:
Hehe. I love seeing 'You failed the cajun check!' in the error log.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2012 at 11:29pm by WestwegoMan »  

spamswamp.gif ( 6 KB | 54 Downloads )
spamswamp.gif
<div class=

IP Logged

freediver

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 4:51am
Post Tools
Quote:
Or in freediver's case - what's the name of that location in the OzPolitic graphic.

That would make sense, except the aborigines have imposed a name change on us, and no-one could spell the old name correctly anyway, so I would have to include a few dozen correct answers.

Founding member of . I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 4:45am
Post Tools
Let me know if you want the code. It is mostly a bit of copying and pasting, with a few variable names altered. It is a bit messy, as I don't know how to do for loops etc in pl.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 4:28pm
Post Tools
freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2012 at 12:10pm:
The only mod I made was to add two additional spamfruit style questions, like clicking on Tony Abbot's budgie smugglers.

That should stop them.

I may have to look into doing something like that but maybe with fish. Kind of make it fit with my forum.

I also use the anti-spam question mod along with spamfruits and together they have been very effective at stopping spammers.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 3:43pm
Post Tools
freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2012 at 12:10pm:
Customised questions might be the easiest way to go. Anything 'non standard' should keep the spambots out. No doubt I keep out a few genuine users too.

A customized question(s) is probably the easiest way to go if you're using Derek Barnstorm's Anti-Spam Question mod. But some questions I've seen are so customized or obscure that it would be very difficult for anyone to figure out the answer(s). It's no wonder that those forums only have a relatively few members.

Funnily enough, when I used the anti-spam question mod, I actually provided the answers with the questions to make it really easy, and that mod still pretty much kept every spam-bot out. Silly spam bots.

Dandello wrote on Dec 10th, 2012 at 3:16pm:
And one really effective trick with the anti-spam question - custom questions that ask about things a bot can't see - like the background color on your logo.  Wink

Thanks to YaBB's easy-to-edit menu, a relatively easy and simple registration process is to change the registration scheme to "Only admin can register new members" so that the "Register" menu item is disabled, and disappears.

In place of YaBB's default registration process, you can add your own register menu item that links to a post in your forum that explains how to register (maybe posted in a Q&A section of your forum). Also, those instructions should be changed in your forum's help section, which is thankfully easy to do through YaBB's Admin Center.

Actually, anyone who's added any mods or changed the registration scheme should remember to change their forum's help section about it so that those instructions are correct.

In the post that explains how to register, which might include the reason for the registration process, i.e., explaining how this is your way to stop spammers from registering, you can simply have registrants send you an email request to join your forum.

Your reply will include their chosen username if it's available, and a temporary password that you can give them, which of course they can change to a password of their choice after they've logged on.

Gratefully, anti-spam measures for YaBB have been modded or hacked that effectively keep out spam-bots. But even if that hadn't been the case, there are obviously other ways to keep spammers out of a forum, and still have an inclusively open forum that allows people to easily register.
Good luck everyone, and good-bye to all spammers.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2012 at 3:52pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 3:16pm
Post Tools
The Minimum Registration Time looks very promising - I wish I'd thought of it.  Wink

And one really effective trick with the anti-spam question - custom questions that ask about things a bot can't see - like the background color on your logo.  Wink

(Or in freediver's case - what's the name of that location in the OzPolitic graphic.)  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2012 at 3:18pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 12:10pm
Post Tools
I have the 2.5.2 default questions, honeypot and spamfruits active. The only mod I made was to add two additional spamfruit style questions, like clicking on Tony Abbot's budgie smugglers. That seems to have worked for me, though I am not even sure if the extra spamfruit is necessary - I merely carried it over from my previous version, which had no honeypot or questions.

Customised questions might be the easiest way to go. Anything 'non standard' should keep the spambots out. No doubt I keep out a few genuine users too.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 5:06am
Post Tools
Steve Lowe wrote on Dec 9th, 2012 at 10:45am:
I have a big big problem as I have had to turn off the setting that allows admin to approve new memberships.

Has anyone any idea how we can sort this out ?
Thank You

I'm still using SpamFruits of course, and loving it because it continues to stop many attempted spam-bot registrations. But since I implemented ggn's anti-spam hack again to assist SpamFruits, not a single spammer has been able to register.

Previously when I used it, hundreds of thousands of spam-bot registrations had been stopped cold in a relatively short period of time (obviously including repeated attempts from the same IP address over and over again).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with our latest move, but our forum's current anti-spam measures have been so effective that we're once again allowing open registration without approvals. I can hardly believe it!

But you may not need to mess around with ggn's anti-spam hack because of a new mod called the "Minimum Registration Time" mod authored by Derek Barnstorm (see his details for this mod here). This mod will probably even defeat hu-bots.

Good luck!

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 8:02pm
Post Tools
Hi
Have you considered adding some mods as per Derek's link to Boardmod?

Or you may wish to upgrade to 2.5.2 which includes as standard Anti-spam modules: SpamFruits, HoneyPot and Anti-Spam Question with admin choice to activate.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Steve Lowe

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 7:34pm
Post Tools
I have just put it back to normal so you can look Wink

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 3:39pm
Post Tools
Worked okay for myself, took me to the closed registration page.

Link was very small  Smiley

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 11:50am
Post Tools
Steve, there are quite a few more Anti-Spam Mods at Boradmod - http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=beta_y25

I went to your forum and it wouldn't let me click the Register button to see how it looks.

Cheers

IP Logged

Steve Lowe

Had to turn off registration with admin approval
Dec 9th, 2012 at 10:45am
Post Tools
I have a big big problem as I have had to turn off the setting that allows admin to approve new memberships.
We were getting hundreds of applications a day by spambots so have had to stop any new members joining at the moment which is killing a great forum.
We have the fruit mod installed but this has not made any difference.
Has anyone any idea how we can sort this out ?
Thank You

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top