Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic UTF-8 characters in Forum Name? (Read 734 times)
Asen Rupchev
YaBB Newcomer

None
UTF-8 characters in Forum Name?
Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:36pm
Post Tools
I'm going to start a new forum on YaBB 2.5.2. It will be in bulgarian only using mainly the cyrillic alphabet and UTF-8 encoding. The tests results are excellent until now. But I still cannot put a forum name in bulgarian. The board uses UTF-8, but the Admin Center uses ISO-8859-1 and the forum name looks like in the picture attached. ISO-8859-1 obviously is the default charset. I have replaced it with UTF-8 in Main.lng file. Does anybody know what else is to be modified the forum to be entirely UTF-8 encoded?

Thanks,
Asen

forumname.jpg ( 23 KB | 46 Downloads )
forumname.jpg

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: UTF-8 characters in Forum Name?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 1:17am
Post Tools
You may have to hunt around for all the instances of the ISO charset being set, but I suspect the admin center will work under UTF-8.  (For the Admin Center it's set in Admin.lng.)

Just make sure to add in all the form tags 'accept-charset="UTF-8"' so ISO and Win charset stuff doesn't slip past. (That was a problem I had during my first attempt to move a forum to UTF-8 - all those Winword users  Cheesy )

Where I see a possibility of an issue is in attachments - YaBB's default is to transliterate non-English characters into ISO compliant ones. So you may want to keep an eye on how the files get renamed on saving.

Also there are some 'translation regexes' that convert some characters to html equivalents. Not sure if those will be an issue.

Please keep us posted on what works and doesn't work.  We are looking at moving YaBB to UTF-8 and having a forum making that move should be very helpful.  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2012 at 1:21am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Asen Rupchev
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: UTF-8 characters in Forum Name?
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 8:12am
Post Tools
Setting $yycharset = 'UTF-8'; in Admin.lng solved the problem. Thanks a lot Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools