Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Generating Interest (Read 2,156 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Generating Interest
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:36pm
Post Tools
Replys to
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
Oddly enough, just to see if it would work, I personally copied our forum to another domain on our dedicated server, and it too came up with a 500 error. Go figure.

from me have been moved to keep the post on topic.

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:39pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:33am:
Bill - that is exactly why we need you to join the beta testers.

Wink
So you're saying I should do more than just complain about stuff?  Smiley

Actually, I did download the newest version shortly after it came out so that I could give it a test run, but my poor little brain once again got stuck when a 500 error came up. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong on my end, so it should only be a matter of time before I figure it out.

I sometimes wonder how I ever got our forum set up in the first place. Roll Eyes

I'm tempted to use the 777 trick to get the new version operating, but I know that's not the right way to do it. Clearly, or maybe not so clearly, I'm bumping up against a permissions issue.

As for getting specific help here from you experts, there's no need. There's already plenty of help about this throughout the forum. I just need to make a real effort to give it another try, and set aside some time to do it correctly.

Oddly enough, just to see if it would work, I personally copied our forum to another domain on our dedicated server, and it too came up with a 500 error. Go figure.

It's a good thing I had one of the techs move the domains on our dedicated server over to a new dedicated server when we needed to shutter the old one (versus me doing it). I've done this myself plenty of times, i.e., moved/copied websites from one server to another, but I was somewhat paranoid about moving our forum, which is why I had the tech pay special attention to it.

At the time of our server move, I purposely kept our previous server intact for reference until our new server was operational, and everything was working properly including our forum.

But I digressRoll Eyes

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:33am
Post Tools
Bill - that is exactly why we need you to join the beta testers.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 1:06am
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Dec 14th, 2012 at 10:35pm:
I notice through Google there are actually hundreds of YaBB forums on the net. most of them have custom themes, maybe we should ask their admins if they would be interested sharing which may increase interest on the support forum?

Whats your views?

For that purpose, I think it's a good idea to get more people involved here in the support forum. Generally speaking, however, this support forum really should be working properly before it's showcased on a large scale.

I also think it would be better to hold off on making newer versions of YaBB available to the public at large until those versions are actually relatively bug free. I'd be surprised if most admins know as much about coding as you regulars know.

But maybe my perspective is wrong. If indeed version 2.5.2 is a stable version (that it actually works without too many bugs), then by all means, get as many people back to this support forum as you can (if this is the version that's being showcased). Especially for an open source project, the more people involved, the better it is for the public.

On each one of our Admin Center pages reads the following:

Quote:
There is a stable version available!
If you would like to download YaBB 2.5.2, please go to http://www.yabbforum.com/downloads.php.

Again, my perspective may be wrong, but it seems to me that bug reports keep being made about version 2.5.2 (even though it also seems that updated packages are being offered).

For me personally, and remember that I'm just a regular Joe, my preference is to wait until the latest stable version of YaBB is actually ready for the public to use. I'd rather not to have to constantly update it every time another bug is found.

But what do I know? My brain ain't as big as the rest of you here. Cheesy

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Generating Interest
Dec 14th, 2012 at 10:35pm
Post Tools
I notice through Google there are actually hundreds of YaBB forums on the net. most of them have custom themes, maybe we should ask their admins if they would be interested sharing which may increase interest on the support forum?

Whats your views?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top