Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: 500 Error during installation (Read 4,517 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Generating Interest
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:12am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:37pm:
hope this is of some help to you   Smiley

You've always been a big help to me, so thanks for your help again. It's appreciated.

I've been pretty good about location, file upload mode, and file permissions. Or so I've thought. The next time I try installing YaBB, I'll be sure to keep what you've mentioned in mind.

Thanks again.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: 500 Error during installation
Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:37pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
Oddly enough, just to see if it would work, I personally copied our forum to another domain on our dedicated server, and it too came up with a 500 error. Go figure.

ok a error 500 is like the swiss army knife of server error codes when the server give one its like a car owner calling a car mechanic and saying hay my car won't start what is up with it and for obvious reasons the car mechanic can't say over the phone what the problem is and he will have to see it and test some item's.
so back to the error 500 some items it may be.

1.Location
Did you upload your scripts into the right place? This is not as obvious as it may seem. Some servers are configured to run your CGI scripts anywhere. Others will only run it when it is installed in a particular directory. It is not just a matter of creating a "cgi-bin" directory - for example, some hosts configure the server so that it will run scripts only from a particular directory outside the web directory structure (for security reasons). Your web page will still call the script "/cgi-bin/script.pl" but the server maps it to the actual directory. You will have to upload it in the right directory, regardless of what your web page calls it. Find out such information from your web host's documentation.

2.File Upload Mode
Did you upload your Perl script in ASCII mode? Your FTP client may have uploaded the script in binary mode if you did not take any special action. Perl scripts are ASCII files, and since different operating systems have different ways of representing the end of line character (eg Unix uses a line-feed, Windows uses a carriage-return and line-feed pair), it is important that you set the uploading method to ASCII, so that line-end translation is performed.
Re-upload the script, this time making sure that it was uploaded in Text or ASCII mode. Do not use any auto-detection options since the FTP program might assume the extensions you are using for your scripts are for binary files.

3.File Permissions
Did you change the permissions on your script so that it can be executed on your web server? In most cases, simply uploading the Perl script to the server does not necessarily mean that it can run. On Unix web servers (like Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc), it is necessary to change the file permissions to indicate to the operating system that the file may be executed. If you have a Unix FTP client, set the permission ("chmod") of the file to 755, which allows the script to be executed by everybody. If you are using a Windows FTP program, find some way to change the permissions of the file to allow "Read", "Write" and "Execute" permissions for the owner, and "Read" and "Execute" permissions for the group and everyone else.

and so on.

but from

Bill Myers wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
Oddly enough, just to see if it would work, I personally copied our forum to another domain on our dedicated server, and it too came up with a 500 error. Go figure.

i have to say look at 1.Location.

hope this is of some help to you  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2012 at 7:44pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top