Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: 500 Error during installation (Read 5,289 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: 500 Error during installation
Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:37pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
Oddly enough, just to see if it would work, I personally copied our forum to another domain on our dedicated server, and it too came up with a 500 error. Go figure.

ok a error 500 is like the swiss army knife of server error codes when the server give one its like a car owner calling a car mechanic and saying hay my car won't start what is up with it and for obvious reasons the car mechanic can't say over the phone what the problem is and he will have to see it and test some item's.
so back to the error 500 some items it may be.

1.Location
Did you upload your scripts into the right place? This is not as obvious as it may seem. Some servers are configured to run your CGI scripts anywhere. Others will only run it when it is installed in a particular directory. It is not just a matter of creating a "cgi-bin" directory - for example, some hosts configure the server so that it will run scripts only from a particular directory outside the web directory structure (for security reasons). Your web page will still call the script "/cgi-bin/script.pl" but the server maps it to the actual directory. You will have to upload it in the right directory, regardless of what your web page calls it. Find out such information from your web host's documentation.

2.File Upload Mode
Did you upload your Perl script in ASCII mode? Your FTP client may have uploaded the script in binary mode if you did not take any special action. Perl scripts are ASCII files, and since different operating systems have different ways of representing the end of line character (eg Unix uses a line-feed, Windows uses a carriage-return and line-feed pair), it is important that you set the uploading method to ASCII, so that line-end translation is performed.
Re-upload the script, this time making sure that it was uploaded in Text or ASCII mode. Do not use any auto-detection options since the FTP program might assume the extensions you are using for your scripts are for binary files.

3.File Permissions
Did you change the permissions on your script so that it can be executed on your web server? In most cases, simply uploading the Perl script to the server does not necessarily mean that it can run. On Unix web servers (like Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc), it is necessary to change the file permissions to indicate to the operating system that the file may be executed. If you have a Unix FTP client, set the permission ("chmod") of the file to 755, which allows the script to be executed by everybody. If you are using a Windows FTP program, find some way to change the permissions of the file to allow "Read", "Write" and "Execute" permissions for the owner, and "Read" and "Execute" permissions for the group and everyone else.

and so on.

but from

Bill Myers wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
Oddly enough, just to see if it would work, I personally copied our forum to another domain on our dedicated server, and it too came up with a 500 error. Go figure.

i have to say look at 1.Location.

hope this is of some help to you  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2012 at 7:44pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Generating Interest
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:12am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:37pm:
hope this is of some help to you   Smiley

You've always been a big help to me, so thanks for your help again. It's appreciated.

I've been pretty good about location, file upload mode, and file permissions. Or so I've thought. The next time I try installing YaBB, I'll be sure to keep what you've mentioned in mind.

Thanks again.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 2:26am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:12am:
I've been pretty good about location,

yes you may have been but when i say
Quote:
look at 1.Location.

i am referring to this part
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:37pm:
Others will only run it when it is installed in a particular directory. It is not just a matter of creating a "cgi-bin" directory - for example, some hosts configure the server so that it will run scripts only from a particular directory outside the web directory structure (for security reasons). Your web page will still call the script "/cgi-bin/script.pl" but the server maps it to the actual directory.

1a. so it may just be that your server is setup to run scripts only from your yabb2 directory and thats why setting up a new forum outside of here won't work for you.

2.a but also at the same time it may be that only your yabb2 directory is set to run .cgi and .pl but that your root cgi-bin is only setup to run .cgi.

also as 1a but the root cgi-bin is not the same as your yabb2 /cgi-bin/yabb2 directory as your root cgi-bin may be a maped directory e.g.

say you have /home/a-d/username/host/username/www/public_html
and /home/a-d/username/host/username/www/cgi-bin
and the root ftp login is /home/a-d/username/host/username here you will also have /logs/ and so on, so your server is setup to run .cgi from /home/a-d/username/host/username/www/cgi-bin
but set to run .cgi and .pl from /home/a-d/username/host/username/www/cgi-bin/yabb2
also at the same time it may have a /home/a-d/username/host/cgi-bin and this is set to run .cgi and .pl and is also maped to www.mysite.co/cgi-bin but as the root ftp login is /home/a-d/username/host/username you cannot access this.

i have run a setup similar to this before so you may want to ask your host how your cgi-bin is setup especially if the only .pl scripts that will run are in your /cgi-bin/yabb2 directory  Wink

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 5:23am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 2:26am:
i have run a setup similar to this before so you may want to ask your host how your cgi-bin is setup especially if the only .pl scripts that will run are in your /cgi-bin/yabb2 directory  Wink

I think I got all of that, so I believe what you've explained makes sense to me. I'll have to check these things out when I get the chance.
Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:47pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved from this Topic.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 6:11pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:47pm:
This Topic was moved from this Topic.

In that case, then so too has this subject been corrected; at least from this point.  Wink

I still wish this forum's topic links would work correctly, but then, that's another topic altogether. Pretty please.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 7:46pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 6:11pm:
In that case, then so too has this subject been corrected; at least from this point. 

there you go all fixed for you  Wink

I still wish this forum's topic links would work correctly,

when you say that what do you mean?.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 8:19am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 7:46pm:
I still wish this forum's topic links would work correctly,

when you say that what do you mean?.

Try clicking the topic link above of "Installation and Setup on Linux, UNIX, Mac, and BSD Servers" and see what you get. The correct link should be here.

The example above is pretty much what happens throughout this forum. A number of us have mentioned these bad links over the last year or two, but nothing has ever been done about it.

It makes no sense at all for YaBB to showcase its forum like this. It's embarrassing. Embarrassed

Similarly, (particularly while using Firefox), the YaBB Codex here on this page still renders incorrectly even after it had been reported numerous times over the last year and a half or so.

The saddest part of all is that the rendering problem can be fixed within a few minutes at most. All that's needed are the correct image references to the language icons (it really is that easy). I figured this out myself a long time ago (and tested it locally), but evidently nobody on YaBB's staff who can make those edits seems to care enough to fix what is a really quick and easy fix.

These kind of otherwise small things are two of the reasons that I've suggested holding off on letting the public at large know that YaBB is back on track with a great future as I still believe it is. YaBB's showcase forum should show the public what YaBB can do; not show them the bad stuff.

What I finally learned to do was to kind of laugh about it, and just chalk it off to the idiosyncrasies of human nature. You have to admit that this is kind of funny. And beyond that, it's almost too hard to believe. Not fixing these relatively small issues defies explanation.
The last couple of years have kind of been like living in YaBB's Bizarro WorldSmiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 2:24pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 8:19am:
Try clicking the topic link above of "Installation and Setup on Linux, UNIX, Mac, and BSD Servers" and see what you get. The correct link should be here.The example above is pretty much what happens throughout this forum. A number of us have mentioned these bad links over the last year or two, but nothing has ever been done about it.

ah ok i think when you say topic link you mean breadcrumb navigation.

It makes no sense at all for YaBB to showcase its forum like this. It's embarrassing.

as to the YaBB showcase there is work going on to replace it as it is just a matter of watch this spaces. and when i say work going on i don't mean 9 -5 i mean a mind blowing amount of work going on and that is just scratching the surface.

and this is why we need as much help with bug finding and testing as we can get.

Similarly, (particularly while using Firefox), the YaBB Codex here on this page still renders incorrectly even after it had been reported numerous times over the last year and a half or so.

as to the Codex this may or may not be updated or may be replaced agen it is just a matter of watch this spaces.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Fixing this forum's problems one step at a time
Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 2:24pm:
ah ok i think when you say topic link you mean breadcrumb navigation.

Ah yes. That's the ticket.

xnoddyx wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 2:24pm:
as to the YaBB showcase there is work going on to replace it as it is just a matter of watch this spaces.

as to the Codex this may or may not be updated or may be replaced agen it is just a matter of watch this spaces.

Just so you're up to speed on this, these spaces have been watched for a couple of years (since at least last February regarding the Codex), and neither problem has been fixed in all of that time. We can watch all we want, but nothing will change unless somebody - anybody - makes the effort to fix these reported problems.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 6:42pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 5:47pm:
Just so you're up to speed on this, these spaces have been watched for a couple of years

sorry but i have to correct you on that, the team that is working now is not the same team as was working then and in the short spaces of time this team has been together there has been a lot of discussion on what if, how, when, some rethinking, and so on at the same time a learning curve for some of us also working out some kinks and all in all i think it has been a good job even with some of the setbacks that there has been.

new team est July 2012 and on.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Fixing YaBB's problems in a timely fashion
Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 6:42pm:
new team est July 2012 and on.

Actually, at least 3 of YaBB's current team members have been staffers longer than July 2012. Maybe you joined them back then, and it seems that a previous staffer is now back, but it's still pretty much the same team.

Thankfully, however, with good people like you on the team, and older team members once again being professionally supportive of the rest of us YaBBers, I've been quite happy with the results.

People will say that nothing's really changed, but I think it has in very good ways, so I hope I'm not wrong about this.

In any case, even if you were correct about a new team having gotten together in July, it's not good that these problems still exist.

But let's once again pretend that YaBB is starting up freshly again. Let's pretend that these problems are only now being discovered, and that there's some kind of schedule to get them fixed.

Let's see how long it takes this time. I'll be hopeful about it.  Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:41pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 3:01am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:40pm:
Actually, at least 3 of YaBB's current team members have been staffers longer than July 2012. Maybe you joined them back then, and it seems that a previous staffer is now back, but it's still pretty much the same team.

yes there are old team members on the new team but their roles and positions have changed Bill Myers wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:40pm:
pretend that YaBB is starting up freshly again.

there is no pretend that YaBB is starting up freshly again it is there is alot of code streamlining and cleaning going on this is why the 2.5 code was used for 2.5.2 -> 2.5.4 and so on you can see most of the RoadMap here

although i think there may have been some edits to it,
but even the redundant versions of YaBB like what is running here that some code will be used from will go threw the code streamlining and cleaning and making it more user friendly so by the end of it yabb will be where most of the users of yabb want it to be then next will be streamlining and cleaning and then on the road to the next big need of yabb  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: YaBB's fresh start
Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:18am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 19th, 2012 at 3:01am:
... there is no pretend that YaBB is starting up freshly again ...

Yes, I know this, and thanks for your illustration to remind us of one of the ways that YaBB is starting up freshly again. This is one of the reasons that I was renewed with excitement about YaBB. I still feel this same excitement.
Smiley Keep up the great work! Smiley

Ironically, YaBB has never really had a problem with its forum software. It's generally been pretty outstanding. In fact, it was so good that it was forked off to another forum software that's taken the lead in popularity, and enhancements. But for me personally, I still favor the original YaBB.

A long time ago YaBB gained a bad reputation because of problems with its Perl-based software (YaBB was attributed to causing resource allocation problems on many systems). I'm not a tech guy, so I don't know about this kind of stuff. All I know is that our forum has always run quite nicely to compliment one of our most popular sites.

But even reported "resource allocation problems" can be mitigated; that is, if developers will stick around to stay on top of things. Unfortunately, many developers left. Worse yet, a great many people using YaBB also left.

I don't know enough about the problems developers had, but I do know about the problems that bothered many of its users.

For one, it was not at all uncommon for users to be treated with disrespect, and unprofessional behavior. There was a gang mentality that pushed a lot of people away. Currently, this no longer seems to be a problem, but then, relatively speaking there aren't a lot of us left.

YaBB used to be the biggest, and the best. It doesn't have to be the biggest any longer, but it should become the best again. I think 3 simple things will put YaBB back on top, including the possibility that it can once again be the biggest.

1. Be professional and courteous to everyone no matter what the circumstances are.

2. Operate this forum with a stable version of YaBB that can showcase YaBB's great software.

3. Continue to work on YaBB's core to improve its features, and to address issues such as resource allocation problems. However, it's best to offer updated versions of YaBB only after it's been tested for stability, and it's relatively bug free (the forum software is working as it should).

If YaBB will take care of the basics, it will be primed for an incredibly bright future. It's already had a great past, and that legacy deserves to enjoy a proud future.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 9:54am
Post Tools
Bill
Have you had any resource allocation problems on your 2.4 forum? I take it the length of time you have been running, it has a fairly large membership?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools