Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Do not show Forum Statiistics on index page (Read 2,527 times)
CSK
YaBB Newcomer

None
Do not show Forum Statiistics on index page
Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:53pm
Post Tools
Is there a fairly easy way to NOT to show the forum statistics ... Clearly I don't really want people to be aware, at the start, that there are 0 members... That's a real put off. Who wants to join a forum with zero members?

I did locate http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1200682570 which seem to have some complex method and looking at the relative file (Boardindex.template) the code is different in version 2.5.2.

As my work around I simply html remmed the whole block out.
ie
<!-- Info Center block start -->
<!--
{all your code... then}
  -->
<!-- Info Center block end -->

I am surprised that there is no switch for this in the Admin section.

I assume that editing the templates is not a breech of conditions. I have not tested if this breaks the internal forum as yet. Tomorrow I'll look at not showing the number of posts etc (also a turn off with a new board)

Please let me know if I am posting the wrong section. Thank you.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Do not show Forum Statiistics on index page
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 9:28pm
Post Tools
Remarking out the info block isn't a breach of anything. (And is exactly what I would do.)

And the problem you're seeing is common to brand new forums. You probably want to make a bunch of posts yourself to give the impression of activity - and invite your friends to join and post. (Some people even create fake members so the place doesn't look so empty right at the beginning.)
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2012 at 9:30pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 10:16pm
Post Tools
As an admin you might wish to scroll through a few threads at the Admin Zone Forums

A lot of different topics on new forum operation  Smiley

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 11:38pm
Post Tools
And AAF (http://anotheradminforum.com/index.php) would love to hear from more YaBB users.  Grin

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 5:35am
Post Tools
Never heard of it, looks an interesting place with good discussions in progress  Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:11am
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Dec 22nd, 2012 at 5:35am:
Never heard of it, looks an interesting place with good discussions in progress  Cool

I've been reading AAF for some time now, as well as TAZ, and have found both forums very informative. One can learn more comprehensively about YaBB by reading other forums (including Carsten's forum).

What's interesting, but I guess not particularly unusual, is that people will sometimes act quite differently depending on what forum they're involved in, which can be very illuminating.

But I digress. After all, the subject of this topic is "Do not show Forum Statiistics on index page" as it's listed.

On that note, every forum starts out with just one member; the admin. But if a forum is created to compliment an existing site, the number of members large or small won't matter to those who want to join.

Build it, and they will comeWink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 4:20pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:11am:
On that note, every forum starts out with just one member; the admin. But if a forum is created to compliment an existing site, the number of members large or small won't matter to those who want to join.

The real key is content - if you're waiting for other people to join and create content for you, not going to happen. You, as admin, have to start the conversation. And that's why most advice for newbie forum owner/admins begins with: don't have more categories or boards to begin with than you can create content for.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 8:26pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Dec 22nd, 2012 at 4:20pm:
The real key is content

Identify / Create a niche market  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Showing Forum Statiistics will become moot
Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 2:10am
Post Tools
Having a niche market is far more important than anything else.

Ironically, creating your own content isn't a necessary component to having a relatively active forum. People who are interested in your niche market will create that content for you, and they'll want to share it with others.

So with a niche market you'll have a built-in community at large, which makes a YaBB forum a perfect place to grow that community.

Had YaBB been around when I started our most popular site back in 1997, I might very well have had it operate entirely as a forum. Instead, I gave myself a crash course in HTML, I learned how to transfer files onto a server, and our online community moved from a 16-line BBS to a personal website page before moving yet again to our own domain in February of 1998.

Before that in 1989 I got involved in one of our country's 1st online communities, which was sponsored by the City of Santa Monica, California.

In every case a niche market had been created, and interested parties contributed the content.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools