Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spambots as DDoS? (Read 420 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Spambots as DDoS?
Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:52pm
Post Tools
George Maschke wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 9:12am:
(I think the server may have some sort of spam flooding detection.)

maybe that with a properly configured firewall that will have IP Flood Detection and Request Flood Detection on to protect against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

George Maschke

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 10:40am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:17pm:
Excellent! One of the beauties of the flat-file system - once you have your backup, all it takes is upload time, checking CHMODs and editing one file to get YaBB up and running on a new server. (Been there, done that, should get the t-shirt.)  Wink

Actually, I didn't have to check chmod settings. I just uploaded a tarball of the "forums" directory and extracted it on the server. Smiley

I have, however, found it prudent to re-upload my 1.5 mb .htaccess file, which I had deleted, thinking that perhaps it was no longer necessary. The spam bots are really quite pernicious.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2013 at 10:45am by George Maschke »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 12:10am
Post Tools
George Maschke wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 10:40am:
The spam bots are really quite pernicious.

yes over the past three years i have seen spammers getting more aggressive with flooding and i have also seen some search engines getting more aggressive with indxing sites and starts to look like flooding one is msn search one i just found 44 msn search on the forum at the same time and this is a YaBB Fishing Forum i have seen this go up to 85+ on some forums there's just no need for it granted some search engines may find your site or forum interesting but does this give them the right to act like a mad stalker watching every post of every day i think not oh the joys of living in the world we live in lol.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools