YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Login default time? (Read 802 times)
 Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:21pm
There are no actions to perform.  

kestosippi 

None
Login default time?
From where I can change default login time?
Default is "Keeps" but I want change it to "1 hour" or somethink like that.

I think it is better if member use my YaBB-forum with public internet-PC and he do not log out.

YaBB 2.5.2
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:23pm by kestosippi »  

IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:05pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Re: Login default time?
goto admin > Forum Settings > then look down the page for Login then edit Default lifetime of login cookies.

Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:41pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
I've noticed that on YaBB 3.0 they decided to go with a 'remember me' checkbox instead of a list of user choices for cookie length.

Personally, I think this is a great idea (the default being unchecked) and should overcome this issue (as kestosippi's members can't be the only ones not logging out on public machines.)

Any thoughts?

IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:47pm

westwegoman 
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5
Sounds like a good idea to me Smiley

Never use both feet to test the depth of the water

IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:50pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Dandello wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:41pm:
I've noticed that on YaBB 3.0 they decided to go with a 'remember me' checkbox instead of a list of user choices for cookie length.

Personally, I think this is a great idea (the default being unchecked) and should overcome this issue (as kestosippi's members can't be the only ones not logging out on public machines.)

Any thoughts?

Obviously in kestosippi's case, a login default time of 1 hour can be implemented. Thankfully, whatever an admin changes can still be modified by members.

I think the way YaBB designed the login process is perfectly fine, so it really doesn't need to be changed.

If you mean what you wrote, that YaBB 3.0 chose to go with a "remember me" checkbox
instead of
a list of user choices, i.e., that this checkbox is in lieu of any other choice, that would of course be a terrible idea. It wouldn't even make sense.

But that can't be the case, so I must have read you incorrectly, and shouldn't have taken you so literally. Please clarify. I'm still coming out of a bad case of the flu. Arrrggggh!

So my gut's telling me YaBB 3.0 allows for more than just the "remember me" option, in which case that would be a good option to include.

Flu induced thoughts ahead; you've been warned:

Any time that a user has less choice in how they can use their membership, this is a bad thing.

I think too many admins disrespect their members in terms of being dictatorial about what they can or can't do. Obviously, sensible rules should be in place so that members in general can have the freedom to enjoy the place. But beyond that, too many rules is overkill.

Too many times I've seen admins drive away their members, and keep potential members from joining simply because they have obvious control issues. It's one of the reasons that so many forums have relatively few members.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 6:47pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
A number of other places where logins are saved on cookies offer the choice of 'remember me' to create a 'forever cookie' or else the cookie automatically expires when the user closes the browser.

Or (as in a lot of places) the 'forever cookie' only remembers the user name after the browser closes and the password has to be re-inputted for a new session.)

One possible option would be a mod that has a checkbox for 'Is this a publicly accessible computer' that when checked over-rides the 'forever cookie option' and makes it a temporary cookie - that way users don't have to worry about the selection box.

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2013 at 6:48pm by Dandello »  
IP Logged  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.