Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Login default time? (Read 929 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Login default time?
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 6:47pm
Post Tools
A number of other places where logins are saved on cookies offer the choice of 'remember me' to create a 'forever cookie' or else the cookie automatically expires when the user closes the browser.

Or (as in a lot of places) the 'forever cookie' only remembers the user name after the browser closes and the password has to be re-inputted for a new session.)

One possible option would be a mod that has a checkbox for 'Is this a publicly accessible computer' that when checked over-rides the 'forever cookie option' and makes it a temporary cookie - that way users don't have to worry about the selection box.

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2013 at 6:48pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:50pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:41pm:
I've noticed that on YaBB 3.0 they decided to go with a 'remember me' checkbox instead of a list of user choices for cookie length.

Personally, I think this is a great idea (the default being unchecked) and should overcome this issue (as kestosippi's members can't be the only ones not logging out on public machines.)

Any thoughts?

Obviously in kestosippi's case, a login default time of 1 hour can be implemented. Thankfully, whatever an admin changes can still be modified by members.

I think the way YaBB designed the login process is perfectly fine, so it really doesn't need to be changed.

If you mean what you wrote, that YaBB 3.0 chose to go with a "remember me" checkbox instead of a list of user choices, i.e., that this checkbox is in lieu of any other choice, that would of course be a terrible idea. It wouldn't even make sense.

But that can't be the case, so I must have read you incorrectly, and shouldn't have taken you so literally. Please clarify. I'm still coming out of a bad case of the flu. Arrrggggh!

So my gut's telling me YaBB 3.0 allows for more than just the "remember me" option, in which case that would be a good option to include.

Flu induced thoughts ahead; you've been warned:

Any time that a user has less choice in how they can use their membership, this is a bad thing.

I think too many admins disrespect their members in terms of being dictatorial about what they can or can't do. Obviously, sensible rules should be in place so that members in general can have the freedom to enjoy the place. But beyond that, too many rules is overkill.

Too many times I've seen admins drive away their members, and keep potential members from joining simply because they have obvious control issues. It's one of the reasons that so many forums have relatively few members.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
Sounds like a good idea to me Smiley

<div class=

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:41pm
Post Tools
I've noticed that on YaBB 3.0 they decided to go with a 'remember me' checkbox instead of a list of user choices for cookie length.

Personally, I think this is a great idea (the default being unchecked) and should overcome this issue (as kestosippi's members can't be the only ones not logging out on public machines.)

Any thoughts?

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Post Tools
goto admin > Forum Settings > then look down the page for Login then edit Default lifetime of login cookies.

Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

kestosippi

Login default time?
Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:21pm
Post Tools
From where I can change default login time?
Default is "Keeps" but I want change it to "1 hour" or somethink like that.

I think it is better if member use my YaBB-forum with public internet-PC and he do not log out.

YaBB 2.5.2
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:23pm by kestosippi »  

login-default-time.jpeg ( 21 KB | 44 Downloads )
login-default-time.jpeg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top