Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Converting 2.5 to 2.5.2 without losing settings (Read 10,211 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Converting 2.5 to 2.5.2 without losing settings
Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:32pm
Post Tools
The shebang is the first line in a Perl file. It tells the server where to look for Perl for the file being executed. For most Linux servers that line looks like
Code (Perl)
Select All
#!/usr/bin/perl -- 

BUT it could be (on a Window machine running Apache) 
Code (Perl)
Select All
#!C:\wamp\wamp\Perl\perl\bin\perl.exe -- 

Your hosting service should tell you what your's is - but since you don't know and YaBB is running on your server I'm betting the default of
Code (Perl)
Select All
#!/usr/bin/perl -- 

is the correct one.

For the other part - if you've upgraded to 2.5.2 and are using a copy of your old Settings.pl, all you have to do is log into your Admin Center, go through and make sure things look right and then hit Save. YaBB will have read all the settings and will go through the process of updating your Settings.pl and adding the new 2.5.2 settings to it.

And xnoddyx is very good at helping people with their upgrades and installs.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:34pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:20pm:
I'm kind of reminded of the old days of IKEA when practically nobody could follow instructions on how to put together furniture that needed to be assembled.

IKea still assumes all their users are Lego gurus. (Yes, their instructions  still read like putting together the Lego space shuttle.)

And the StopForumSpam mod is here: http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1315522544  (But add Carsten's SpamFruits and Anti-Spam Question first - they may be all you need. SMF is pretty high test.)
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:38pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:56pm
Post Tools
SMF is just a souped up version of YaBB with self-installation to make it work for the masses. I still prefer YaBB, and one of these days I think an easier way to install YaBB will be forthcoming. It's just a matter of time. Otherwise, YaBB's growth and popularity will remain limited.

Meanwhile, you and the rest of YaBB's team are to be applauded. I think you're doing quite an outstanding job when everything is considered.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

dave1111

None
Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:58pm
Post Tools
I was told about the mod for spammers that I will need an API Key from their website for the submit feature to work...

where do I get this API?

and Bill, yeah sometimes it gets crazy learning new software but in a nutshell I do love Yabb... used them on and off for many many years

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:02pm
Post Tools
dave1111 wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:58pm:
and Bill, yeah sometimes it gets crazy learning new software but in a nutshell I do love Yabb... used them on and off for many many years

I definitely prefer YaBB ... been using it since 2002.

I'm obviously biased about its use, but I nonetheless still believe that YaBB is the very best forum software anyone can use.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:03pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

dave1111

None
Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:09pm
Post Tools
Seems like the further I go I get more and more questions/problems. I hope someone can help.

for the mod, it states that the files below need to be edited.  But they dont say HOW to edit them or what to edit them to?  Can anyone help?

strangely   I also can not find these files.... I searched all directories and sub directories... there seem to be multiple admin directories but i searched them all.. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Files to edit:
----------------
AdminIndex.pl
Admin/Admin.pl
Admin/AdminSubList.pl
Admin/ModList.pl
Admin/ModuleChecker.pl
Admin/NewSettings.pl
Admin/RegistrationLog.pl
Admin/Settings_Antispam.pl
Languages/English/Admin.lng
Languages/English/Error.lng
Languages/English/Register.lng
Sources/BoardIndex.pl
Sources/Post.pl
Sources/Profile.pl
Sources/Register.pl
Sources/SendTopic.pl
Sources/SubList.pl
Templates/default/BoardIndex.template
Templates/yabb21/BoardIndex.template

I also checked the box to be notified of replies but i am not receiving emails.. any one have any ideas?

IP Logged

dave1111

None
Reply #21 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:33pm
Post Tools
i was told I need thees modes for the anti spammer mod to work

LWP::UserAgent
XML::Simple
XML::SAX

I looked on boardmod but can not fine them. I did a search and like 120 different mods came up. I had no idea which one I was supposed to download.

can someone help me find the correct mods to download please?

dave

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #22 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 1:25am
Post Tools
Those are Perl addons, not YaBB Mods. Ask your hosting service if you have them already and if you don't ask them to install them for you.

As for the files you can't find - those should all be in your cgi-bin/yabb2 directory. The other admin folder you are seeing is probably the one in yabbfiles and contains your graphics and the stylesheet file for the admin center.

As for getting notices of replies here - in your User CP ->Options make sure you've chosen 'yes' from the dropdown box in Post and Board Notifications. (The default is 'no'.)

(Drop xnoddyx a PM asking for help. He'll get you squared away. I suspect someone needs to actually take a good look at your setup.)

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2013 at 1:26am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

dave1111

None
Reply #23 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 1:46am
Post Tools
You are right. i did find those files but they tell me to edit them... what do I have to edit?  i dont understand.. Can you explain this further please?

thanks

dave

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #24 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:26am
Post Tools
  • Backup your forum and put the backup in a safe place
  • Assuming you're using Windows, go to http://www.boardmod.org/downloads.php, download BoardMod and install it.
  • Find where the program is on your computer, find a folder named 'Mods' and create a folder inside it named 2.5. (If you were modding 2.5.2 then that folder should be named 2.5.2).
  • download your chosen mod and unzip it onto your harddrive. Copy any *.mod files from the unzipped folder into your new Mod directory. (Mod\2.5)
  • create a  folder on your harddrive and copy your yabb2 folder from your site into it. (You do not need ./Messages or ./Members.)
  • Start the BoardMod program. It will direct you to find the folder that has YaBB.pl in it. You should also be able to find your mod in the right side window. Check the mod you want to install. BoardMod will make the necessary changes to your files. If it can't make all the changes, it won't make any changes at all and will tell you.
  • Assuming BoardMod is able to make all the necessary changes, upload your edited files to your server, replacing the old files.
  • upload to their proper places on the server any graphics or other additional files included in the zip file following the instructions in either the readme or in the .mod file itself.

If your files have already been edited, then BoardMod may not work. In that case you will need a text editor like Notepad++ (Not Notepad, WordPad, Word,  or any other word processor. The editor must be able to edit and save straight  ascii text without adding anything to it.)

You will need to follow the instructions inside the mod file exactly.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #25 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:39am
Post Tools
Detailed instructions on mod installation can be found here

Xnoddyx also has a video. He has a link to it in his signature.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:41am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:50am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:39am:
Detailed instructions on mod installation can be found here

Xnoddyx also has a video. He has a link to it in his signature.

And yes, there are more instructions (and much more nicely formatted with pictures)  and a video.

IP Logged

dave1111

None
Reply #27 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 4:16am
Post Tools
Hi and thanks for your help... I am stilll havng a very difficult time...

"download your chosen mod and unzip it onto your harddrive. Copy any *.mod files from the unzipped folder into your new Mod directory. (Mod\2.5)"  I can not find any files with a .mod extension.  Nor can I find a directory named Mod.  I do have a directly named "Modules". is that what you mean?

how do I "Start the BoardMod program."  ?

very lost...

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 4:25am
Post Tools
You have to download boardmod and install it first. Then you will have a folder within the 'program files' folder on your PC titled 'boardmod'. Then in that one will be a folder titled 'mods'. Within that folder you will have to make a folder titled 2.5.2 and paste the mod file in it.

Your folder will be something like C:/program files/boardmod/mods/2.5.2

The *.mod refers to any file with an extension of .mod. These will be found in any particular mod package that you download from boardmod.org.

So to recap, you need the boardmod program then you need to download the mod that you would like to add to your forum.

Check out the video and link mentioned in above posts. They should help out a lot.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2013 at 4:29am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

dave1111

None
Reply #29 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 4:34am
Post Tools
I cant even find this video. I went to the site. I see  bunch of images but no video. I am really more lost now than ever.

I dont see any video here http://www.mervingraves.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?custompage=boardmod

I have no idea where to download the board mod.

i already downloaded the anti spam mod to connect with "stop forum spam" and dont know what to do with it . I do know I need the board mod but I dont have it....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Topic Tools