Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Search Feature (Read 4,800 times)
donjusko
YaBB Newcomer

Search Feature
Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:49am
Post Tools
My Search feature doesn't work at all. I have SP 1.3.1
I put in my own handle and it shows no results.
It's been long time since I did work on the forum and I forgot how to bring up source pages. This would be handy even if it's not the answer.

IP Logged

donjusko
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Search Feature
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:40am
Post Tools
Can I import the Help version in this YaBB Next Edition to my forum? It's much more informative.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:39pm
Post Tools
donjusko wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:40am:
Can I import the Help version in this YaBB Next Edition to my forum? It's much more informative.

unforchantly you can't the help files that come with the version of YaBB you have are for that version just the same for YaBB 2.3.1 and the current version YaBB 2.5.2 as the information in here is version specific.
if you need a current version Help you will have to update your forum.

donjusko wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:49am:
My Search feature doesn't work at all. I have SP 1.3.1
I put in my own handle and it shows no results.
It's been long time since I did work on the forum and I forgot how to bring up source pages. This would be handy even if it's not the answer.

and i am sorry but i have to disagree with you i have tested your Search and it is working good for me see pics.

sh1.jpg ( 72 KB | 50 Downloads )
sh1.jpg
sh2.jpg ( 115 KB | 58 Downloads )
sh2.jpg

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Upgrading your help files - Re: Search Feature
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:03pm
Post Tools
donjusko wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:40am:

You can update the help section yourself as you want to improve it. I know in version 2.4 it's very easy to do through the Admin Center ... can't remember if you can edit the help section in the same way with your older version. But even if you can't, you can always update it the way you want by accessing a local version of your help files, and then uploading your edited versions.

I think the newest version of YaBB may be stable enough for you to upgrade your older version even though it was made available to the public before the bugs were worked out. Just please be careful about your upgrade since that's quite a jump.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:04pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 8:57pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:03pm:
I think the newest version of YaBB may be stable enough for you to upgrade your older version even though it was made available to the public before the bugs were worked out. Just please be careful about your upgrade since that's quite a jump.

Haven't found all that many bugs and most of the fixes are available as easy to install mods using BoardMod.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:11pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 8:57pm:
aven't found all that many bugs and most of the fixes are available as easy to install mods using BoardMod.

I'm glad to know there aren't all that many bugs.

In the future, I wish that YaBB would take a leadership position among forum software developers by only giving users updated versions after they've been adequately tested. That would be very refreshing!

What I noticed almost from the start is that YaBB needed to include "easy to install mods" to fix bugs that should have been noticed during the testing phase. Basically, what YaBB does is have the pubic test its newest version with the hope not too many bugs will be discovered.

This is of course typical of pretty much every other forum software developer out there. I just wish YaBB didn't choose to follow that terrible lead. YaBB is better than that; or at least it should be better than that.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people who will wait for a truly bug-free version to be made available to the public; as bug-free as possible, so it's "buyer beware" when upgrading too soon.

To those of you who are installing YaBB's latest version, and testing it for the rest of us, thank you.  Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:21am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:11pm:
truly bug-free version to be made available to the public; as bug-free as possible, so it's

it is impossible to expected that a truly bug-free version ever and yes i here you ask why.

why there are so many different server setups from the os that runs to the version on them to how that os is setup also to what perl version how perl is setup how it works with the os that it is running on also what bugs are in the perl versions that you are running on and how not to get hit with it also the number of people testing it as well and unforchantly in the case of YaBB this is a very low number of people that take up the challenge of being a tester and bug finder so as you can see middle ground is the place to be so it will only be as bug-free as possible on the up side compared to most i think we have the lowest bug count compared to others  Wink but of course correct me if you think i am wrong.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 8:09am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:21am:
it is impossible to expected that a truly bug-free version ever and yes i here you ask why.

I agree.

The point I'm making is that YaBB released its newest version earlier than it should have, I guess because they were excited about it.

Don't forget that within a short period of time of its release, mods were written and made available to fix bugs that had been missed. Simply put, that says the new version was released too soon. The new version simply hadn't been tested long enough.

This is a pattern that I wish YaBB's developers will one day break.

Don't forget that when YaBB began using Next Edition a couple of years ago (the version this forum uses), bugs were reported from almost the start, and yet, a number of these same bugs still exist today with no fixes having been made.

Thankfully, YaBB Next Edition had never been released to the public. Can you imagine? Wink

So please, for the love of YaBB, don't rush out newer versions until they've been adequately tested. People like me aren't asking for the impossible. We're simply asking for YaBB to be sensible about it.

On the note of releasing new versions of YaBB, the process seems very disjointed even though I know it's a sincere effort. I guess we have Yabb 2.5 and 2.5AE and 2.5.2 and 2.6 and 2.7 I think I read someplace and ... all of these versions are coming out, I guess in place of YaBB Next Edition, which I guess at one point was called version 3.0 and so on and so forth.

As far as I can tell, the definitive answer about what's really going on is here in Corey's post.

I have to presume that any and all bug fixes have been included in the download page versus any of us having to install mods to add to YaBB's most recent stable version.

But hey, what do I know? I'm one of those webmasters who has only used two different versions of YaBB. I started in 2002 with YaBB Gold and a couple of years ago upgraded to version 2.4 that I still use.

Maybe in 2020 I'll upgrade to whatever YaBB's newest version is then. Cheesy

IP Logged

donjusko
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 9:11am
Post Tools
Hi JohnX, Bill and Dandello,
I would like very much to change my Help file to the YaBB 2.5 version.
Or, as Dandello said, 2.5 is stable.
JohnX, as you said, you can use my FTP to upgrade to a newer version and keep all the data I have in 1.3.1 the same. Do you still need to be assigned as an Admin?
JohnX, can you give me the URL to access my local version? It's been so long I forgot it.

JohnX, After reading what you wrote above, you pick the version you think I should use. Install it when you have time. I still can't make the "Sticky-Lock" work on the Topic "How Do I Register" or see any of my Smileys (they are not so important) Thanks for putting it in red type, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2013 at 1:01pm by donjusko »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 6:26pm
Post Tools
Despite my personal frustrations about the different versions of YaBB that seem to be available for testing (overall I'm glad of it), 2.5.2 seems to be the official one to use. If Dandello says that it's stable, then you can trust it is. She's a YaBB resident expert, and even writes this stuff, so she knows it very well. So unless she says differently, if you upgrade to that version, your forum should be in good shape.

John happens to be YaBB's resident installer if you will, and really knows his stuff. You can't go wrong with him behind you.

I'm excited for you, that you'll be upgrading your forum, which of course means you'll be upgrading your help section as well.

After your upgrade, you'll be happy to know that you can easily change your help files through the Admin Center to fit your forum specifically.

Good luck with your forum, and have fun with it!  Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 11:57pm
Post Tools
donjusko wrote on Jan 11th, 2013 at 9:11am:
I would like very much to change my Help file to the YaBB 2.5 version.Or, as Dandello said, 2.5 is stable. JohnX, as you said, you can use my FTP to upgrade to a newer version and keep all the data I have in 1.3.1 the same. Do you still need to be assigned as an Admin?

yes i will need to be a Admin for this and yes i will need your FTP login info and your host's control panel login info if you don't have FTP login info.

donjusko wrote on Jan 11th, 2013 at 9:11am:
JohnX, can you give me the URL to access my local version? It's been so long I forgot it.

ok when you say give you URL access  to local version.
what do you mean by this?
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2013 at 1:41am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

donjusko
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:22am
Post Tools
I sort of remember I had two choices adjusting the forum, working from the forum links or working from the code, I assume they were on line. There was one called .pl and .settings and more that I'll get into when I see them. Maybe I won't have to dicker with the new version, maybe everything is perfect as is and can be done from Admin. I don't remember what I did to my version and it's been years since I worked on it. Something happened to my Smilies and I just let it go. The same with being able to set files to Sticky. I have a link tester and the forum does terrible. My site only has one bad link and I don't know how to find the problem or I'd fix that one too.

I'll sent you the FTP info in an IM and make you an Admin, I'm not sure of how yet, I've never had another Admin. Thanks for putting up with me. Don

PS, I'm not getting notices from this forum when there is a new post here, I'm just keeping the site loaded in my browser and refreshing it.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:32am
Post Tools
User CP > Profile > Options

Set "Notify me of new Notifications by eMail?" To "yes" to receive email notifications.

IP Logged

donjusko
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 7:25am
Post Tools
There is no "yes"
(this is checked) Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic.
The counter for Bill and myself is stuck.
The forum doesn't show all the posts while I'm posting. Sometimes you have to go back and look at a post so you don't have to re-modify.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2013 at 7:30am by donjusko »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 7:40am
Post Tools
donjusko wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:22am:
and make you an Admin, I'm not sure of how yet

ok goto admin > Member Controls > View/Delete Members > find my user name click on it > then click on Modify > Preferences > Position:
or goto Members >  find my user name click on it > then click on Modify > Preferences > Position:

I sort of remember I had two choices adjusting the forum, working from the forum links or working from the code, I assume they were on line. There was one called .pl and .settings and more that I'll get into when I see them.

ok i know what you mean now for the yabb you have there was .cgi or .pl
the one you have is the .cgi the files you a talking about are YaBB.cgi and Settings.pl you can see them in ftp this is how you uploaded them

Something happened to my Smilies and I just let it go.

i just did a test and Smilies was working for me.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top