Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Search Feature (Read 4,647 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Search Feature
Reply #40 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 6:21am
Post Tools
donjusko wrote on Jan 15th, 2013 at 4:53am:
That looks good, thanks. And thanks for telling me where to find the code. I should have remembered but I didn't. Geez, I typed this before noon and didn't send it.

it is cool as for your new forum i will get back to your PM on there after some sleep do you want me to move it to where your old forum is now and make the old forum a archive for you so that your members are not getting confused.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

donjusko
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #39 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 4:53am
Post Tools
That looks good, thanks. And thanks for telling me where to find the code. I should have remembered but I didn't. Geez, I typed this before noon and didn't send it.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #38 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 4:24am
Post Tools
donjusko wrote on Jan 14th, 2013 at 3:50am:
FTP= Sent email

Right now all of my links don't show as links until you mouse over them, how can I change them back to either blue or underlined?

i just got the email will do the work for you after some sleep Wink

i have made the edit's for you if you need to edit them more goto admin > Edit Your Forum Template

and you will see

Code
Select All
A:link        {text-decoration: none; color: #0000ff; font-style: normal; text-decoration: underline}
A:visited     {text-decoration: none; color: #0000ff; font-style: normal; text-decoration: underline}
A:hover       {text-decoration: none; color: #ff0000; font-style: normal; text-decoration: underline} 

this will edit the links.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

donjusko
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #37 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 3:50am
Post Tools
"ok cool but you may want to have a link to the forum more to the top of your home page but this is just a suggestion to make it more user friendly.
for the ftp info you can send me it in a PM or in a email."

Done, The forum is now on the top of:
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/forumpaintingonlocation.htm
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/00OpenMeFirst.htm
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/forumlinkedpage.htm

FTP= Sent email

Right now all of my links don't show as links until you mouse over them, how can I change them back to either blue or underlined?
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2013 at 3:57am by donjusko »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #36 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 7:15pm
Post Tools
donjusko wrote on Jan 13th, 2013 at 7:11am:
Ok, you are a YaBB Administrator

cool i will have a look for you and see if it all looks ok in there for you

donjusko wrote on Jan 13th, 2013 at 7:11am:
I can't do much with the amount of the Categories, they have to stay. How should I send you my FTP information securely? Email?

ok cool but you may want to have a link to the forum more to the top of your home page but this is just a suggestion to make it more user friendly

for the ftp info you can send me it in a PM or in a email.

Jan 13th, 2013 at 7:54pmEdited:
ok just had a look and it dont look like you have More Smilies as this page is empty.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2013 at 7:54pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #35 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 4:45pm
Post Tools
To get the extra smiles into a newer edition of YaBB they need to be uploaded to your server and put into to the 'yabbfiles/Smilies/' directory where YaBB should be able to find them automatically.

In your case, find where the smilies that are working are on the server and upload the others into the same place (and maybe copy all of them into the yabbfiles/Smilies/' directory if it's there.

If this doesn't work then likely someone's going to have to take a look at your actual setup because the smilies you do have should be showing up in the 'More Smilies' popup.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

donjusko
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #34 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 7:11am
Post Tools
1. ok goto admin > Member Controls > View/Delete Members > find my user name click on it > then click on Modify > Preferences > Position:
or goto Members >  find my user name click on it > then click on Modify > Preferences > Position: = Ok, you are a YaBB Administrator

2. ok i know what you mean now for the yabb you have there was .cgi or .pl
the one you have is the .cgi the files you a talking about are YaBB.cgi and Settings.pl you can see them in ftp this is how you uploaded them
Don: Right, I knew there was something I forgot.. I had downloaded the cgi-bin files, adjust them as I want an upload them to the same place. I remember everything now.  Roll Eyes

3. i just did a test and Smilies was working for me.
Don: The test you did was from Quick Reply, those are the standard smilies. No one can post images from their computer in Quick Reply so that isn't used much. When I click on the link "More Smilies" it's empty.

The problem I have is in the Reply mode. There is only an empty Smilies box there, I had a lot of my own smilies in the box and they are gone. While going through my cgi-bin files I found where I could change the size of the box, maybe even refill or remove it. I think it was in... (I forgot already) I can't find it.

I figured out how to make a post Sticky, I didn't scroll down far enough. Shocked
In another post you mentioned the problems I had with not finding the forum fast enough. I fixed that, now it's at the top. How Do I Register > Send me an email and I will register you. > Subject= Register me please
artist@realcolorwheel.com

I also cleaned up: Take me to the RCW website > Here is the RCW website > (Made the page easier to read)

I can't do much with the amount of the Categories, they have to stay.
How should I send you my FTP information securely? Email?

YaBB_logo9-17-03.gif ( 3 KB | 47 Downloads )
YaBB_logo9-17-03.gif

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #33 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 4:17am
Post Tools
It's pretty clear what the problem is, and that is YaBB chose to use Next Edition at least a couple of years ahead of it being ready. Baby steps hardly got us into this mess. It was the polar opposite.

You can't make this stuff up. This was one of YaBB's colossal mistakes.

So what you do as a lover of YaBB is kind of laugh about the absurdity of it, and hope it never happens again. What you don't do is to pretend that it never happened. What you don't do is to keep telling people that everything is fine.

Everything is not fine, and to pretend otherwise is absurd. But at least the good news is that things will be fine again; eventually. So we can focus on the good news, and just live with a busted forum as we have been for the last couple of years until those baby steps take us back to where we're walking again.
The emperor has no clothes (you just have to laugh about it). Smiley

But hey, again to go back to the original topic, the search feature seems to work just fine. Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #32 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 11:52pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:49pm:
What you don't seem to know ... surprise ... is that discussions about replacing this forum's software have been going on for a couple of years now.

I think the problem was that the current version that YaBB is running on (3.0) has sub boards and the past versions do not. (up to 2.5.2)

2.5.4 will have sub boards so, as i understand from past posts, a roll back may be possible wherein the past it wasn't.

Baby steps... Moving forward one step at a time Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #31 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:49pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:22pm:
there is no point in rushing out a replacement and end up with the same as you are replacing.

I agree. However ...

What you don't seem to know ... surprise ... is that discussions about replacing this forum's software have been going on for a couple of years now. Every few months I'll mention it, and nothing ever gets done about it; well, other than to give excuses.

In any case, as I mentioned to you back around June I think, let's see how much longer it will take to actually replace this forum's software with a relatively stable version.

Like I mentioned a couple of years ago, I'm still looking forward to it. Wink

And on that note ...

Dandello wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:19pm:
The current plan is to build something that preserves all the data, has the look and feel of what's currently here, but everything works. And the easiest way to do that is to build on a platform that we already know works rather than trying to track down bugs where the culprit could be in any of a dozen places.

That makes good sense to meSmiley

In any case, I'm much more confident about YaBB moving forward with Dandello on the team than before YaBB got her directly involved. She knows what she's doing, and that's good enough for me. I can't imagine that she'll allow another couple of years to go by without making sure that YaBB is once again using a relatively stable version of its software in its own forum. And if she stays on the team, I don't think she'll allow that kind of mistake to be made again.

I was just once again pointing out the obvious; that these discussions are nothing new. Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #30 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:22pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 8:59pm:
It seems from pubic comments made about YaBB Next Edition from a couple of people on the team, it's so messed up that they aren't really going to bother to fix anything, or to even make an attempt. I guess it's kind of beyond repair.

I think the plan ... eventually ... is to figure out a way to somehow preserve the membership, messages, etc. in this forum, and replace Next Edition with a stable version of one of YaBB's newer versions to showcase. Evidently, this is a complicated process that even YaBB's experts haven't figured out how to do yet.

Let's be frank about it, and state the obvious. This forum has been messed up for a very long time, so in a way it kind of doesn't matter how quickly things get fixed. It is what it is. Hopefully, however, YaBB won't let another couple of years go by without doing something about it.

But back to the topic of YaBB's search feature; at least that seems to be working okay. Wink

Edited:
Dandello wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 8:45pm:
Board alerts work here, topic alerts don't. My suspicion is that is has to do with the code that makes the dropdown topic tools box as I had trouble getting it to work right for 2.5.4 (which is why there's no topic tools dropdown box over there.)

Thanks for the clarification. I can stop scratching a hole in my head ... too much brain leakage, and I can't afford to lose what little I have. Cheesy

it is not that it is so messed that not going to bother to fix anything it is just why waste time and effort on a item that is going to get replaced when the replacement is on it's way that is like fixing up your old car just to scrap it when you have been to the dealership and have paid for a new car and are just waiting for delivery.
also there is no point in rushing out a replacement and end up with the same as you are replacing.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #29 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:19pm
Post Tools
The current plan is to build something that preserves all the data, has the look and feel of what's currently here, but everything works. And the easiest way to do that is to build on a platform that we already know works rather than trying to track down bugs where the culprit could be in any of a dozen places.

Looks are easy, functionality is hard.

Subboards look simple from the outside - but the actual implementation is anything but simple. A single change in a variable call can create cascading failures in places you'd never suspect. So we're taking it one step at a time.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:24pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #28 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Post Tools
It seems from pubic comments made about YaBB Next Edition from a couple of people on the team, it's so messed up that they aren't really going to bother to fix anything, or to even make an attempt. I guess it's kind of beyond repair.

I think the plan ... eventually ... is to figure out a way to somehow preserve the membership, messages, etc. in this forum, and replace Next Edition with a stable version of one of YaBB's newer versions to showcase. Evidently, this is a complicated process that even YaBB's experts haven't figured out how to do yet.

Let's be frank about it, and state the obvious. This forum has been messed up for a very long time, so in a way it kind of doesn't matter how quickly things get fixed. It is what it is. Hopefully, however, YaBB won't let another couple of years go by without doing something about it.

But back to the topic of YaBB's search feature; at least that seems to be working okay. Wink

Edited:
Board alerts work here, topic alerts don't. My suspicion is that is has to do with the code that makes the dropdown topic tools box as I had trouble getting it to work right for 2.5.4 (which is why there's no topic tools dropdown box over there.)

Thanks for the clarification. I can stop scratching a hole in my head ... too much brain leakage, and I can't afford to lose what little I have. Cheesy

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #27 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 8:53pm
Post Tools
My suspicion is that is has to do with the code that makes the dropdown topic tools box as I had trouble getting it to work right for 2.5.4 (which is why there's no topic tools dropdown box over there.)

oh i just thought you was saving that for 2.6  Roll Eyes@me

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #26 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 8:51pm
Post Tools
Board alerts work here

Ha! Learn something new everyday. I hadn't noticed that was available before. Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top