YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Topic Tools

threads not updating (Read 6,217 times)
 Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:22am
There are no actions to perform.  

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Re: threads not updating
with the testing i was doing on the core copy from your forum i was not having any probs so all i can think of is if for you to run your forum in Board in Debug Mode to help you and Dandello out.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 12:00pm

freediver 

None
I don't think it fixes itself later. As far as I can tell it only fixes itself when I run maintenance.

It only seems to happen with some threads.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2013 at 12:02pm by freediver »  
Founding member of .... I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged  
 Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 1:56pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
freediver wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 12:00pm:
It only seems to happen with some threads.

are they all big threads or doesn't it matter

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 12:07am

freediver 

None
It seems that it is only the big threads, but I am only going by what the members report. I'll try to pay more attention to the URL number after I post, as that seems to be a symptom that is a bit easier to reproduce.

IP Logged  
 Reply #19 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 2:55am

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Ok cool and i will run some more tests and see what happens

YaBB install help video
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #20 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:34am

freediver 

None
It has started happening on threads with 2 or 3 pages now.

When you hit reply, the post appears in the thread summary below - the bit where you can hit the mark and quote button.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:35am by freediver »  
IP Logged  
 Reply #21 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 2:07pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
Without trying to do a deep analysis, I tend to agree with Dandello's assessment of server latency.

That could be due to a variety of factors and almost all of them would be a function of knowing specifically how the server was set up. No two ISP's are really set up the same, its a function of the training and work preferences of the systems engineers that implement the provisioning systems (like Cpanel WHM Plesk etc) and the business model that the bean counters, CEO/CFO and the Lead Engineer decided was acceptable.  There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth, disk space, memory or processor power. They are all finite. ALL hosted servers are at some level under-provisioned, they have to be to make money - just exactly as is the case in telephony/telecommunications.  

Nothing ever gets to 100% usage because engineering theory tells you the system will stop running at somewhere between 85%-95% utilization of any one critical element. In telephony, the first thing you begin with is a traffic study to determine the number of channels needed (how many live calls, not how many extensions). On servers its the same kind of math - how many accounts can we put on x amount of hardware with y amount of bandwidth - knowing that it will (on average) z% utilized.  

It might be very useful to ask your friends what utilizations/resources you are maxing out.

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

IP Logged  
 Reply #22 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 10:04am

freediver 

None
Thanks. I'll give that a go.

IP Logged  
 Reply #23 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:52am

freediver 

None
From hostgator:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting HostGator support! It would be my pleasure to assist you today. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your forum. I have looked at your server, and see that you're not hitting the CPU cooldown, nor is the node killing processes due to being out of memory.

I have also looked at the error logs, and it would appear that the only errors your YaBB forum is experiencing is unrelated, and due to a missing image:

[Thu Feb 07 21:46:46 2013] [error] [client 49.176.101.238] File does not exist: /home/ozpolit/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars/xxxx.jpg, referer: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324343869
[Thu Feb 07 21:46:47 2013] [error] [client 49.176.101.238] File does not exist: /home/ozpolit/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars/xxxx.jpg, referer: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324343869
[Thu Feb 07 21:46:47 2013] [error] [client 49.176.101.238] File does not exist: /home/ozpolit/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars/xxxx.jpg, referer: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324343869
[Thu Feb 07 21:46:48 2013] [error] [client 49.176.101.238] File does not exist: /home/ozpolit/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars/xxxx.jpg, referer: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324343869
[Thu Feb 07 21:46:49 2013] [error] [client 49.176.101.238] File does not exist: /home/ozpolit/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars/xxxx.jpg, referer: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324343869
[Thu Feb 07 21:46:50 2013] [error] [client 49.176.101.238] File does not exist: /home/ozpolit/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars/xxxx.jpg, referer: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324343869
[Thu Feb 07 21:46:50 2013] [error] [client 49.176.101.238] File does not exist: /home/ozpolit/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars/xxxx.jpg, referer: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324343869

While you may be experiencing issues with the MySQL timeouts, as they are set rather conservatively, I have been unable to find any indication that this is occurring.

Are there any specific steps we need to take to be able to reproduce this issue on our end? If we can reproduce the issue, we may be able to watch the logs at the same time to see if anything relevant occurs.

Unfortunately, this lack of data in the error logs means that the issue is most likely with your YaBB forum, and not with server configuration. However, should the developers of this software offer any insight as to why this might be occurring, or if they make a suggestion that you need any assistance in implementing, please let us know by updating this ticket accordingly, and we will be more than happy to assist you however we can.

Please let us know if this issue persists, if you have any additional questions , or if this solution does not address your concerns.

Best regards,

IP Logged  
 Reply #24 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 1:29am

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Isn't this a flat file data set up? Why would a flat file forum be hitting against mySQL issues?

And I've seen minor server latency issues with my XP/Apache testbed - they don't always show up in server error logs - because they're not crash and burn errors.

Now, this is a wild guess, but does this happen more when the forum is really really busy? It could (and again this is a wild guess here) be the server isn't locking/locking the files fast enough for them to be properly updated. I'm thinking this may not show up as a server error as child processes are simply ending before the file gets written to and unless there's a specific error call for when that happens, it won't get caught.

JonB obviously knows more about this than I do. And I admit I could be completely wrong.

IP Logged  
 Reply #25 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 4:33am

freediver 

None
It is hard to tell when it happens, because it only gets noticed when the thread moves on to the next page. It is probably happening all the time but no-one notices because they don't check that their new post is visible.

I thought the same thing about sql.

IP Logged  
 Reply #26 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:48pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
ok i have seen this happenDandello wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 1:29am:
(and again this is a wild guess here) be the server isn't locking/locking the files fast enough for them to be properly updated. I'm thinking this may not show up as a server error as child processes are simply ending before the file gets written to

and is due to the server not locking the files

freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:52am:
CPU cooldown, nor is the node killing processes due to being out of memory.

but as you are on a VPS i don't see how you can be out of memory as i would only expected that on a normal hosting and JonB will correct me if i am wrong.

as you are on Level 6 VPS with 2304MB ram aren't you ?

YaBB install help video
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #27 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:09am

freediver 

None
I think I am on level 5.

http://www.hostgator.com/vps-hosting/

Hostgator is offering to help more with this, but I think they need some specific guidance on what to look at.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:11am by freediver »  
IP Logged  
 Reply #28 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 5:42pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
freediver wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:09am:
I think I am on level 5.

cool i was just going with what you had here
freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 9:02am:
$100 per month wasn't enough

it is good that they are going to look at this more for you
JonB is more able to help you with this as he is our server expert.

YaBB install help video
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #29 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 4:06am

freediver 

None
I checked my error messages. The last 300 span just under 5 minutes (half an hour is more typical). 95% are this:

[Fri Feb 15 20:55:16 2013] [error] [client 122.108.175.170] File does not exist: /home/ozpolit/public_html/forum/avatars, referer: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1197528317

They are all from the same IP address. The correct path to avatars is:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/yabbfiles/avatars/

Is this someone trying to hack my site, or slow the server down?

IP Logged  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.