Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) threads not updating (Read 8,633 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: threads not updating
Reply #58 - Aug 3rd, 2014 at 1:58pm
Post Tools
Yeah - that's a little strange. There's a page 5 but only the poll shows up. If you look at that thread file is there something strange there in the last entry? (Like a bunch of | marks?) The CTB says there are 60 replies but only 59 are appearing.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #57 - Aug 3rd, 2014 at 10:11am
Post Tools
This might be related - the last page on this thread is blank, but has the headers:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1406942036/60#60

Founding member of . I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #56 - May 31st, 2014 at 10:19pm
Post Tools
Based on some things JonB and I have discussed - there is the possibility that you're looking at 'data collisions'  - two or more instances of the same files being open and written to at exactly the same time. IN THEORY one process or the other must take presidence, BUT if the system accepts the inputs in one order in adding to a thread file but then messes up the order of the inputs in the associated files - well, things can get pretty messed up.

My suspicion as to why it's more likely to happen to a big and busy forum is the more users using the forum at the same time, the greater the likelihood that two users will have submissions to the same thread or additions to the same section hitting the server at exactly the same time.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #55 - May 31st, 2014 at 9:20am
Post Tools
I found what appears to be the same bug in the bugs "fixed archive":

http://www.yabbforum.com/cgi-bin/community/YaBB.pl?num=1214555341/1

Does that mean it is fixed? I couldn't see anything in the thread about it being fixed. They made it sound like a common bug.

They were not aware of the symptom that when you make a post the post number in the URL does not match the actual post number.

They had an interesting theory that it was caused by two people posting at the same time, and the person who hit reply second hits post first.

IP Logged

freediver

Reply #54 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 12:07pm
Post Tools
Does anyone understand this? I asked them how much they had increased the settings on the two occasions they changed them, and how much further I can go.

Quote:
Hello,

The settings that were raised are below, these settings can be raised to higher values, but the more httpd threads and cgi processes being spawned brings you closer to your memory limit. When that happens it is best to move up to a higher level VPS or Dedicated.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------
ServerLimit 4
MaxClients 256
MinSpareThreads 64
MaxSpareThreads 128
ThreadLimit 64
ThreadsPerChild 64
ThreadStackSize 2097152
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

<IfModule mod_fcgid.c>
FcgidMaxRequestLen 1073741824
FcgidIdleTimeout 360
FcgidBusyTimeout 180
FcgidProcessLifeTime 3600
FcgidMaxProcesses 64
</IfModule>

IP Logged

freediver

Reply #53 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:15am
Post Tools
Hopefully this fixes it:

Quote:
You got that because the server was handling as many requests as it was set up to and new ones were timing out.

I have reviewed the load on your server at the time and determined that it is safe to increase the limits for httpd and cgi. I have increased these to allow more connections while still protecting the server stability. Please keep an eye on your server and let us know if you have any further issues.

IP Logged

freediver

Reply #52 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 5:18am
Post Tools
I think we might be getting somewhere now:

Quote:
Reviewing the logs which I am only seeing a few time outs do to the following.

[Sat Sep 07 13:15:29 2013] [error] [client 157.56.93.187] (2)No such file or directory: unable to connect to cgi daemon after multiple tries: /home/ozpolit/public_html/forum/YaBB.pl
[Sat Sep 07 13:15:29 2013] [error] [client 5.10.83.58] (2)No such file or directory: unable to connect to cgi daemon after multiple tries: /home/ozpolit/public_html/forum/YaBB.pl
[Sat Sep 07 13:15:30 2013] [error] [client 199.16.186.98] (2)No such file or directory: unable to connect to cgi daemon after multiple tries: /home/ozpolit/public_html/forum/YaBB.pl
[Sat Sep 07 13:15:31 2013] [error] [client 66.249.74.191] (2)No such file or directory: unable to connect to cgi daemon after multiple tries: /home/ozpolit/public_html/forum/YaBB.pl

This is around the time that your server was under a large amount of requests. Which with a perl script it can time out if there is enough requests to the specific request in a fast amount of time, as the connection gets overloaded for the cgi daemon.

IP Logged

freediver

Reply #51 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 11:26pm
Post Tools
I had a "page not updating" problem reported this morning, then ran forum maintenance and that fixed it. I think that previously when I ran forum maintenance it did not make any difference.

I am paying US$110 per month at the moment for hosting, which I think should get me pretty good service.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #50 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:56pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the update. Cool

Particularly when a YaBB forum suddenly has problems after it's been operating just fine, it seems that there is an issue with the host.

Your host seems to be very responsive. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #49 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 9:18am
Post Tools
I leaned on hostgator a bit more and they seem to have fixed it. The error with the number of unread PMs has disappeared - no idea how, I did not do any maintenance. I am not aware of any remaining "thread not updating" issues and have asked the members to keep an eye out.

Some details below - they could not track to cause of the missing google ad code.

I noticed a couple of issues while investigating your VPS. Allow me to address them with you at this time.

1) The resolvers for the server that were set in your /etc/resolv.conf file were not correct for the network your server is hosted on. I have updated this file at this time.

root@web [/home/ozpolit]# diff /etc/resolv.conf{,.bak}
1,6c1,2
< options timeout:1
< options rotate
< nameserver 8.8.8.8
< nameserver 8.8.4.4
< nameserver 209.244.0.3
< nameserver 209.244.0.4
---
> nameserver 4.2.2.2
> nameserver 4.2.2.3
root@web [/home/ozpolit]#

2) I have optimized the Apache service on the server by adding the following to the apache configuration:
HostnameLookups off
KeepAlive On
KeepAliveTimeout 2
MaxKeepAliveRequests 102

ServerLimit 2
MaxClients 128
MinSpareThreads 64
MaxSpareThreads 128
ThreadLimit 64
ThreadsPerChild 64
ThreadStackSize 2097152
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

The biggest CPU usage comes from the following script on the server:
root@web [/home/ozpolit/public_html]# cat YaBB.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "
<p>
You have followed a broken link.
Please let the admin know where you followed this link from. We have been trying to track down the source of this error.
</p><p>
You can <a href=http://www.ozpolitic.com/contact.html>contact the admin here</a>, where you will also see a working link to our forum, if that's what you are looking for.
</p>
";root@web [/home/ozpolit/public_html]#

This appears to be called from errors caused by missing Googe Ads or other ad software on the page. Please see the attached screen shot for confirmation. If you require further assistance with this issue please let us know.

IP Logged

freediver

Reply #48 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 11:51am
Post Tools
Thanks. my site is down right now.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #47 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 12:47am
Post Tools
freediver wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013 at 12:08am:
ping tester

you can do that from the cmd on windows but for speed testing a website this is the item you are looking for is http://tools.pingdom.com it is best to run the test 3 - 4 times this is a website speed test you can also do the same from IE developer tools as well just now with http://tools.pingdom.com I get this for your forum
Quote:
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/Y…

Tested from New York City, New York, USA on August 2 at 01:32:46

Page size519.1kB Load time 2.25s Requests 104 Perf. grade 75/100 Your website is faster than 65% of all tested websites

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #46 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 12:08am
Post Tools
I have discovered that you can bump the thread and then delete the extra posts. This appears to correct to the issue with the thread.

On another note, I am getting more complaints about the site being slow. However I am not sure how to interpret these as the site seems OK to me. Can anyone recommend a good ping tester or similar?

I am still planning on finding a new host when I get time.

IP Logged

freediver

Reply #45 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:11am
Post Tools
Quote:
Your server is not using Fastcgi at this time as it is using suphp. Also as Yabb is a perl script. We show no signs that mod_fcgid is causing an issue with the script. As by default the server is not configured to run perl scripts under fastcgi.

IP Logged

freediver

Reply #44 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 9:55am
Post Tools
Another response:

Quote:
Hello,

The suPHP handler works more closely like php-cgi. Your server supports mod_fcgid which is a bit different from fcgi. Both PHP and Perl will run under mod_fcgid.

Are you trying to install a particular piece of software? Are you having trouble with some of the software provided on your VPS? Perhaps we can help if we had a little more information on what it is you are trying to accomplish.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top