Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) After migration to new server, threads no longer marked as read (Read 2,350 times)
Frank W
YaBB Newcomer

After migration to new server, threads no longer marked as read
Jan 17th, 2013 at 10:01am
Post Tools
Hello,

I today migrated my yabb Forum (Yabb 2.4) to a new server. It runs on the same domain, just the path changed a bit because it was migrated from suse to ubuntu. So it is no longer to be hosted under srv/www but var/www. Anyway that was no problem, I adjusted the paths.pl and the forum seemed to be working fine. Anyway now I stumbled about a problem, that threads are no longer marked as read when I open them. If I go back to Forum Index, the thread is again marked as unread. Anyone has a clue, why this is so?

Thank you in advance

yours Frank

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: After migration to new server, threads no longer marked as read
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Post Tools
after the move did you run Maintenance Controls ?

Edited:
Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Rebuild Message Index
Recount Board Totals
Rebuild Members List
Recount Membership
Rebuild Members History
Rebuild Notifications Files
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:24pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Frank W
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:28pm
Post Tools
I did. I rebuilt all the indexes and lists twice. Did not change anything.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:42pm
Post Tools
ok thank you for that have any of your members reported this or is it only you that is having this problem? also is it ok if you send me the url and your login info in a PM so i can test it.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Frank W
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:47pm
Post Tools
The problem is the same for all users. I tested it with an existing user and added a new user to try this. Everything else works fine. You can add new posts, reply etc. he just not marks anything as read. Even if I click the "mark all read" button on the front page and reload the page there again are unread threads. I send you a PM with the data.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:09pm
Post Tools
are all of the .js in /yabbfiles/ also did you check that all files have the correct CHMOD

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Frank W
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:12pm
Post Tools
The .js files are there, it's a one to one copy done by the migration manager of the plesk administration interface. As far as I have seen and checked, all chmods are right, but I will check em again. In which files yabb saves the read/unread state of certain threads for a user?

Yours Frank

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
Frank W wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:12pm:
The .js files are there, it's a one to one copy done by the migration manager of the plesk administration interface. As far as I have seen and checked, all chmods are right, but I will check em again.

a server migration can make some problems if user permissions are not setup correctly on the new server do you have access to the server logs?

Frank W wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:12pm:
In which files yabb saves the read/unread state of certain threads for a user?

see http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1224094402 top of page username.log

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Frank W
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 6:25pm
Post Tools
Quote:
a server migration can make some problems if user permissions are not setup correctly on the new server do you have access to the server logs?

I have access to the logs but the apache error log shows nothing yabb related.

Quote:

These files all have the right permissions and are also created newly if I access a thread. So still no clue Sad

Edit 1: I just discovered something even more funny. For every user, the same threads are unread. Seems like yabb is using the same logfile for all users. Thats odd. Any idea?

Edit 2: I just tested it. I deleted the .log file of a user. Afterwards the same threads as before were marked as unread, nothing changed. I then visites an unread thread and a new user.log file was created but the thread was still unread anyway.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2013 at 7:28pm by Frank W »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 7:52pm
Post Tools
Since you were able to add a new member, the CHMOD for the folder is correct, but are the CHMODs for the *.log files correct?

When you open a *.log file, what's inside it? (There should be lists of things like: '1345832898|1345992783' - the first is the thread and the second number is a Perl time stamp.

The subroutine that writes to the 'mark as read' doesn't throw an error if it can't do its job, so there won't be anything in any of the error logs.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2013 at 8:01pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Frank W
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 8:18pm
Post Tools
As said above, I even deleted the .log file of a user, and yabb created a new one but the threads are still unread no matter what I do, and all the users have the same unread threads, what is odd the most. The newly created files consist of e.g. small|1358449712 which seems odd, cause I didn't expect other things than numbers in there. Is that correct?

Edit: I discovered something new, the .log file is not growing, it is always only 1 line big, but this line changes when I visit a thread. Is this of any help?

Yours, Frank
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2013 at 8:35pm by Frank W »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 9:46pm
Post Tools
The name refers to an entire board - so that's okay.
What isn't okay is the fact that instead of the file being added on to, all the data's being replaced. Which means (most likely) that the subroutine 'dumplog' isn't getting the proper time information in so it can determine which timestamps it should not remove. It's only supposed to remove items that are too old or have been marked via javascript as unread. (and the determination if something's too old comes from DateTime.pl.)

There's a variable called $max_log_days_old that may have gotten set to 0 or nothing. It should be in Advanced Settings -> Advanced.

Make sure it's set to a reasonable number like 60 or 90.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2013 at 9:48pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 3:57am
Post Tools
Actually, I did some experimenting - setting $max_log_days_old to 0 makes it so no boards are ever marked as unread because they're over the age limit.

What it seems to look like is the log isn't being properly written to. Instead of keeping the old info in the file, it's erasing everything and appending the last entry. Has the version of Perl changed?

IP Logged

Frank W
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 5:14am
Post Tools
The perl version on the old server where everything was running well was 5.8.8. On the new server the perl version is 5.14.2. I also checked the $max_log_days_old it is set to 90

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 5:47am
Post Tools
There is one time where I've actually seen this happen - when the post time stamp was in the future (as in the server time was way off or I had hand edited the time  on a post to make it appear as though it had been posted in the future.).  Are there any posts that are showing up as read? How old are they?  Do the times on the actual Posts make sense?

Also be advised there may be issues with running YaBB 2.4 on Perl 14. See: http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1344021417
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2013 at 5:58am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top