Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The State of The YaBB - 2013 (Read 16,644 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: The State of The YaBB - 2013
Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 5:01pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 3:34pm:
JonB wrote Yesterday at 11:24pm: the inodes count issue  Ah, yes, forgot that one. Lost count of the number of times I had to reformat with more inodes.

i am not a Linux man but i been doing some looking on the inodes count issue  and to fix it all you need to do is use REISERFS FILE SYSTEM  rather than going with ext2/ext3, Because REISERFS FILE SYSTEM have the inbuilt capability to handle millions of chunks of files one of the pages i saved when i was looking at this is Using the New Linux ReiserFS Filesystem http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/625421/Using-the-New... but as i am not a Linux man i can't test it but i think it is worth a try if some one can test it.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 7:02pm
Post Tools
Ext4 is now the Linux 'favorite default' - for a variety of interesting reasons:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/the-major-difference-betw...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=reiser4_linux35&num=1

verrryyy eeenteresting...

Cool

Edited:
Its a good topic for servergeeks  Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 7:46pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 7:02pm:
verrryyy eeenteresting...

I'm guessing this may not be what you meant by interesting, but the following bit of news is interesting:

"Hans Thomas Reiser (born December 19, 1963) is an American computer programmer, entrepreneur, and convicted murderer."

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:00pm
Post Tools
Actually Bill, that was part of the verrrry eeeenteresting comment.  One of the topics I linked has a 'side thread/link on that issue.

Generally, the exotic filesystem choices only come into play when you have your own Unix/Linux server.  This severely limits their adoption.

Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:02pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Post Tools
Problem with Reiser is real world performance. Or lack of. Yes, you'll find benchmarks that sing its praises. I'll tell you here and now, its not suited to a busy YaBB

To keep my old YaBB site up, I had to turn off ext3 journalling, and disable atime on the mount that held it...   ...and that was on a mirrored pair of disks, managed by a HP SMART Array P400 with 512Mb battery backed write cache, set to 75% write, 25% read (without journalling, need to get commits straight into the battery backed cache asap - and Linux does an OK-ish job of read caching itself).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo