Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The State of The YaBB - 2013 (Read 15,611 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: The State of The YaBB - 2013
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 11:07pm
Post Tools
I've always supported YaBB despite my criticisms over the years, and I feel very good about its current team members who are behind YaBB's vision, and its implementation.

I don't know if using MySQL is a key to making YaBB even better than it already is, but as Jon pointed out, MySQL is evidently in YaBB's future. Besides, I'm not too concerned about this one way or the other because I feel pretty confident that YaBB's team members will see what works, what doesn't work, and they'll adjust their plans accordingly.

One of the things I like most about YaBB's plans is that it seems to have been very carefully thought out, and its vision seems very promising.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:32pm
Post Tools
Fireblade - you are entitled to your opinions.

However, if you had read the Roadmaps, you would know that we also have a MySQL version planned.  'How' we get there is a design philosophy choice.  What broke YaBB's progress was a fundamental difference of opinions between developers on coding standards and whether to build a hybrid filesystem. YaBB Next has chosen a path that will have both a flatfile YaBB and an optimized MySQL version of YaBB without compromises. 

But, I will now also ask why you think MySQL is some magic key?  Because everyone else has it? Or is it because of integration issues? Or scaling?  You say 'it's dead' - I say 'not'.

We may have a different idea/vision of how to 'get there' that you are unaware of. 

Good Luck
Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

fireblade103
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:40pm
Post Tools
sorry to say it john, ik know ron better then you, and he gave yabb up before we did.

he would not beat a dead horse..

sorry again.. Cry

IP Logged

fireblade103
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:12pm
Post Tools
as long as there will be no database, YaBB is dead. Embarrassed

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
The State of The YaBB - 2013
Jan 23rd, 2013 at 4:53pm
Post Tools
Greetings to our fellow YaBBers and Forum Freaks everywhere.

What is the 'State of the YaBB'?  The state of YaBB is 'flowing smoothly'. The YaBB Next Team is on track with the current road-map for our next scheduled release; YaBB 2.5.4 with sub-boards. YaBB Next 2.5.4 is anticipated to replace YaBB 3.0 Beta flat-file on the YaBBForum.com Community server. To ensure data compatibility, we are currently beginning the acceptance testing for 2.5.4 on a closed Yabbforum.com server clone. YaBB 2.5.4 will feature improved CSS/HTML, a 'new look' theme, plus a standard 2.4 series look for an easy transition. Sub-boards will not be the only new feature in 2.5.4. There will also be improved administrative and security functionality, plus several long-asked-for improvements to Messaging and Posting. We are working on UTF-8 interface improvements for better support of non-latinate character sets, and we will have several new language packs for 2.5.2/2.5.4. The core-code improvement project is also continuing. As new code and rewrites are done, they are being brought up to the standards outlined in the YaBB Code-i-festo. An Open Beta 2.5.4 will soon be announced, followed by testbed and beta evaluation. So spring will see a 'goodie' for you, probably before the Easter Bunny arrives in YaBBLand. In a software project, what really matters is improved functionality and a better user experience. The key to that is YaBB Next's continued dedication to reliable and stable code.

The YaBB Next Team is also testing an open source 'bug tracking' system. We are doing the testing with 2.5.2 and 2.5.4 bugs and fixes in order to create a single fix/build stream that will be open to all. In the future, all patches/fixes will be posted on the bug-tracker so no forum 'board searching' will be required. On the same quality control track, we have added a Current Build Board on YaBBForum.com.  When a 'bug fix' is tested and certified, we will build a complete new sub-release and post it in .zip and .tar.gz packages.  This is effectively the current main SVN branch for that release.  We are also maintaining/retro-fixing 2.5.2 and working on the 2.5.4 Alpha.

We are starting on the think-through of a completely new installer. Several alternatives are being considered, and we may have several installation options as a result. Also in the works is a re-organization of the Admin Center. We are opening a Think Tank topic on the Admin Center rework.  The 2.6 major release road-map will be updated after the 2.5.4 release is published.

In 2013, YaBB Next will continue its transformation into a front-end open source platform for forums with improved transparency and an inclusive 'big-tent' model for collaboration.  The YaBB Next Team has done an outstanding job, and we should thanks them all. I think Ron Hartendorp would have been proud.

Let the YaBB flow...
Wink
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2014 at 2:20pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top