Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic A taskbar item will not appear - not a YaBB problem, but ... (Read 1,220 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
A taskbar item will not appear - not a YaBB problem, but ...
Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:00am
Post Tools
I just noticed a post that Dandello made here (see the partial quote below), and it reminded me of another person who posted help about a taskbar item that couldn't be seen when it was opened (unrelated to Dandello's answer).

Dandello wrote on Jan 26th, 2013 at 11:01pm:
The problem has to do with Smilies needing more height than the text.

The usual smilies are around 18px tall. If it still jumps, adjust the line-height and min-height upwards.

It's amazes me how much Dandello knows about how to resolve issues related to YaBB. She's like an online YaBB encyclopedia; simply blows me away. I can easily say the same thing about JonB and xnoddyx who seem to always be able to come up with answers to solve any problem that's presented. Others, too.

Okay, so while the following isn't related to YaBB directly, I've posted this information because the guy giving the answer reminded me of those in this forum who are always so helpful to YaBBers in need.

Reported Problem:

Quote:
A taskbar item doesn't seem to open in a window when I hover over it, and then click it to open. How do I get it to show?

Answer/solution:

Quote:
This situation can happen when you change your screen solution, and it's mostly seen when you change your monitor, which has a different resolution. Use the following steps to solve the problem:

1. Close all open windows (optional: help decrease the confusion with other running applications).

2. Alt+Tab - then select the program window that is having problems.

3. Alt+Space - this will show the program's window's menu that has the "Move" option.

4. Memorize the location where the menu appears (usually on the left or the right corner of the screen).

5. Navigate to the "Move" option then Left-Click/Enter

6. Hold the Arrow Key using the opposite direction from where the menu appears to move until you actually see the program's window. (e.g., If the Menu appears on the left corner --> you hold the Right Arrow key).

As it happened, however I messed it up, the RealDownLoader icon in my taskbar showed that it was in use, but when I clicked to open it up in a window on my desktop, it didn't appear anywhere.

Thankfully, I found the question and answer above, and it solved my problem. The guy who solved it, I thought to myself, "How did he know to do this?"

I love intelligent people! Cool

Admittedly, I didn't fully understand the answer/solution above. I was flummoxed. But eventually I got it.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:05am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: A taskbar item will not appear - not a YaBB problem, but ...
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 1:56am
Post Tools
I have to admit, I knew the solution off the bat because that darned newsfader made my boards jump too. So I tinkered around until I found something that worked. (The other solution is to not add smilies to the board news.  Roll Eyes )

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 7:08am
Post Tools
YaBB's Forum News is a nice option; a pretty cool feature. However, I chose not to use it because any news we want to publish in our forum is easier for me to copy and paste from the main part of our site into a menu window at the top of our forum. There we can use HTML, which gives us many more options, and it shows up more clearly on top of the white background we use in our forum's menu window.

Being an HTML guy from long ago, I'm used to my old ways, which is another reason I like YaBB; seamless integration of HTML into YaBB's template.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 4:55pm
Post Tools
Yep - anyone who has used smilies or Gifs in YaBB news has had at least one case of 'Jumpin YaBB' - drives people nuts!  And that's a tiny area really.  I did it with an 'Xmas' item year before last.  It does not take much to turn your most faithful users into members of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo